Civil War #1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shipwreck, May 3, 2006.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

What do you all think?

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

is it out? for real!
    *prepares himself!*

3. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I think I'm too poor to buy yet another massive cross-over epic...I'm still recovering from House of M/Decimation. :cry  Let me know how it turns out! It's cheaper that way.....

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I'll be picking mine up tomorrow, I'll post my thoughts then. Until then, spoilers are welcome. ha

5. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

I thought it was great, If that was not a solid reason for Super -heros to be registered or to have people think they should be then I don't know what else would.

I didn't know there was a new Goliath? But I didn't follow the Avengers much before New Avenger. Well I read West Coast Avengers but that was so long ago. Anyway this book is another reason I love Captain America character. This issue was classic Cap and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. But Tony and Reed are starting to scare me.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cap taking down Shield and jumping out of the helicarrier and onto the jet was awesome. Great art, compelling story, can't wait for more!

7. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I enjoyed this issue a lot. Though it did seem rather rushed with the way the Cap is put against everyone. One moment he is talking to Sheild and when he decides that he won't join them their like Ok well attack him leaving him with the serious notion of 'wtf mate?'

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

This ain't no 'House of M'.

Fantastic issue. Really great setup issue.

But....I still want Joe Quesada's head on a fucking pike. Warriors deserve much better than that shit, especially Robbie Baldwin.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

It's because they wanted Cap as the figure head on their side or put away out of site, So when he said that he wasn't going to be on Shields side he had to go.

10. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

well I read it....first thing I mus say

WOAH

Cap shown as aa badass"he took the pilot for burgers and fries"

and for this saga I believe Ironman and reed will fall from grace....again.

11. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I think Millar did ok with what he had to work with. But the idea that decades of super heroes saving the earth being totally ignored over this one incident is stupid, even taking into account Millar's generally poor opinion of the American public. At least when DC outlawed their heroes two decades ago in Legends, that public outcry against heroes they idolized was explained away as a plot from Darkseid. Who's behind this? Doctor Doom? An evil Watcher? Or is this just a plot device we're supposed to mentally gloss over to get to six more issues of super heroes beating each other up. Because watching your favorite super heroes beating each other up seems to be the only real draw here. Much like DC vs Marvel a decade ago.

I love Steve's art, but as a fan of his work at CrossGen, it still seems like a shame to waste his talent on super hero comics, when there's so much more demand for fantasy stories out in the mass market. A properly managed fantasy comic would slaughter this thing in book store sales. It just seems a shame that Marvel refuses to publish anything but super hero comics these days, when they used to have more variety than anyone. But at least this is a high profile super hero book. Steve deserves that much.

12. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

The issue was mainly set up so in that manner it wasnt all that surprising. The art was great and the scene where cap escapes was well done.

I'm still on the fence I'll wait and see what issue 2 holds before I get too excited

13. DevilzFan

Think of it as the Mutant Registration Act multiplied by 1000. That "threat" has been around for 30+ years.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, I wanted to go but won't make it to the shop until saturday

15. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Okay, big question, well PM the answer. How did the Warriors die and who survived?)

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was on the fence about this whole thing, but after hearing some good things I picked it up and gave it a read. Maybe it's the fact that I read Infinite Crisis #7 first, maybe it's the fact that I've started favoring DC overall lately, but I'm not that impressed. It's a decent enough story, and the Cap scene was freaking awesome, but it didn't really grip me enough to make me want to read more. I'll follow the story through summaries, but I don't think I'll be reading it.

If that's who I think it is, he's not new. He's been around for decades.

They fought a guy who explodes and we don't know.

17. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Based on Amazing Spider-Man 531, I think it's safe to say Speedball survivied.

18. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I dunno though. In one of the news images in CIVIL WAR the commentator ragged on Speedball even though he indicated nobody wants to "speak ill of the dead".

Anyway, as for CIVIL WAR, I'm still on the fence too, considering how there's standard Millar-confrontational dialogue, New Warriors acting like untrained idiots, etc. On the other hand, I though the Captain America sequence looked awesome.

(And how odd is it that Captain America goes "Damn you to hell for this" and goes "Watch that potty mouth, soldier" when the soldier goes, "Jeezus!")

19. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I thought it was a great way to kick it off. The recent issues like Avengers Disassembled, House of M/Decimation, and such have put the heroes in bad spotlight recently anyway. Really with all the crap that's happened to people over the years when the supers go at it, its no suprise that this would happen. Its a great idea to explore and so far I'm looking forward to more.

20. DevilzFan

If Speedball is dead (which he probably is) I swear to all that's holy I will have my revenge!!! *shakes fist*

Seriously though. Treating the Warriors like some C-List team with absoloutely no idea how to handle a situation was the most unbeliveable part of the issue.

Millar should pull his head out of his ass and actually go read the first 30 issues of the New Warriors V1. This is a team that beat Terrax twice!