Classic SNES Memories

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Ah the classics, who can beat them? 2-D platforming, 2-D adventuring those were the days. I've been re-discovering some gems of late thanks to well my other post deals with that. And every time I start playing Ocean's Addams Family Values game again I am reminded heavily of The Legend of Zelda style of game play. Dungeon spelunking, Item collecting, Trade sequences and the gaining of new hearts (read skulls) after every boss fight. It's really a thrill.

And call me crazy but the original SNES Jurassic Park game is one of the best Movie based Games ever, even if it is tough as hell to figure out what to do without cheating and checking out on-line strategy guides. The SNES days had a lot of good games based on movies I think, so my question is to the gaming industry, WHAT HAPPENED? Where are the simple movie games that don't look like a three year old could beat it just by mashing the controller buttons?

Who else has fond memories of the classic SNES days? And who would care to share?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I got an SNES for one reason, and one reason only. Street Fighter 2. I would have 10 - 15 people at my house to have tournaments and when Turbo came out, that was perpetually in my system until I moved onto the PLaystation. I doubt I will ever get that gaming rush ever again.

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

My parents got my sister and I the SNES that first Christmas. We found it hidden under the bed and couldn't wait. SMW and Castlevania IV. xD

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ahhh, Castlevania IV. Man those were the days. Still a fun game to pop in.

5. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved playing my SNES. Every once in a while I crank it back up to play Kirby, DKC, Street Fighter, or Power Rangers.

6. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I got mine when it first came out. I think I was the only one at college who had one(which made me very popular). I loved playing Super Mario World, and Pilotwings. Sim City also became a favorite, along with the Final Fantasy 2&3 (5&6).

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I didn't get an SNES until sometime after the Playstation was out.

I was an NES kid, but when later grade school rolled around, my friends and I were Genesis kids.

I still love the Genesis over the SNES to this day. But that's not a knock on the SNES, it was still a fantastic system with some awesome games.

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    SNES.

Super Mario World. Pilotwings. Sim City. F-Zero. Some 3D-ish game where monsters came out and flew around at night (scared the crap out of me). Final Fantasy II (IV). Populous.

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Mario Kart was definitely a key piece that defined by childhood, CDN and I still duke it out on that game, good times.

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Didn't get a SNES until early '93.

Super Mario World, Mario All-Stars, DKC, Super Metroid, the first 3 Mega Man X games, Super R-Type and Gradius 3 were a few of my faves.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

12. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I still have mine alongside my Megadrive, PS1, and Wii. Totally awesome console! I remember the joy of playing SMW, Super Star Wars, Mario Allstars, Pilotwings, etc. etc. And I remember the disappointment with Mortal Kombat. The graphics were soooo much better than on the Amiga 500 I had at the time, but no blood?!?! Gah!! Streetfighter II kicked ass the moment I abandoned the Amiga version and put the cartridge into my SNES. Those were the days :) 

13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I got my SNES from my mom while she was down here in Florida working on setting us up for a big move down here. She mailed it to me as a present and I played it religiously. I've still got it along with a library of rare and classic games, ever since I was a kid I had an eye for top class games.

When Street Fighter 2 came out I had it right away. There was actually a group of high schoolers who had the game down the street, they left their door open and I saw them playing and actually got to go in and play a few games with them. (Yeah, that would never happen these days)

I remember seeing Final Fantasy 3 (or 6 rather) for the first time, my friend's brother was playing it and I remembered how cool the spells looked... and this weird OCD habit of saving like 5 times in a row to make sure it took. We played a bunch of games there, they had a football game that I really wish I could remember, all I remember was a recorded voice saying "Quarterback Sack!" every time you... you know. It was the first time I heard a video game speak.

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    SNES. Oh yeah. I remember that system. It was the one thing that brought me into video games. Super Mario World, Mega Man X, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, NBA Jam, Street Fighter II, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario RPG, even a Power Rangers game. It was just WONDERFUL. I felt so happy playing those games.

And when the N64 came out...well, my parents felt like selling the SNES for the N64. At first, I thought the N64 would be better. It was...but then after a few years...I missed the SNES. I missed it SO MUCH.

15. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Same here. I was a Genesis kid through and through, although there were several SNES games that I really got into.

16. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I still had my SNES so I could play Super Mario RPG, if only Nintendo could/would re-release it.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Technically, they did. If you have a Wii anyway. It was a release this week on the Virtual Console.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Used to play a game called 'Out of this world'. It kind of sucked but the animation was so real at the time

Super Mario World,Starfox, Super Metroid , Soulblazer& SF2 were my favs.
    Didnt care for pilotwings much.

Would love a copy of Earthbound

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Ah Earthbound, I have a copy of it, but sadly my SNES stopped working long ago so I junked it. (The system not the game.) Quirky fun for the whole family, a shame those idiots at Nintendo didn't release the GBA port of Mother 1&2 along with the new Mother 3 game I would have paid any price for those games due to their quirky natures.

20. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The game rocks so hard on the Wii. Its a lot easier to time hits with a GC controller.