Minor/Repaint: Classic Swindle

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lt. Faceless, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Edit:for some reason,it has taken down the older pics.

Update:At this close the paint does look bad,so overlook that.He is done,here are some updated pics of the head.It was NOT fun...I didn't update the vehicle pics,cause that hasn't changed.LMK what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my take on Swindle.Just like Vortex,don't mind the shitty paint,i play with my toys.I liked the look of a APC over a jeep.Also,don't mind that there is no head,i'm trying to find a good match for him.
    Botmode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alt. mode:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh. I've been sitting on one of those Cybertron Defense Hotshot molds forever now, with this repaint in mind. I always liked the idea of using this for Swindle. :thumb 

For a head... how about Cybertron Thundercracker/Skywarp, with some "goggles" glued on? That's sort of what I used for this old digibash...
    [​IMG]

zmog

3. Lt. Faceless

I love that head.I need to track one down.I wish i still had the knife that came with him.This mold fits Swindle perfect.

4. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    Looks good! Would have never thought to use this mold for Swindle. Combines one of my favorite molds from Cybertron with the coolest right leg of a combiner ever. Eheh. Can't wait to see a head on this! :) 

5. skibones

skibones Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    freaken nice

6. Lt. Faceless

Thanks guys.As hot as its been,i spent more time taking him apart then painting him.I can't wait to have Brawl and Blast off done.I'll be so happy to have the full team.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dude this is awesome. :thumb 

I never thought of the Defence Hot Shot/Roadbuster mold would work this well as Swindle.

8. Voltron III

Voltron III sum dum cum bum

kool

9. Lt. Faceless

Thanks dude.I never thought it too.1 day i just looked and him and was like.."Holy shit,thats Swindle".I expect Hasbro to do a Hound repaint for him and i'd be Ok with that.I just think for the Armers dealer of the group,a jeep doesn't seem very armory.

10. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That really does work great for swindle, great job! I agree w/Smog, that cybertron thundercracker head does look great on him.

11. hippymule

hippymule Duocon

I like the paint job, better than I could ever do!

12. Lt. Faceless

Thanks dude.I hope to have the head soon.

Its not that good.The spary paint makes it look better than it is.I don't have as many issues as i did with Vortex.

13. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I think it look pretty impressive. Yellow is so hard to paint and you did a fine job with it.

I will concur that SMOG's head suggestion would be perfect.

14. Lt. Faceless

I agree.I HATE painting with yellow.Thanks to SMOGs head suggestion and Gatchaman hooking me up with said head.I hope to have this 1 done in the next couple of days.

15. Lt. Faceless

Just a question update.I now have the head for this....so,is there a easy way to take it apart? or attach it.I wasn't thinking about how it would attach to the body.Not a big problem,but an unexpected one.Thanks for any tips.

16. SMOG

The bad news is no... it's a bit tricky.

It looks like you've removed the CD Hotshot head by pulling the pin in his neck plate and removing the whole piece, which is the easy way, since Hotshot's head is pinned to that plate, rather than using a screw. Unfortunately, I'd recommend keeping that neck plate for this project, so you're going to have to remove Hotshot's head from the plate.

I'd say soften the plastic up by putting the head in some just-boiled water for a minute. Then grab some good pliers, get a firm grip on the head, and yank that sucker off. I usually find that it requires a sort of constant back-and-forth twisting to work those pins out of the neck, but you can probably manage it without damaging the Hotshot head or the neck-plate too much. That should leave you with a decent hole in the neck-plate to thread a new head through.

You can't open the Cybertron Thundercracker head... there are no screws, and it's glued together (or possibly molded as one piece?). I think there are 2 ways of proceeding here...

- cut off the neck post entirely on the TC head. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the head, about the right width for a screw. Thread a screw up through the bottom of the Hotshot neckplate and tighten the head into place on the screw. Done.

- only cut the thicker nub off the bottom of the TC head, but keep the narrow part of the neck. Instead, widen the hole on the neck plate until TC's neck post just fits through. Then drive a screw up into the neck from under the neckplate to attach the head. Almost the same.

- You could also get fancy if you wanted to try adding a ball joint. The TC head is still a bit hollow, so there's room to cut a hole in the bottom to glue a ball-socket inside there, and then glue a ball-on-post into the neck plate... but make sure you have clearance first to close the shoulders around the head for vehicle mode.

Good luck! :) 

zmog

PS: Just as a total side note... anyone trying this with the Roadbuster repaint of the CD Hotshot mold, that Roadbuster head is VERY useful for a Springer head. It's molded in green plastic, so you can just strip all the brown and orange paint, add a little silver to the face, snip off the side antennas and sand down his forehead plate smooth. Makes a fantastic Springer. :thumb 

17. Lt. Faceless

Awsome thanks for that.I thought about trying to add a balljoint.Not sure if i could find one small enough.I might just boil the HS head off and fit the TC head to the hole.

18. SMOG

It's definitely the easiest way. I'd do it that way, but admittedly a balljoint neck would add some expressive range to a figure that doesn't have great articulation otherwise. I suspect a Gundam poly-cap balljoint might work, in terms of size. Or maybe if you had a junker minicon you could sacrifice. They usually have tiny balljoints.

zmog

19. Lt. Faceless

I didnt even think Gundam.Before i had any interest in customizing TFs.I had shoeboxes full of Zoid parts)trashed them all) and loved collecting Gundam models(i had all of Wing)and gave them to my brother.I guess hin-sight really is 20/20.

20. SMOG

Bummer... those old parts would be really useful for kitbashing! Just think of all those poly-cap balljoints, weapons, and hands/fists from thost Gundams! And Zoids have lots of odd machine parts... especially if you're customizing Dinobots, Predacons, Terrorcons, etc...

If any of that stuff is still around in a bin somewhere, you should raid it just for the spare parts potential! :) 

zmog