Civil War Frontline #1: *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gears, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well this issue supplied my needed Civil War *fix* for the time being. It was pretty eventful. Spidey's interview with the reporter was pretty good, and the end was pretty funny. Iron Man holds a press conference regarding the registration act and in doing so he removes his helmet and comes clean with the American public revealing his idendity as Tony Stark: An alcoholic trying to come clean. Two people find a body in a field in upstate NY and its Speedball! He survived by absorbing a great deal of the blast. He then inadvertantly releases all the energy, killing the two men that found him. He is later shown to be powerless in a hospital / research center. A Shield agent shows up and tells Speedball about what happened and then places him under arrest. The end of the issue is a short story comparing the registration act to the relocation of Japanese U.S. citizens to wartime relocation camps during the 1940's. Pretty interesting viewpoint but I doubt everyone will agree with the comparison of these two events though...

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! I haven't picked up this issue yet...and yeah, I agree with your opinion on the comparison of the re-allocation of Japanese folks in WWII in the US with the registration act.

I'm puzzled by Speedball's arrest. Its not like he intentionally killed the 2 men who found him.

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I think it was over the whole "blowing up the city" thing. haha. Seeing as how this really goes into Civil War more than I thought it would, I can't to pick this up tomorrow.

4. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Nice issue. I loved the bit about Tony saying he's an alcaholic. I also don't agree with the comparison in the last section. While I don't support registration, I think that Japanese Internerment was much worse.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not reading this one after the huge disappointment that was Generation M. But tell me, is Sally Floyd still drunk off her ass and crying about her dead kid?

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She has been sober for awhile, but during her interview with Spidey (at her apartment) she has an alcoholic beverage. Then she starts to hit on him until he tells her he is married. It was an ackward moment. Also Spidey briefly mentions the death of her child and how it touched him to read her article about it. Can someone tell me how the child died?

7. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I'm assuming it had something to do with reading the first issue of Generation M then swallowing bleach. : D

8. Switchblade

News Credits:
    That's believable, yeah.

9. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I always views the super hero act more like the Mcarthy trials like iron man comming out and admiting he's well iron man. It's a bit of a stretch but the heroes arent being placed in camps for contanment (yet). It's more like are you now or ever been a super hero

10. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I was on the fence about this book, but I'm glad I decided to go with it. I read Generation M, which didn't meet all of my expectations, but I did like the "through the eyes of a civilian" angle, which happened to draw me to Frontline.

I'm beginning to think that Iron Man has lost his mind. The public has already begun to villify the heroes, and what does he do? Reveals his identity AND admits that he's an alcoholic. I can't imagine the public having much confidence in a man who could be under the influence while inside a suit capable of mass destruction. Maybe the government will make Tony go to AA with Sally. :D 

I totally knew that Speedball would survive, but it still felt great to actually see it happen. And yet I still wonder why I'm so happy when I've never read a single issue of New Warriors (though I think I managed to acquire a few issues). It's probably his unique powers (there's way too many characters with super-strength, flight, and/or elemental/energy powers). But in my opinion, the fact that SHIELD is placing him under arrest is just plain stupid.

The New Warriors engaged some escaped supervillains, and Nitro was provoked into using his powers. Boom. Let's look at this in a real-world scenario. What if some cops were chasing an escaped convict, who was provoked into opening fire and killed some innocent bystanders? Should the cops be arrested and held responsible?

As for the short poem at the end, I can see where they're coming from with the comparison. Super heroes are being singled out and not trusted because of a tragedy, but isn't that practically the status quo for a number of Marvel heroes? Of course, I can see people taking this the wrong way. I have to admit, it's a bit extreme to compare the treatment of WW2-era Japanese-Americans to super heroes.

And I have a feeling it'll take me a while to get used to 616 Ben Urich, as I'm more familiar with his (dramatically different) Ultimate counterpart.

Basically, she was a mutant whose "power" was that she aged backwards, and her body continually regressed (at four years old her body was six months old) until she simply died.

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Isn't that the whole point of the act though. Superheros aren't cops. The are vigilantes. You can't use cops. Its more like if some man took the law into his own hands and while fighting a criminal he killed an innocent life.

12. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Okay, I admit my analogy was flawed. But I still stand by the fact that Speedball shouldn't be held responsible for the deaths caused by Nitro. These were escaped criminals, and by engaging them, the New Warriors' actions were completely "justified" (just as "justified" as Spider-Man chasing a bank robber). Why haven't Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc been arrested and held responsible for collateral damage caused by the criminals/super villains they've fought in the past? (Yes, I realize that it's because of how the stories were written. It's more of a rhetorical question.)

Truthfully, it's kinda hard to remember that super heroes are still vigilantes and effectively criminals, what with government sanctioned teams (like the Avengers used to be) and heroes that the public unanimously love (Fantastic Four). I blame Marvel. :wink: 

And now that I think about it, there's one piece of the Stamford Massacre puzzle missing. We know that 600 some-odd innocent people are dead, we know that Speedball is the only survivor of the New Warriors, and we know Nitro survived and escaped. But did Coldheart, Speedfreak, and Cobalt Man survive? Did Nitro inadvertently kill them when he 'sploded? Does anybody care?

13. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Christ, Tony revealed he's Iron Man......again!
    /facepalm.
    We just fixed that not to long ago. ::shakes head.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I think the public outrage against the heros is because the New Warriors were seen as abusing of their powers for publicity and fame; which in the process got some innocents killed.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

SPEEDBALL :rock 

The reason he's under arrest, and the reason the public hates the Warriors (besides that whole being involved in an accident that killed lots of kids thing) is that these are teenagers. Young heroes, who the public doesn't see as being heroes. Just kids "playing at being heroes".

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    And because Quesada has a raging boner of hatred for him.

17. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I think the reason he is under arrest is BECAUSE he is so hated. The government knows they need a scapegoat to placate the masses. The Registration Act is for thier goals, but will do little to make the people stop frothing at the mouth. Since Nitro escaped, they had to nail the first super powered survivor they found.

18. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    He's not really a scapegoat; it was his actions that caused all this. The showboating, the one-liners while in a fire-fight, etc. I don't agree with the way the Warriors were handled at all, but in that story, it was their irresponsibility that allowed Nitro to get off the fatal discharge.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    What I can't believe is that Speedball is the only one left out of the New Warriors' team...they used to be popular...

20. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Firestar, Justice, and Nova are all still around. Just not with the other New Warriors.

And I stand corrected about Quesada hating Speedball. According to New Joe Fridays over at Newsarama, all that talk about killing Speedball was just to get him back in comic readers' minds before Civil War hit. I find that hilariously devious on Quesada's part. :lol