Classic toy & Transformers toy gimmicks you'd want to return in future TF toy lines.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by netkid, Aug 24, 2009.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    The name says it all, what classic toy & Transformers toy gimmicks you'd want to return in Transformers.

80's and 90's toys were notorious for this stuff, which we mostly do not see today. I'm talking about color-change, glow-in-the-dark, holograms, slow mechanized moving parts, hidden weapons, "exploding" action, capture net missiles, magnetic parts, etc.

And with Classic Transformers Gimmicks what about the return of Targetmasters (Universe Cyclonus has brought it back), Headmasters (Armada Sideways, Armada Overload, Energon Omega Supreme), Powermasters (helps the figure to transform-Not Minicons), Pretenders, Clones, Doublespies (Universe 2.0 Punch.Counterpunch), Micromasters (done in the original Transformers Universe toy line), bases, etc?

Now sure, some of this stuff is or has been revived recently and some stuff has been recently integrated into a figure or two within the last few years, but I'm talking about it happening with more than just 1 or 2 figures in 1 yearly toy line. I'm not including triple-changers because they have been popping up more and more (energon shockblast, cybertron megatron, classics astrotrain, universe octane, animated blitzwing and shockwave), but I will include changers of more than 3 modes.

Personally, I'd want to see the return of:

-color change (from Gen.2)
    -Headmasters
    -Powermasters
    -Pretenders
    -Autobot/Decepticon clones
    -Doublespies (like Universe Punch/Counterpunch)
    -Bases
    -Rub Signs (on more figures)
    - 4,5,6+ -changers.(more modes than triple)

And the introduction of:

-hidden weapons (think MASK)
    -glow in the dark
    -slow mechanized moving parts (the thing changes slowly on it's own with the push of 1 button)
    -"exploding" action

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmaster & Powermaster. hell, I'd even like to see a Brainmaster.

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Hidden have been done with Armada, Energon and Cybertron, with Cyber Keys and Minicons. Also, I think exploding parts would take away engineering from the transformation.

I love the clones, and wouldn't mind seeing the idea revisited.

4. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I vote pretender, it'd be cool to see an update on the Roadblock character, a non GPS Roadblock with a super articulated shell/armor sounds like win to me :) 

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Personally, I could do without the flashing lights and sound effects.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Cyber Key Power !!!!!!!!!!!

7. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    sparking gimmick

8. TrukkinMunky

TrukkinMunky Autobot

Ebay:
    I'd like to see Bases, Headmasters, more Targetmasters, and Doublespies. Also I'd like to see non-repaint combiners, especially if the bots had there own individual robot and vehicle modes.

9. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Seconded on the electronics. I would really like to see them get rid of integrated weapons. I like g1 where people had a gun that didn't attach in alt mode. I think it allowed the guns to be more creative instead of trying to wedge them into a design. Kinda like Classics Jetfire. It really didn't Sintegrate you just attached them to the fists. Heck, G1 Darkwing and Dreadwing did that.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you know, the glow in the dark thing did show up in transformers before. I only noticed it recently. McDonalds Armada Optimus Prime. his hands glow in the dark. it was pitch black in my room, and I saw two glowing ball shapes. I was quite surprised to find the source of the glow. it was faint, but noticable.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Pretenders. Pretenders are win.

:thumb 

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    headmasters,targetmasters, baseformers, Pretenders and i agree with removing the electronics spend the money on paint apps and better engineering

13. netkid

News Credits:
    I mean in a toy store, not Fast Food toys. Anything is game in Fast Food toys.

I don't think they can do that today. Something about a kid that managed to burn himself.

14. netkid

News Credits:
    The thing is with Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, & Pretenders, they could probably integrate those gimmicks into Mini-Cons. That way they could still keep the Mini-Cons around without having a bunch of different small robots.

It's just that the Headmaster Mini-Cons might have to be a bit smaller than normal -OR- the figures they come with would at least have to be Voyager Class.

15. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Yeah, and I'm sure all these electronics and forced integrated weapons effect the overall aesthetic quality of some of these robot modes.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any of the "masters" stuff and bases would be awesome I think, but I doubt we will ever see the light of day with any of that stuff unfortunately. But yea, those would be awesome as hell to see again. And I also wouldn't mind seeing the lights and sounds take a side step for a while. They take up so much room on the figure that can be better used for more engineering.

17. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    my point exactly :) 

18. netkid

News Credits:
    But anything that sparks, has small missiles, pops caps, is pretty much a NO from any major toy company these days.

Though I think the sparks may be okay under certain circumstances.

I remember seeing a sparking toy recently, but the sparks were deeply contained within the toy itself, not like the old Gen.1 Monsterbots, Sparkabots, & Firecons where they actually let out sparks which could apparently become a fire hazard.

19. EnerPrime

EnerPrime Active Member

I disagree. I like it when the weapons can be stored and hidden in vehicle mode. Not just from an aesthetics POV, but from a practical one. Vehicle modes, being more compact and sturdy with a miniumum of things sticking out, are usually the better mode for storage, which I need to be able to do due to lack of display area. If the weapons don't integrate, I have to put them away seperatley. That leads to loss and having a hard time figuring out whose guns are whose.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Powermaster FTW!