Civil War #1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shipwreck, May 3, 2006.

1. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

Not being a fan of the new warriors I might go back and read some of those books. To see why people are so mad that these charaters I really don't remenber or care about are dead.

2. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Picked it up today. Really enjoyed it a lot. Yeah I get the deal with the New Warriors, never really thought of them as "rookies". The scene with Cap was insane though, cool seeing him kick some ass and I loved that last page with Iron Man.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Speedball survives...he's probably one of those guys who, because he's mostly made of kinetic energy, will find a way to pull himself back together. Does anyone else remember how powerful he was shown to be near the end of the oringal New Warriors series? I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as a slightly more serious version.

As for the issue itself, I loved it. To those who don't believe that one incident can change a nation's views...9/11. There had been other terrorist attacks (World Trade Center car bombing, USS Cole), but those didn't really change the mood of the whole country like one morning in early September. I think CW is trying for that kind of vibe. And the Cap scene was bad ass, and made me think that there really is potnetial for a Captain America movie. The trailer would run something like this...
    [shot of shield in the dark]
    "What if one person was the embodiment of all a nation holds dear?"
    [close up of torso of uniform- star and stripes]
    "What if one man personified a country's value?"
    [shot of back of Cap holding shield]
    "What if that individual...no longer belived in his government?"
    [Shot of Cap from the side with head bowed, then looking towards camera with a grim expression]
    [Jump cuts of various action sequences from film, including Cap landing on jet plane and taking out a number of anonymous government agents, plus a quote from Cap saying 'I fight for the land of the free and the home of the brave.]
    [Shot of President]
    "then he took the pilot out for cheeseburgers?"
    "On July 4, 2008...An American hero will fight against America...for America."
    [Haunting flute music of the last line of the Star Spangled Banner] Titles in white slowly fade in: 'Of the people...by the people...for the people...Captain America July 4, 2008.
    www.capmovie.com.

End of teaser trailer.

Yeah, so that was a tangent. Great comics can inspire like that.

-Tony!

4. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I was able to pick up Issue #1 (plus the Turner variant for FREE!!) today along the rest of the comics that I haven't bought in 3 weeks. I have to say, I love the way this story line is heading. I liked the part where Invisible Woman states that she and her family have always been out in the open about their idenities to the public w/o any problems and how Spider-Man then states in a sense how its different considering her family has powers while the ones he loves are vulnerable. It demonstrates I believe the 2 main point of views in the storyline. I guess we can basically see where everything is heading and its going to be a good read IMO.

[​IMG]

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. Bill Fosters been around for years. Last seen in the Background in the recent Spiderman:The Other story. But does anyone know when he got his powers back ?

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I REALLY wanted that Turner cover...

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Thought it was a great start, and I'll definitely stay tuned for the ride.:) 

As for the Turner cover, is that one rare or shipped 50:50 with the McNiven cover?

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

The New Warriors are dead......well, great, now I'm definitely passing on this overhyped money-sucker.....*sigh* More money for toys!!!!

9. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Firstly, i'm not a Millar fan, but i really dug this. (although i hat3 that he wrote Cap as 'almost-ultimate-Cap') and McNiven knocked the ball so far out of the park it wasn't even funny.
    I'm confused, did ya'll read the same book? Didn't the New Warriors actually hand 3 of the 4 villians (whom i'm not familiar with, but have seen folks on other boards say they were all fairly powerful bad guys) their ASSES before Namorita pretty much got overconfident with Nitro?

only Night Thrasher, Microbe and Namorita died. I'm 99% sure Speedball lived, he probably just got tossed to Jersey. But Nova, Firestar, Justice, Turbo and Darkhawk are all still alive and kickin'

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Speedball is dead, or did you miss the part where the TV reporter was talking about him and he said "Not to speak ill of the dead..."

11. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Went to 2 different stores for the Turner cover and neither had them. Asked the clerk and he said it was a dealer incentive that they probably wouldn't get. Does anyone know where to find the Turner cover for a normal price? I'm guessing not every store went for the incentive. Is that version going to become one of these rare things that they'll charge double for from now on, even though it's the most seen promo art for the series?

12. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

First issue was pretty good, I am in the "who cares if speedball is dead" camp though, never read new warriors in the past, cant say I will read it in the future. Hopefully the Hulk can make it back and bust some heads before this series is over with though, he is always at his best when up against the Avengers, Fantastic Four, or whatever team of superheroes.

13. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Hulk's not supposed to be back on Earth until next year. Planet Hulk will keep him busy.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    You know when I read New Warriors? When this guy joined.

[​IMG]

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    So you started when the series basically hit it's lowest point? Damn, bad luck. The "Time Bomb" arc forever sullied the New Warriors in my opinion.

16. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I think I dropped NW around the time when Spider-Clone joined. Marvel (clueless even back then) tried to shuffle the series off into the Spider-man family of comics. The run is still a Masterpiece compared to that last mini-series they belched up tho.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I was never into the New Warriors, Scarlet Spider was the only reason I got it.

I also got the first issue of that mini they made last year but Skottie Young was there signing it and I got it for free.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Amen.

Warriors was outstanding for the first 30 issues or so when Nicenza was writing.

19. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Okay, now that the first issue has come, and most have read it.

Who's side are you on?

Personally, Stark's being his old dicky self. I'm with Cap and the others against the act. ;) 

20. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Stark sure seems to have turned on cap awfully quick, seems a bit contrived no?