City of Villains Free Trial update

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Jux, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

So, our good friend Twin Twist hooked me up with the free two week trial with City of Villains.

As my two week trial concludes (it's over Saturday, I think), I find myself actually liking a MMORPG, something I thought would never happen.

And I'm really, seriously considering buying either CoV or CoH. Frankly, I'm shocked.

So, this thread is twofold. First, for the people who haven't been into MMORPG's, give one of these games a try, because I've never liked them in the past yet find myself wanting to play more.

And second, for those who have played both - which is the better one to commit money towards? CoH, or CoV?

2. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

i felt the same way after the free trial of CoH... but as time went on I realized I was just doing the same thing over and over with new characters because I got bored around levels 7-12... maybe it gets fun again later but i just got so bored i kept making a new character each time until I finally just decided to cancel

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

CoV, as of right now, is a much more refined product. The Writing is better, the AT's are better suited to playing solo as well as teaming, and generally is less grindy and more fun.

It's also very casual player friendly, progress can be made if you play an hour, or 5, every night. There's always lots of help on hand via the GUI or other players, and if you get bored you can roll another character with completely different powers, making the game fresh again.

For $15 a month, it actually SAVES me a hell of a lot of money.

That is my 2 cents on the subject!

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My problem with CoV was it never really felt like I was being that big of a villain. The kidnapping missions played exactly like the rescue missions from CoH but after you kidnapped the person that was it, they disappear and there is no aftermath to it. I don’t know maybe I just didn’t get deep enough into it for the evilness to really kick in. I do like the look of CoV over CoH. Heroes is just to bright and clean looking for me.

It’s too bad you can’t take you character from one and go to the other. It would have been fun to try and sneak around Liberty city.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I played CoH for a bit, but after a while I found it repetative.

I also found some of the other people there kinda rude and a little stand-offish.

I did get a small reprive recently when my account got reactivated for a few days and I played it a little bit, but it didn't do enough to make me crave playing it again.
    Maybe when I have more time I'll look into CoV, but currently I'm not missing it.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I'd say pick up both on the cheap if you can. Otherwise, CoV's a bit more interesting right now, and it's got more updates coming than CoH.

Myself, I love the game, but at least half of that love comes from the Virtue people. They're great folks, and thanks to them, I have several characters with -tons- of storyline behind them. I personally would probably have gotten bored of the game early on without the RPers, but that's just me. They all make it a lot more enjoyable.

However, -now- there's lots of actual game to do, as opposed to launch. Yeah, it's still a bit repetitive, but there's more stuff coming. Villains are getting "Mayhem" missions soon, where they get a small instanced area to run around and cause loads of environmental damage, among other things.

The kidnap missions basically being rescue missions does kinda suck, but at least there's more post-mission pop-up windows that say what HAPPENED to your target, now.

Really, the game becomes a lot more interesting in teams. There's more possible strategy, usually less frustration, etc. Yes, you can meet crappy people, but I've honestly had -far- more good experiences than bad (on Virtue and Victory, at least). If you encounter someone really cool, team with them lots. You'll probably meet some of their other regular team-buddies, who'll possibly be cool too, and it goes on from there. :D