Cityformers get Bored?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Inikalord, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    As we know, Cityformers were those large guys we had that were like mobile fortress's who also could transform in dire need if it was that bad of a situation. TF's like Metroplex and Trypticon etc.

But one thing comes to mind when theyre stuck in City/Base mode for what seems to be most of theyre time. Boredom.

Surely, being stuck in that one mode and not being able to do anything else would result in this.

Thoughts?

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've often thought that too.

3. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

It might make a good internal dialogue on the sacrifices of duty.

Dying is quick, having to sit still indefinitely is torture.

4. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

I don't think they'd get bored because being a city/base is their function. It's not a job they were assigned to, it's the reason they were created.

I've always assumed that while in city mode their personality's would be sort of "submerged", not quite off-line, but not really conscious, while their brains serve more as the city's central computer.

This is also why most of the city bots have smaller counterpart robots like Scamper, Slammer, and Sixgun. These three, though mostly Scamper, are extensions of Metroplex's personality. So he is sort of active and interacting with his fellow Autobots while in city mode.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I never saw them as inactive myself. They aren't just sitting there. While they're not walking around as robots, they're still fully functioning cities, and they still do a lot. They're job as a city is probably more hectic than when they're fighting as robots. They probably have plenty of people to talk to as well, which would combat any small amount of boredom they may encounter.

I also subscribe to the theory that that is why (in some continuities) they're portrayed as relatively simple in the intellect departement.

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    partly this is why I kinda liked the idea of the Japanese fortmax and Scorpinok normal robots who could then combine with their respective base's. As for Metroplex he did sort of have a transport mode but I'm guessing with so many systems you really don't think about walking around much

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I like these explanations the best. The citybots are content with their functions. Simple bots with simple existences.

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If I had little people moving all over my body, I would be more than amused.

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    we have dreams, and our dreams take us on fantastical adventures. maybe Cityfomers have a similar programing?

10. X-Arachnis

X-Arachnis Well-Known Member

or they are huge perverts that watch their occupants every move... including the private and embarressing ones...:ev: 

11. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. My ideas exactly.

12. Kinoko_Otoko

Kinoko_Otoko Unenlightened

This was SUCH a COOL BOOK. This exact idea was the premise of a book by Anne McCaffrey and S.M. Stirling. There are a whole slew of books by Anne McCaffrey and a couple of others centered around the premise of disabled people who are turned into hyperadvanced hardware interface systems, and placed in control of spaceships, effectively becoming the ships (which is actually one of the closest things to Transformers I know of other than Transformers).

The particular book I'm thinking of is The City Who Fought. It's not just a ship in this book but an entire space station the size of a small town which is run by a person in a capsule, and it's exactly this sort of situation: he handles the minutiae of semi-automated station systems while also being a semi-omni-present pesonality aboard the station. Everyone knows him and he can talk to people anywhere on board using the comm systems. He even has a CGI body/face people see when they talk to him. If you'd like to see what living in this sort of Metroplex would be like, read this book, it's one of the most unique I've ever read!

...Not strictly Transformers, I know, but definitely relevant to the thread.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think there's a huge degree of variety.

Metroplex as briefly mentioned is essentially the same core personality in several bodies (much like how Optimus is suposed to be 3 components). While Metroplex proper may spend nearly all of his time dealing with all the minor functions of a city, like running the elevators or accessing a database per some residents request, he can also go around and about with Scamper to get new experiences/do something different. However, we do know that Metroplex is pained by his duty and that he's not doing more.

Japanese Fortress Maximus isn't really in the same boat at all, as he is a tiny (by TF standards) robot who commands the ship. Battleship Maximus is really just a ship almost like any other and borders on being a super huge pretender shell to Fortress in terms of robot mode; both Battleship Maximus and "Cerebros" are both inanimate on their own. In one episode Fortress uses his head mode to directly control the Battleship in spaceship mode. The same is true of Scorponok and its relationship to Zarak.

Brave Maximus is slightly different in that all three were technically alive and different beings; Plasma, Brave, and Maximus. Maximus seemed to be purposefully designed to be barely sentient (and perhaps not sentient at all), while Brave and Plasma were more intelligent. Things got muddled when he voluntarilly changed himself to be little more then a pre-programmed guardian who responded to commands from others so that he could bear being inactive for millenia.

Where things get more interesting is with Trypticon. Trypticon clearly has dreams, desires, and ambitions; he sees himself as eventually leading the Decepticons and being full of hatred. Not that we ever really got to see this portrayal of Typticon but that's how his original profile made him out to be. Someone like that would have a hard time being just a city for extended periods of time.

The better question for some of them probably is if given long periods of inactivity, do they schedule a period to transform? After all, it's been shown several times that not transforming for extended periods of time can end up becoming lethal; Emirate Xaaron had gone so long that if he transformed, he would die. The thought is a bit amusing, with all these bots having to put everything away so that Metroplex or a Maximus can transform.

14. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers are robots built for this, not people who get bored sitting on their backside. Like many have said when they are in base mode, they are a base and its massive computer system. sure some systems may get shut down and re-directed to other tasks. But it would be very bad design to have your city formers get bored.

15. MegaPaultron

MegaPaultron Well-Known Member

Get to blast the shit out of anything that comes near...

But in the darkest between time.... thats bordem city...

Sucks to be a Citybot really does...

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    I just figured they run game programs while dormant. Like, metroplex would rack up killer scores for angry bird n doodle jump in idle.

17. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess they did, I acutally did wonder this in 3rd grade, but then I just assumed that Metroplex was a good guy, so he didn't care and accepted his lot in life, and Trypticon I always thought was stupid, so Galvatron punished him by making him stay a city. I dunno, that's a 25 year old self-explanation, but when I thought about it now after reading this, I kinda came to the same conclusion. I dunno, I guess it's like somebody who works security and looks at monitors all day. It's just your job, you do it and don't bitch.

18. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

If a small TF like Ultra Magnus can make a remote simulacrum, then I would figure a Citybot could as well.

I would assume that the various mundane civic functions of a city would occupy most of a Citybot's mentality.

I do subscribe to the concept of a degree of myoticism, a Citybot probably can replicate a few of his persona in a few drones/ bots. Like a Power Core Combiner or a Doucon does with it's vehicle mode/drones.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Exactly! If I was a city-bot, I would just sit and play PS3 all day. What's so bad about that? :D 

20. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I'm a firm supporter of the idea that their primary personality can inhabit any of their other components, almost like an 'out of body experience' of sorts, while in city mode. That always seemed to make the most sense to me.....sort of like 'computer networking' in a way.