Heavy/Scratch: Classic Grimlock leg mod - Getting heavier

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bogatan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    shadowXknight28 started a thread about his planned Grimlock and that reminded me that I've had this lying around for he past year or so. I started back on it a few weeks ago when I planned to mod the other leg and ended up going first in a slight change of design then a more radical alteration. I'm not sure its something I have the interest in ever completing, its almost certain to remain at least partially a part former but I think its got potential.

The first pic show what I was originally planning. The second how I restructure the leg. THe idea was to turn it into a reversible panel like classic BB's forearm. As is is just attached by a styrene coated piece of wire so it can just be pulled off and spun around.

When I came back to it recently I suddenly realised the back of the leg looked a lot more like what I was aiming for than the front so I swapped the legs around (I'd got the other leg started by this point) and the forth photo shows the result.

To make it work properly is going to take a lot of work. First the waist would have to rotate 180 degrees. Second the front of he knee has to be built up without hindering transformation. Third its needs a knee joint creating at the back. Its not visible in the photo but I've also removed the belly bit from the Trex mode and cut it in half and attached to the legs to create a more complete shell. It worked fine before I reversed the legs now its causing a bit of tilt, so that also needs fixing. Like I say not sure if his ill hold my attention long enough to complete it but it s something I'll come back to when I need a break from other projects and it might give someone some ideas.

Attached Files:

2. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    i'll need a tutorial!!

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

wow, that looks so much better. Much more like the grimlock we know and love

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's a really clever way of pulling it off.

So essentially he transforms almost the same, with the dino head forming the feet, but the outsides of the legs swivel round to form the 'boots'?

Nicely done. :thumb 

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

There's GOLD in them thar hills!!

Great idea... it seems to be shaping up well, though I'm still confused on the details of how you did it. Can't wait to see the final stage.

Plus, I daresay, my suggested mod for the shoulder armour would look smashing on top of this Grimlock mod of yours. :) 

zmog

6. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Thanks. I've really disliked this toy since I bought it, but it is finally starting to look like his G1 self. Alhough he looks more like Actionmaster Grimlock cause hes so lacking in kibble.

Yes you've got the transformation riht, at least that was the original idea. In the last photo I've put the left leg on the right hip and right on to left to get them to face backwards.

To get this look without having to pull the legs of every time he transforms he needs a rotating waist and then to reverse the knees so hes not impersonating G1 Soundwave.

7. Bogatan

News Credits:
    I cant figure out what shoulder mod you've done but I'd like to see some pictures as it doesn't sound to hard and if i will help the overall look it would be worth it.

8. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed, Looking really badass.

9. Boanerge

Boanerge Professional Lurker

I think the mod for the shoulders would go something like this...

[​IMG]

10. Bogatan

News Credits:

Holy cow! I kinda thought that might be the end result but couldn't make sense of how to do it. Now its obvious.:dunce 

I also just worked out a way to permanently attach the dino side back on to the robot legs that is insanely straight forward compared to how I thought it would have to be done. Goes to show sometimes putting a project to one side for a few months is for the best.

11. Boanerge

Yeah I saw Smog's description of the mod and I was thinking HUH??? That simple??? I grabbed my Grim and pulled his shoulder apart and saw exactly how to do it. Done in about 10 min, would've been less but I was playing a game with my wife at the same time. :D 

Benn wanting to do an over haul of Grimmy for a while but never had a good enough plan to start chopping.

12. SMOG

Haha! My camera's out of commission so I just spent 6 minutes doing a quick digibash to show what I meant, without reading one post down to see that someone else already posted a pic! I'm a doofus. :) 

So I'm not the only person to have done this after all...

EDIT: Ah, from the timestamp, it appears you were posting that while I was digibashing. And I see it was my post that inspired you to do it! Woohoo! I'm a trendsetter! :) 

I also recommend swapping his shoulders around so the screw-holes face backwards, rather than towards the front. They're much less ostentatious in his dinomode than in his robot mode.

zmog

13. Boanerge

You trendsetter you! :)  I like the shoulder modification I hadn't taken the dhoulder apart before so I would've never thought this was possible. I am trying to figure out a way of inverting the transformation so the legs make the tail, more "classic" if you will.

Also considering a head and tail transplants.

14. SMOG

Yeah, I was thinking of the same things. I didn't get real far on reversing the tail/leg transformation, but if you make any progress, I'm all ears!

I'm thinking a G1/G2 Grimlock Trex head might make for a nice swap on this figure... the size is probably about right.

And I'm really tired of the old "dino-tail becomes large phallic tentacle weapon" trick repeated ad nauseum after Beast Wars.

SHOW! SHOW!

zmog

15. Bogatan

News Credits:
    I'll have to find a suitable joint. The one I have in mind is a hacked up legends Barricade arm and torso, but its reserved for my main wip.

I'd rather not spend £6 on two new ones, might be able to get both joints out of one figure. Must think about that.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    yes you must create a nifty tutorial, just take good pictures as you move through your project to use after you're done.

17. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I'd also like to see a tutorial on how this was done. He looks so much better this way. I did a custom Classics Grimlock a while back. Never got around to posting pics though.

18. fullmoonfan13

fullmoonfan13 Member

Damn that makes grimlock look better.

19. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Lol...I love what youre trying to do...it looks great so far. This mold is trash however. I think even at its zenith youre going to have to look at it and say..."Jesus, wtf to do about his lack of forearms?" lol. Thats not your bad mind you. Its just a crap toy really. What colors will be on it when its done?

20. The_Tracker

The_Tracker ...and his huntsmen!

Ebay:
    I saw this thread, got all excited, only to realize the op hasnt posted in it since 2008...