Classic Consoles on HDTV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by BigRC83, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
  2. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    I don't think'll it make much difference since all Previous-gen systems are putting "Standard-def" signal to the TV. Buy the cheaper of the two.

For High-def "classic" games I suggest Xbox Live or PSN.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're probably going to look like a blurry mess. I've got a 20 inch samsung LCD TV, and even the Wii connected via component cables is a pain to look at.

I keep a 20 inch SD TV on hand for non-HD consoles.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    My ps2 does not go in full screen so it still looks good on my tv but I don't know if it the system or my tv. I use vizio. I think my n64 does the same thing too on the tv. I also use standard cables that came with the system.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'd be interested to see how the old, old Atari games would look on the big 55incher.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've attempted to hook up 8-bit and 16-bit systems to HDTV's via various methods. Unfortunately, they just aren't made for each other. Always blurry or jumpy.

7. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    One time I tried to hook up an N64 to my HDTV. It worked...but it was in black and white.

:( 

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    A bloody mess I'd imagine. (As a certain Angry nerd said, the only true way to play atari is on an old shitty TV)

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I've never had any trouble hooking up a classic console that at least had RCA connections to an HDTV, but they always looked like crap once they were hooked up.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a ton of old school systems, and a 70" plasma. They look liek total garbage. So, what I did, was hook up my PC via VGA and use emulators. That way I can use a current gen controller and have the games rendered at a real-time 1080p.

Eff all of that.

11. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I have a 60 inch TV at home, although it's from like '97 so it's not HD. We added an HD TV to our house recently, albeit smaller, and it seems grainier in general, not just when playing games. So I'd say try to get an older TV if you want to play older games.

12. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I play my Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, and PS1 games on my 32 inch Samsung LCD HDTV and it looks alright. A good tube TV would look better, but it doesn't look that bad on my TV.

I keep an extra Samsung 20 inch CRT TV in my closet and everything looks great on that. Running an emulator on a PC through an HDTV is a good idea too.

13. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Question - ive wanted to do this but even though I have a VGA input on my tv nothing shows up. I've got a 50" Panasonic v10 plasma - did you need a special cable or something? I just tried using a VGA cable direct from my videocard on the pc.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think you have to do anything special, just vga to vga cable. Your pc should see the tv as just another monitor.

Dumb question, but did you have your tv set to the vga input channel? There should be a separate channel for it just like the hdmi, component, or av input channels. Make sure the pin connections are secure and you should be good to go.

15. DethPike

Ebay:
    Yeah I did, but in all honesty I didn't spend too much time fiddling with it - everything else seems good though and I now wonder if maybe the cable I got just sucks. I'll give it another go.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You don't need anything special at all. It **should** just pick up immediately once it's all plugged in.

One thing I will tell you though is to look on your VGA cable and make sure all of the pins are there. Different monitors need different amounts of pins to show on the screen. I learned this when I tried hooking my Dreamcast up throgh the VGA adapter, and nothing would show, but after I noticed some of the pins were missing, I replaced it with a compleete cable and it worked. And, the same cable without the pins had been used and working on ym computer monitor for years.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  17. DethPike

Ebay:
    THAT could be it - I haven't looked at it lately but I know it wasnt the most expensive cable in the world or anything - wouldn't surprise me to find it missing pins - I'll check it out, go for a better quality one maybe anyway, and go from there. thanks!

18. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I've been thinking of getting an N64 (again, regretted selling the last one I had), and I was wondering: would an S-video cable work on an HDTV?

19. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It will hook up (so long as the TV has an s-video input). However, it will likely look blurry and really bad.

20. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You can get a component cable for gamecube and it should be much better then s-video quality. I say gamecube cause it should be easier to obtain and the video outs for gc, n64 and snes are the identical port (I use gc component cables with my snes).