Civil War Frontline #2, and the other tie ins this week...*SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

What'd ya think? I wasn't too impressed with issue 1 of Frontline, but issue 2 was much better. The Urich story really intrigues me. Especially with what he's been through in Daredevil, and now this with Peter. Being the Speedball fan I am, I'm digging the Robbie story. I also really dug the Caesar story in the back. Really well done.

New Avengers 21 - Nice Cap story. Good to see Pym's still a dick. I wish this had come out before the She-Hulk issue where Cap and Falcon already had Fury's place.

Amazing Spidey 533 - Interesting story showing us more of what we already knew. Tony Stark is a dick who's always out for #1. (But that's what I love about the character) Poor Jonah :lol 

FF 538 - Johnny's still in his Coma, and everyone (minus Reed...he's a dick too!) are taking turns watching over Johnny. Even if it's just for an hour. Poor Ben. I really feel for the guy. Another good issue.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Frontline 2 was fucking awesome!

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I agree, I got all of those (except FF), and they all met (and exceeded) my expectations.

However, now I'm beginning to see why Marvel's been saying that Frontline is integral to the Civil War arc; it allows all the development and exposition that won't fit within just 7 issues.

4. Dirge's Ghost

Dirge's Ghost A User That Is Registered

I loved the ending to FF, I hope he plays a role in Civil War and doesn`t just take off to return months later.

5. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

I got AMS #533 and and New Avengers #21, both good issues :D  prefered New Avengers because there was some action. And that Pym is a dick how could he just not say no im with Iron Man and leave them alone.

6. DevilzFan

X-Factor 8 - I got lost a little. I'm not the biggest Peter David fan, but he's a damn good writer. Seemed like he wasn't sure what he was writing this issue either. And they really need a new artist. Not much of a Civil War tie in, but decent.

Wolverine - Loved the story, hated the art. Ramos sucks
    It's now apparant that if Wolverine ever fought Phoenix, Wolverine would win. Sweet Jesus...there was no flesh left. WTF????

7. DevilzFan

Oh, and seriously....Civil War is keeping my attention. Unlike House of M.

Infinite Crisis was good, but CW is killing it to me. Plus, other than GA and GL, all the OYL titles have been a boring mess of disappointment.

Looks like I'm back on the Marvel horse again. DC was winning for about a year...

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I only picked up Amazing Spidey and X-Factor today. I'll nab New Avengers and Wolvy tomorrow.

Amazing Spiderman- I thought it was a pretty good issue. You can really see the tension rising between Tony and Peter, and looks like a storm is brewing just in store for Pete's identity revelation.

X-Factor: I liked the issue, but I wasn't really sure how much of it tied in to Civil War per se. I mean, besides Madrox having a Shield agent copy....the whole Layla and the X-Men/Spidey hiding "lies" seemed to remind me more of House of M material.

Still iffy on Frontline, issue 1 was meh-ish for me. I may try 2 from the so far positive comments mentioned already...

9. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I agree. Frontline #2 was much better than the first. I loved the apperance of Prodigy, even if it does seem to be another attempt to sweep the Slingers under the rug. I also enjoyed seeing Spidey answer questions at the press conference, though I am curious as to why SHEILD seems to be making a deal with Osborn.

New Avengers: Eh. It was okay. Didn't really care for the art though.

ASM: Loved this issue. JJJ sueing Peter fits just perfectly with the character.

"We'll bring the car around sir."

"Thanks. And have him run me over a few times to make the day complete."

I'm seriously tempted to start picking up the F4 tie-ins, but I'm not sure I can afford it.

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Frontline-thought it was pretty good. nice to see Peter's announcement affect the Bugle. Felt bad for Speedball and everything he's being put through. The ending was pretty crazy I thought. I wonder how that will affect things.
    New Avengers-Cap kicking ass. Pym was a dick. Art was so-so, but I thought it was still cool.
    Fantastic Four-like others said, Reed's being a dick too. Sucks for Ben right now though. Thought it was really touching seeing him watch over Johnny(even start singing YMCA:lol )
    Amazing Spider-Man- this is what I like to see. Where this is really starting to have a serious effect on Peter's life. It was crazy with the splash page and seeing everyone's reaction to Peter coming out(hereos and villains alike). Looks like this is moment when Peter starts to wonder about his postion.

Yep, definately enjoying Civil War right now.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Well, Pym has been "out" for sometime, and sees nothing wrong with it; naturally, he'll fall on Tony's side.

Also, the government is scary. So are Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic, if they get nasty. And, if any found out that Pym had been in contact with "known fugitives"...well, I'm pretty sure he'd be treated like just as much a criminal, and would be just as screwed.

After reading these most recent CW issues, though, I'm beginning to think that the pro-reg side is becoming sort of fascist; I mean, Stark threatening to out 130-something capes if they don't come forward? Having a "strike team" actively hunt down "unregistered combatants," even if they haven't done anything wrong yet?

I may end up on Cap's side by the end of this thing, after all.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Civil War is doing nothing for me, so the only one of these I read was X-Factor (mind you, even if I was into CW I wouldn't read Frontline). Honestly, outside of one conversation, I'm not sure why this one was a CW tie-in. Still a good issue, though.

And, for the record, I'm in complete contrast to Devz. CW does jack for me and I'm loving most of DC's OYL stuff (most, not all. Hawkgirl is crap, Nightwing is worse, and if I were a Batgirl fan I'd be grabbing a torch and pitchfork over Robin).

13. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Read Frontline #2 and it rocked! Drunken Prodigy for teh win! :D 

14. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

My unemployment really constrains me on this, so I'm only reading Amazing Spidey and the main Civil War book. I can say that I'm gladly not going wrong on these. Amazing #533 was good stuff, you really have to feel sorry for Peter now.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Amen. I can kinda respect that the guy developed a style and blahblah...but I still dropped Spectacular SM b/c of him. Blegh.

I also picked up ASM, FF, New Avengers and Frontline and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. This is so much better than HoM, it's almost embarrassing.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm really enjoying CW. I picked up CW #2, CW:FL 1 and 2 today. I thought they were great. Wonder what's going on with Osborn. I also picked up Superman/Batman 27 and after reading it, I think I'm done with DC. Maybe in a few years, they'll figure out that they really fucked up their classic characters, and it go back to normal. Maybe another Zero Hour.

17. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I'll say this first: Civil War as a whole is doing a good job of making me care about characters I've never read about (unlike Infinite Crisis and its "oh look, someone else I've never seen just died"). Like Speedball. Never read a comic with him, and yet I really feel sorry for him in Frontline. Speaking of which...

Frontline #2 was good. The scene with Norman Osborn was kinda chilling, yet I can't help but feel that SHIELD (or at least Maria Hill) is totally retarded for recruiting super villains.

ASM #533 was a surprisingly humorous book considering it takes place directly after CW #2. I loved when Peter just webbed the two phones together when he was out of the conversation entirely. And Jameson is a tool.

Can't say anything bad about X-Factor #8, as I've loved the whole series so far. I'm surprised that Madrox managed to get a dupe into SHIELD. I found it odd that the characters who were on the government-supported X-Factor aren't siding with registration. I'm glad that PAD didn't drop the Singularity plot, despite the Civil War tie-in. Siryn seducing Spidey was great, as was the last paragraph of the recap.

FF #538: Reed's a dick. I'm not surprised that the team has an undecided member (Ben), but hey, it's better than everyone being pro or anti right from the start. And yay, Thor!

On a related note, I asked this question in the Frontline #1 thread.

I guess not. :D 

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I was never one for the BIG events; I never tried to go all out and get the Tie-Ins, but with Civil War Marvel has managed to pique my interest.
    I didn't snag X-Factor #8 or the Thunderbolts issue supposedly involved with CW and I haven't gotten Frontline yet because I haven't bothered asking... Besides if it's anything like HoM I'm betting Frontline will be offered in its' own TPB sometime in the future... Getting all the individual stuff is costly after all.

Whenever I read a Civil War book I get excited, enraged at some of the sheer stupidity some of these characters are portraying, and also inspired... My creative side sees so many possible ways for Civil War to go down.
    I just loved that page where we saw Eddie Brock (I thought he was dead from the Cancer already?), Doc Ock and Vulture observing the events of the press conference with Spider-Man. I just hope they don't pull a cop out and have Pete switch sides because May or MJ or both get killed, injured I won't mind, but killing off a character is just plain uninspired and something I really don't want to see.
    JJJ quit smoking? He's sueing Peter? I have a feeling that's going to come back to bite somebody in the arse, though I'm not sure who; and was Robbie actually agreeing with JJ's plans and stuff or what? I always figured Robertson would support Peter no matter what since he liked that guy, and some of his old friends/work buddies/associates must be capable of understanding why he'd keep it a secret for so long.

The FF title really spoke to me too; I don't even read their book, but the reactions of the entire family is just bang up great especially Ben... I have a feeling some lesser known heroes are going to get offed by Puppet Master and whoever else he's workin' with.

Tony Stark is a DICK, maybe even bigger then Optimus Prime; threatening to oust fellow heroes simply because they refuse to go public? Cold, really cold.
    I still have a feeling something bigger is going on here; the whole scene in Wolverine with Nitro talking on the phone to someone who'd "set him up with a nice cabin." really seems to me like someone in the government manipulated certain events.
    And what about those Hydra people working with Spider-Woman? They may have nothing to do with it, but hey; they're still out there.

Maria Hill is certainly a different leader compared to Fury... Oh and before I forget; Tony actually said there's going to be dying??? So; he's actually prepared to kill people who've saved the world countless times? Man, he really is a DICK.

I hope when this is all over they don't stagnate with Spidey stories where two-bit hoods try and off him or his wife on a regular basis.
    I hope they'll actually manage to follow up Civil War with something akin to passable reading. I hope I'll have a job soon so I can keep affording this wonderful event dealie... And I am definately on Cap's side in this; in New Avenger's he asked Sam a question... Who are they supposed to be doing it for? And all that; it's really a pretty good question when you think about it.

For now, Make Mine Marvel.

19. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

The only tie-ins i've bought so far have been frontline 1 ASM 533 and Wolvie 43 anyone recommend any others?

I thought frontline was alright but as everyone seems to be saying 2 is much better so i'll probably pick that up

ASM 533 was good. i liked JJ's talk at the beginning and the Cap fan at the end. I didn't think about lawsuits being a consequence of de-masking.

Wolvie 43 was also good, but as everyone's been saying, the art was meh to me. I was really surprised at the end. Woah! honestly no flesh left? how?

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    X-Factor #8. It's not the most crucial tie-in, but it is really good.