Civil War: Speculations and Possible Spoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by The Spider, Jan 10, 2007.

1. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I wanted to put this in the Civil War #7 thread, but I thought that since I'm gonna get into some spoilers and speculative spoilers, I thought it needed a seperate thread so that people could avoid this if needed. Mods can merge this with any existing Civil War thread if it's needed, though.

Anyway, like I said, we're getting into spoilers (for all the Civil War issues out, and also things like possible spoilery covers in the solicitations ) and speculative spoilers (some which may not have been confirmed). So you've been warned.

Now, way back in WIZARD last year (#175 to be exact) they put in a bunch of teaser questions (like they did for Infinite Crisis/52/OYL), and most of them have been answered so far.

Choices in bold are the ones that have been mostly confirmed.

1. Which pair of heroes will join the Fantastic Four after CIVIL WAR?

*Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
    *Human Galactus and Silver Surfer
    *Storm and Black Panther
    *She-Hulk and Hawkeye

The Turner cover depicted Storm and Black Panther as part of the FF with Johnny and Ben. I know that there's recent news over a cover depicting Johnny and Ben with Galactus and Silver Surfer, but I don't really think that's neccesarily the FF, unless members just pop in and out.

2. Which character willingly reveals their secret identity to the world during CIVIL WAR?

*Spider-Man
    *Spider-Woman
    *Daredevil
    *Iron Man

(I think this was a bit of a cheat since really, two characters unmasked themselves--keep in mind that Tony pretended not to be Iron Man post-Avengers Disassembled and then eventually revealed it again during Civil War.)

3. Which hero will choose retirement over registration as a result of the events happening in CIVIL WAR?
    *Iron Fist
    *Firestar
    *Falcon
    *Wonder Man

(Unless Falcon's also going to retire, I'm pretty sure the one answer is Firestar.)

4. Which hero is arrested during CIVIL WAR?

*Captain America
    *Punisher
    *Iron Man
    *Nick Fury

This hasn't been answered yet, but my guess: it really can't be Fury or Punisher since there's really no impact to it--Millar is quoted in the article saying this: "This is the defining moment of the whole series. The main arrest is probably the best scene in the book and should hopefully have everyone talking. There's a few scenes in this book people will take to their graves--this is one of them."

My guess? Captain America. Or at least, Steve Rogers. There's a rumor going around that Winter Soldier will take over as the new Cap (I'll get into that in the next post), and Rogers getting arrested might be what leads into that. If Iron Man is arrested, then it'd probably mean that he kills Captain America or damages him or whatever.

Adding to this, the cover of CIVIL WAR: THE CONFESSION depicts Cap's shield covered in blood. It could mean that either A) Captain America is killed, or B) he has blood on his hands.

OTOH that cover could just be a red herring....

5. Which two heroes will make their triumphant return in the pages of Civil War?

*Thor
    *Captain Marvel
    *Ant-Man
    *Hawkeye

Ant-Man can be crossed off since there's a new Ant-Man and he wasn't really introduced in the Civil War titles. Hawkeye showed up in a recent issue of NEW AVENGERS and I really doubt there's much chance to involve him in an important role at this time. Thor KINDA returned, and it does indicate that CIVIL WAR is what leads into the upcoming Thor relaunch. Then there's the matter of CIVIL WAR: THE RETURN, which has a symbol on the cover matching the symbol of Captain Marvel (the Mar-Vell one).

6. CIVIL WAR brings out the dark side of one hero. Which one will resort to brutal torture?

*Black Panther
    *Dr. Strange
    *Iron Man
    *Namor

Did this question get answered yet? I didn't get around to following the Wolverine tie-ins so I don't know if Namor had Nitro tortured or something. I'm really sure Black Panther and Dr. Strange didn't do any torturing, though.

7. Which hero gets beaten into a coma during CIVIL WAR?

*Kitty Pryde
    *Human Torch
    *Spider-Woman
    *Shang-Chi

Yeah, it was the Torch, as seen in #1.

8. Which surprise character will join the Avengers at the end of CIVIL WAR?

*Speedball
    *Ares
    *Iron Fist
    *Hyperion (Squadron Supreme--image shown is of the JMS & Gary Frank version)

Considering the preview of MIGHTY AVENGERS, it's Ares. Speedball's on the Thunderbolts as Penance, and I think Hyperion's busy in his own series and in ULTIMATE POWER. I dunno if Iron Fist would join the other Avengers team, though.

9. Which team will be reformed as a result of CIVIL WAR?

*Champions
    *Alpha Flight
    *X-Force
    *West Coast Avengers

In #6 we see that SHIELD and the pro-reg heroes were working on a new team of Champions, made of characters who had codenames were Greek Gods' names. There's a new team Omega Flight, which might be seen as a kinda/sorta revival of Alpha Flight, but I'm not sure. Millar indicates in the article re: the four choices, "Maybe all of the above."

10. Which character will switch sides during CIVIL WAR?

*Mr. Fantastic
    *Spider-Man
    *Wolverine
    *Invisible Woman

At this rate, it's just Spider-Man and the Invisible Woman, unless Wolverine shows up at the last moment and/or Reed switches sides.

11. Which team will be featured on "America's Most Wanted" during CIVIL WAR?

*Runaways
    *Young Avengers
    *X-Men
    *Millar and McNiven

I think it was Runaways and Young Avengers, wasn't it? I missed out on the mini-series.

Anyway, there's also the chance that story elements may have changed as they went along (ie the Infinite Crisis/52/OYL thing indicated that Guy Gardner would survive and Nightwing, Kon-El, and Wally West would die--and Nightwing was left off the chopping block as the story progressed). Feel free to throw in added speculation, spoilers you might've heard elsewhere, and all that.

2. The Spider

Okay, for the Winter Soldier rumor mentioned above....

On Mike Sterling's Progressive Ruin blog, Sterling notes that someone named "The Painted Doll" posted this in a response to his blog:

The kicker? It was posted on April 24, 2006--A week BEFORE CIVIL WAR #1 was out. Surprisingly, with the exception of the Human Torch part, it was right.

The Painted Doll apparently also posted this at Comic Book Resources in September:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=3742641&postcount=27

This time though, they're posed as questions rather than confirmations. With the way things are going though, I'm starting to think the question, "Is it true that the Winter Soldier will be wearing Cap's costume when this is all said and done?" will be answered, "Yes, it's likely."

3. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Didnt Marvel learn its lesson last time it "fired" Cap and replaced him? Even if he does stop being Cap, he'll be back in the red white and blue tights in 6 months, so its like....what the point?

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i thought Black Panther and Storm are filling in for Sue and Reed...not Johnny.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I will be suprised if Marvel brings back Marvell...he's one of the few comic book heros that Marvel hasn't brought back after all this years.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yes, but there's a reason for that. It's called "nobody cares about Mar-Vell." Really, it's true. The only notable thing he did during his entire tenure as a superhero, and the only thing anyone even remembers him for, was dying.

7. The Spider

I know--I mentioned that in the first post that he (or she) only got that part wrong.... Getting the Spider-Man unmasking right before the series debut is one thing, specifying "Thor Clone/Cyborg" is way more than coincidence.

It's probable that The Painted Doll was going by what was available at the time--notice how contradictory the continuity is between the main series and the tie-ins were? I'd guess it was assumed that Johnny would be leaving the FF because he was joining Sue in the main CIVIL WAR book.

8. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Considering all the delays and new tie ins and such I personally think every thing is up in the air and we won't know how it ends till it ends. I think whatever plan they had was altered when they did the delay. But that's just me

9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

If someone can write an interesting storyline of Cap getting replaced its Brubaker. Brubaker has been writing some great Cap Am stories in that book (along with great Daredevil and Uncanny X-Men).

And yes, Iron Man arresting Cap Am would be an incredible scene to see in a comic book. I get the feeling that is what's going to be happening too.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

6. It's probably Namor. I read the Wolvie stuff. If I remember correctly, Namor and Wolvie fight over Nitro. Wolvie gets knocked out after missing Namor's vital organs. The Atlanteans capture Nitro. Wolvie follows borrowing Iron Man's armor. They fight again. Nitro escapes killing some supporting character's husband and escapes. Namor tells Wolvie Nitro was just a pawn in a larger scheme and gives him a lead to Damage Control who are really behind the Stamford Massacre. An epilogue to one issue says the Atlanteans recaptured Nitro I think and considering how angry Namor was over Namorita's death I wouldn't be surprised if toture happened.

7. It ain't X-Force. They don't even have their own book anymore. And Cable was definately on Cap's side.

11. Considering Wolvie views the Superhero Registration Act with the same hate he did the Mutant Registration Act, it's highly unlikely. And since I haven't been reading about Spidey and Sue which side did they switch over from?

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh man, that's sad but to a certain extent true...Marvell's star simply faded over the course of time...somehow cosmic heros seems to suffer that fate. Example, Quesar (spelling) and Nova.

The Silver Surfer has also been fading in and out...mainly because writers don't know how to use him, plus he's too overpowered and pretty 1-dimensional - this coming from a big surfer fan! :D 

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Marvel's big problem is that they under utilize their cosmic heroes. They focus on the Spidey's and the Wolverine's, and ignore the heavy hitters of the cosmos. Annihilation has been a big boost for some of these characters, but most are still completely stuck in the backround. Surfer hasn't done much. Though Nova's finally getting a chance to shine.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Isn't Hulkling supposed to become the new Captain Marvel? I recall something like that being mentioned awhile back.

Also, Cap will definitely be the one to get arrested. Zemo said as much when he gave him that key. He mentioned it was not only inevitable, but that he probably intended on getting arrested in the end from the get go. I'm rather curious exactly what he plans on doing with it.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    So true...a really pity about the under usage of the cosmic heros though...and I agree the Surfer hasn't done much at all in the series at all. But I got to admit that the Annihilation series also rocks...in fact, I'm er, enjoying it more than CW...the confrontation between Ronan and the Kree traitors was good...loved his interraction with the Super Skrull too.

15. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Is GhostRider being left out of CW because of the up coming movie?

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I never really expected him to get involved. He's the spirit of vengeance. A demon from hell. I don't think he really concerns himself with mortal laws.

17. The Spider

They were on Stark's side (or at least, Sue stood by Reed at first) in the mini-series.

18. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Yes and Blade only hunted vampires,but he got dragged into the CW.

So why can't one of Ghostrider's enemies sign-up for gov protection too?

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    The devil isn't really into living in the upper world like vampires

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ghost Rider was on the poster but never actually made it in.

As for who is being reformed, it's Alpha Flight. Stark put US Agent on the team to be his man inside.

And I want Genis Vel to return. I couldn't care less for Mar Vell because as stated, the only memorable thing he did was die. Genis Vel however was a true looney.

And speaking of the Vels, does anythign think Rick Jones has to register? He's not a superhero but it's inevitable he will become one again. he always gets involved somehow. You'd think the governemnt would make him sign up for the eventuality. "Hey Rick, we know you don't have powers but your odds of getting some are pretty good."