Minor/Repaint: Classic Grimlock Leg mod update as of 10/08/08

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by shadowXknight28, Oct 2, 2008.

1. shadowXknight28

shadowXknight28 Ancient Autobot

10/02/08
    just wanted to see if anyone had other ideas before i start on this. its only a small mod, but its still kinda my first.

i want to set grimlocks legs, so his feet are the top of the upper body that makes up the HUGE thighs,lol.

i figured i would center the waist and have a plan for how to swing the parts around to transform and not loose the alt form, or have to change it, other than the t-rex head [hopfuly] being on some form of ball joint.

the head will still split apart but it will swing down sit on the side of the foot at the knee joint, like the tail tip did in the G1 verison.

now for what im not too sure about, i cant find any parts[that i have right now] that will work for the leg mod other than maybe universe prowls leg, minus the car end of the foot.

i will try to get some pics up by saturday, to help show the idea. im praying that i can start on this by next week, after i get paid and buy some parts,aka
    the extra prowl or a junker on ebay.

after this, i may look to changin the arms on old Grimy.

10/04/08
    just couldnt wait till payday,lol.
    took prowls legs off, and test shot. works pretty well, got alot of work to go, but really happy at how it turned out.

10/06/08
    ran into a snag with the dino head in alt mode. had about an inch of a gap, and after i saw that, i almost took a hammer and fixed his little red wagon. but after a few beers and alot of adultswim, i figured out how to save em. im going to try and put the knee's on a second ball joint. have some pics up to show what i mean.

later
    CSI

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have pondered this same question... but every time I look at those legs, I only see headaches. I don't think it'll be easy... but more power to you if you can show us the way! :) 

As for the arms, I've already modded mine. My camera's out of commission, so I'll have to describe it...

Basically, you just cut away the square area of plastic on his shoulder armour that forms a collar around his shoulder post. This allows the shoulder armour to fold DOWN, flaring out horizontally, rather than being stuck in the upright position. It's a really easy mod that I find improves the look of the figure immensely, but I'm not sure if I've seen anyone else do it.

Incidentally, I like the repainting and detailing you've done on him so far...

zmog

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    That's actually something I posted up a while back, SMOG. Here's the original link: Classics Grimlock

I'm thinking he's just using the picture to ask some questions about doing this mod.

To the OP, I wish I could give some advice on that--I do think it can be done, but I haven't had much time lately to even think it over (it did cross my mind when doing this custom though). I hope to see you pull it off, my friend. I'd really like to see what you come up with. Good luck!

4. shadowXknight28

lol, yes and thanks.
    i was at work when i posted it, and need a good pic showing the inside leg.
    workin the body over tonight to break it down, have some pics up this weekend on some ruff stuff.

CSI

5. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ive been working on something like this. I was planning on posting something when I'd progressed a bit.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

OH. Well... uh... nice touch-ups hXcpunk23. :) 

zmog

7. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

I would LOVE to see this. I love his alt mode, and bot mode is alright, but those legs have always bothered me. having the t-rex head halves come off the sides like the tail from G1 is a brilliant idea! I hope you're able to figure this out, because I'm sure many people would like to do this mod.

8. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

personally i'm not a big fan of this mold as grimlock, i do however love the mold, so i'm painting mine as a skullcruncher.
    but i did an articulated G1 grimlock that turned out quite well, why dont you try finding a junker and mix and match some parts,
    like the upper half of G1 grimlock arm and lower half of the classis.
    or take away classic grimlock tail and put the g1 dino head and hand at that end of the mold and make his legs turn into the tail like the original

9. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I hate this mold as grimlock too, got Overkill pre-ordered though, mold looks nice for him.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sweet. I would love to see how that turns out - have you actually worked out how you're going to do it yet, or are you still at the conceptual stages?
    I like the mould as is, pretty much (doing a few tweaks on mine, but nothing like this), but I'd be very interested to see how something like this could be pulled off.

11. Bogatan

News Credits:
  12. shadowXknight28

bump

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    please don't bump threads

14. shadowXknight28

sorry

15. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Wild, bumping customs threads, what's the meaning of this?

16. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Wow thats gonna be some job to complete. Its gonna look awesome though.

The dino head halves make all the difference to the over all look.

17. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

bogatan, I checked out your idea, I really like how you're using the existing leg.

But shadow, I still really love your idea of having the dino head halves droop down the side like the g1 tail.

Can't wait to see both of your ideas finished.

Hey Smog, did you ever get around to posting pics of this mod? I looked around but couldn't find anything. I keep forgetting to look at my grimmy everytime I get home from work. :D 

Great jobs everybody!