Minor/Repaint: Classic Megatron Repaint (followed Redline's lead)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by PrimeBlade, Nov 13, 2006.

1. PrimeBlade

PrimeBlade Active Member

I knew I had to repaint Classic Megatron after looking at Redline's Classic Megatron Reborn thread. So basically, I decided to repaint him pretty much the same way with a few minor detail changes (can you spot them? :) 

I have to say, it is a ton of work and a testament at Redline's vision. I am definitely no innovator. My wife helped me paint some of the finer details because her hand is alot steadier than mine! In any case, I followed pretty much the same directions as Redline's thread except I did not remove any of the pins except the feet (because I am lazy). Some of the paint is not sticking very well though, so I will need to touch them up.

Here are the pics, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    NIICE!

I need to get around to doing my repaint soon.

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, looks FANTASTIC!

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    very nicely done man. :)  I see the differences ;) 

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice job!

6. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like how the black legs aren't super shiny, which is the one thing that bugged me about Redline's. I do think the head would look better without the unibrow, though.

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great repaint. You've made the unibrow look alot better by painting the side of the face black. :thumb 

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Not to speak for Redline, and I could be wrong, but I assume his is shiny because of some sort of glossy topcoat to help the paint stay. Again, could be wrong.

Anyway, looks wonderful. :) 

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    awesome!

i like the black on the cheek parts coupled with the unibrown

really gives him a dark menacing look

im just waiting for someone to give him a sexy black helmet now ala stormbringer megs ^___^

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    quite right. Its really just barely shinier than the black parts were out of the box.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Awsome stuff! I still like REDLINE's Meg's head better.

12. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I love it everytime one of these repaints is posted with pics. Absolutely love them!

I was wondering how it would look with those little black lines painted on the chest. Same with the side "holsters" (if you will) being painted a color to highlight his legs.

I like that you kept the unibrow. To me, the unibrow was always one of Megatron's most distinguishing features and trademarks. Right next to his big fusion cannon and color scheme. IMO though I'm not too fond of the "Cheetah" stripes or tear drops you painted on the side of his face.

I love the detail. It gives me a better idea of how I want to go with mine. I've been debating details while I wait on my fine primer.

Originaly, I had nearly the exact same idea's as Redline before I ever saw his. I was going to go with the red outlining and all, and the other stuff, but seeing everyone else doing theirs like that, I think I'm going to change it up a bit and try something different. Maybe I can get a more G1 feeling out of it. We'll see. I'll share when I finish.

Great job on that. Very well crafted. And thanks for sharing! :D 

13. Rodimus

Hey, can we see some pictures of the gun mode?

14. PrimeBlade

PrimeBlade Active Member

I haven't transformed him in gun mode yet, I will try to do it this week and post pics.

About the face, I debated on whether I should paint the cheek black. At the end, I decided to do it because I wanted to see how it looks (and I figure I can always take it off if I really didn't like it), plus, the reissue G1 figure has black cheeks too. So what the hell. I am glad some liked it. It is just a matter of preference!

Next project is to repaint Star Scream. That looks like a PITA! :) 

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I have a couple of questions about the clear red on the wings. Did you dye it or paint it? If you did use clear paint, where did you get it? and what different colors can you get it in? I'm begining work on a kitbash using a Classics Megs, and I plan on somehow turning the clear green of the wings pink. Thanks to anyone that can answer my questions. Peace out.

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    You won't have any luck trying to dye the clear parts. they are too hard of a plastic, and it won't take. Clear red paint by Testors is what most people use. Any hobby shop will have the stuff. You can get clear red, blue, green, black that I know of.. anything else you'll have to make your own by mixing your chosen color with thinner.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

No, mix it with clear coat. Mixed with thinner it's still opaque, it's just, well, thinner.

It looks really good. Just painting the wings red helps the toy out emensely. The silver and red looks just as good as when Redline did it.

I'm still not a fan of the handlebar unibrow. I painted mine with Model Master steel (which looks a little too much like silver, when brush painted. :(  ) Then, I painted the underside of it with black, for that too much mascara look G1 Megs always had going.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok. Thanks guys. Where do you find Testors clear coat in the bottle? I've only ever seen it in the spray bottle. Also, does anyone know if testors has a pink color in the little bottles? Thanks in advance. Peace out.

19. Rodimus

Well I've never seen the Testors brand of the clear red even from going at the largest Hobbytown in Maryland, but I have seen the Tamiya clear red. The Tamiya Clear red looks just as good as the Testors. It looks exactly like what Redline has in his wings. And brush painting it on looks great too. Because it's a thin paint it really doesn't leave any brush lines; it's easy to paint with.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, but I don't need clear red. I've been trying to figure out how to turn the clear green into a clear pink color. Peace out.