Civil War #1 Cover + Mention in NY Times

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Feb 20, 2006.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Edited unfortunately, but a nice glimpse nonetheless.
    [​IMG]

So the New Warriors start the Civil War. (man I hope none of them are the casualties..except maybe Microbe and Debris). Cap and Iron Man on different sides will be nice to see. As a lifelong non-Avengers reader, other than New Avengers, I've only seen them as buddies. I'm sure they've been at each other before, but I haven't seen it myself.

Attached Files:

2. DevilzFan

After reading it again...it seems to be just a rehash of the Mutant Registration Act, but on a much larger scale, and with the entire MU.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I really enjoyed this story back when it was called Kingdom Come.

4. DevilzFan

Except that this isn't an "Elseworlds" or "Alternate Future" type deal. It's something that's happening now, and will affect most titles out there.

At least until they retcon it in a couple of years.

5. Random Autobot

Yeah, but the basic story is practically identical. The government cracks down on Superbeings. Then Marvel's Superman equivalent goes head to head with Marvel's Batman (or at least Bruce Wayne) equivalent because of a difference in philosophies.

The whole "superheroes being controlled by the government" thing is becoming a rather tired plot device. it was done well in Watchmen and DKR... but now it's just tired.

6. DevilzFan

And they did it before everyone else in X-Men back in the late 1970's with the Mutant Registration Act.

7. Random Autobot

Erm, I'm not trying to turn this into a "Marvel/DC" thing, as I don't really care for either universe. The MRA in Xmen was more a commentary on Segregation and racism, something more real and tangible than "Heroes are dangerous, lets reign them in!!". Liken it to the internment of Japanese North Americans during WW2, or hell, the registration that preceded the Nazi death camps. It was a great idea, and continues to be, as iot means something. This whole idea of opposing heroes because of political views is rather played out, and doesn't contain the real world urgency that the MRA has.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Turner cover eats that one for lunch.

IMO, of course.

[​IMG]

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Hopefully it'll be better than the poorly paced House of M, and all the ties won't suck.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Well its a diffrent writer then the last 2 epic summer things so it may. Personally this sounds like the marvel version of the new crisis, but that said i'll probably do like the first 2 house of m's and pick up the first 2 issues and see if I enjoy it or not. Has potentail just seems like there trying to keep pace with dc is all

bear in mind this is all just my opnion and most likely wrong or baised

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm actually eagerly awaiting this. And it also has me guessing allies. For starters, Iron man and Cap are on opposing sides. How will this affect the Avengers? And then, who is on what side? I wish they'd at least say whether Iron man is for or against. There's arguments for both characters to be on both sides.

Iron Man has put the genie back in the bottle a few times. Why would he be for a registration act?
    Cap is the biggest supporter of civil liberties. He respects those who do not wish to reveal themselves. So why would be be for the act?

So right off the bat, someone doesn't fit. However I think Iron man is for the act just because he is apparently trying to get Spiderman on his side. And I'm pretty muh 99.9% sure Spidey is against the act.

Oh, and side note, nice to see marvel killing off some B-listers that everyone loves instead of trying to expose them a little more. First Alpha Flight and now the New Warriors? Good Job guys :stick: 

12. DevilzFan

I read Joe Q is planning on killing off Speedball.

Now, as the biggest Speedball fan on the planet, I will fucking hunt down and disembowel Joe Q. if that happens.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    The guy at my comic shop claims he invented Speedball. You outta come visit sometime and I'll let him tell you. Funny as hell and sadly, it's probably true.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still not sure I'll bother with Civil War. After IC I think I'll be kinda crossover'ed out.

And I'm horribly disappointed that they're letting Jenkins continue to chronicle the adventures of Alky McDeadkid from Generation M. I was hoping she'd go away and we could forget all about her. :( 

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I'm kinda interested in seeing how this one turns out. Just seems unthinkable on having Iron Man and Captain America on opposing sides. Definately interested in checking this one out.

16. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I think I would like to see a series with doctor doom as the main villian, I dont think I have ever read a massive crossover with him as the main antagonist. Civil war looks boring, after the tedious house of m I just cant get excited about this.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

My take on it as well

18. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Didn't read Secret Wars did we...

19. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

you know Steve Ditko? cool.

The story sounds boring mostly because it's been done to death by others so often now. But I love Steve McNiven's art. Mind you the alternative is Mike turner's gawd-awful art, so it's not a tough choice. :puke:  It's about time Marvel did something with Steve tho. Millar is hit or miss. Mostly miss for me outside of the Ultimates these days. I can't see myself buying this after this past year of nothing but mega-crossovers build ups to mega-crossovers tho. I just don't care anymore.

20. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

My bet is on Cap being against the act, while Iron Man is for. But in the end, Cap will see the merit of keeping tabs on possible problems, while Iron Man will see the problems with taking away the right of superbeings. There will be a big fight with 5 panels of punches, 10 pages of talking, one page of Wolverine flipping out and cutting a hero/normal person, two pages of agnst as the heros relize that other was right, one page of kissing and making up, and page that Quesada will claim, "Rock the Marvel Universe to the core FOREVER!!!" with it being Spider-Man voted in as President, with Wolverine as Vice President or some crap.
    Mark my words.....