City of Heroes to end

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Don't have a link handy, read it on GameFly, but Paradigm Studios (sounds right) is being shut down by NCSoft and with it, City of Heroes.

City of Heroes launched in 2004 and I know a lot of people here used to play it. If I remember, it was one of the first big games to go F2P and helped start the entire F2P craze.

My sympathies for those who loved that game and still play it. How it dies and a game like Ultima Online or EverQuest can still make it in today's age is beyond me.

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    God I'll miss this game. I haven't played in years but knowing it was around was comforting.

And it's Paragon Studios, formerly part of Cryptic.

I love the setting they made for that game. It felt deep and immerseive. Truly, my ideal super hero MMO would steal from that setting a lot.

I played since launch for 4 years. I quit just a month before Champions Online was announced. If it hadn't been for Champions, I would have gone back to City of Heroes several times over the years.

This is a really sad event for me. City of Heroes was my home page for like 4 -6 years. I stalked that thing long before release. We dissected the teaser trailer, wailed at the archetype systems introduction, and everything. God, I'll miss knowing that game is around.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    What a great game.... I uses to play this with my friends back in the day.
    It was the only MMO I ever paid monthly for.

I still think City Of Heroes was one of the best MMORPG games ever made.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I never played it, but I know that it was an incredibly popular and important game that helped shape a lot of what happens now with MMOs and such. Shame to see it go.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks. Used to play the hell out of this. I had two lv50s(level cap, unless they since raised it). A Broadsword/Super Reflexes Scrapper that looked like a cross between Wonder Woman and Captain America, named Captain Starblade. My other 50 was a villain on CoV, a Dark Blast/Dark Miasma(I think I'm remembering that right) Corruptor named Evil-Lynn. Both were on the Freedom server. So if anyone that played ever ran into either of those, it was me.

Another character I was pretty proud of, though never got to 50, was my Invulnerable/Super Strength Tanker I based on the "Supa Troll" enemy type. Big, green, and forehead horns like the Supa Trolls, except I dressed him up like Superman, complete with generic "S" logo, and called him Super Troll :lol  He too was on Freedom. And I got A LOT of compliments from other players, either on the same team as me, or just random /tells.

Loved the game, but I absolutely hated it when they decided to add "loot" to the game in the form of costume part recipes and the parts needed to make them. Wanted that cool looking set of wings to complete your character? Have fun grinding enemies in the hopes the recipe MIGHT drop from one of them or just buy it at the Consignment Shop for 10 million Influence/Infamy.

Half the reason I was drawn to CoH in the first place was that it wasn't a loot based and economy driven MMO. And it just pissed me off when the devs finally decided to cave into and cater to all the tools that kept begging and pleading for loot on the forums. I still don't get those people. If they wanted loot and everything that comes with it so badly, then why were they playing CoH/V when there were plenty of other MMOs out there they could've played instead that would've provided that. Instead of kicking and screaming on the forums demanding a non-loot based game be changed to loot-based just to suit them?

Ah well, the game was still extremely fun. Sad to see it go :/

6. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Golden-Eagle on Pinnacle for life!

7. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Xeden on Virtue server here. This came as a blow to me, I still play this game and have a lot of great friends there. I'm really upset over this news.

8. Pyro

Pyro @NurseMidnight

News Credits:
    Nurse Midnight on Virtue server here. August 31st is a sad day for super heroes.

9. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Captain Contradiction of Virtue. I haven't played for a long time, but this still really saddens me.

10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Very sad to hear/read. I really enjoyed CoH and even more, CoV, back in the day, and it will always be remembered as the first super-hero MMO.

Oddly enough, I just started playing CO (I only played pre-launch beta), and I'm having fun. I played DCUO from beta to launch, up until the sony hack (I played it on PS3), and the only thing it had going for it was the IP.

I have characters on CO and DCUO that were originally created on CoH/CoV.

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Need a Super Hero MMO? Play Champions Online.

12. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Champions definitely has better game play and customization, but City of Heroes has a better setting and artistic style.

Still I bought a lifetime subscription to Champions back in beta and don't really regret it at all.

13. Spartan Prime

Champions is blatantly a bad CoH ripoff, just more colorful and more customization options. Gameplay is worse, by far. I played it for all of a week before I tapped out and couldn't take more. I'll take up DCUO before going back to CO. There are designs in the costumes utterly unique to CoH that CO lifted and used. It handles like a shopping cart with a bum wheel.

And as useless a gesture, though well-intended, as they may be, someone began a "Save CoH" petition last night. Already up to almost 7,500 signatures in less than a day.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well, I respect that, but since it's the whole studio that's getting shut down, it's pretty much a done deal.

15. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I played the trial for CoH and never really got into it. I ended up getting into CO when it came out later on. Still, too bad to hear the news. It's nice to know you can go back home again if you want to, but now for many people that's getting closed up.

16. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I can respect your opinion and your preference. Not everyone is going to like everything.

But um, calling Champions a rip off of City is just pants on head ******ed. They were made by the same people. Cryptic made City of Heroes, then was bought by NCSoft. Cryptic was able to break free but left a portion of their staff that became Paragon Studios. Cryptic then went on to start development of their next super hero MMO, originally intended to be Marvel, but the deal fell through. So they took their work, bought the Champions pen and paper IP, and released Champions Online.

Champions is the evolution of City of Heroes, not a rip off. If you don't like the game, that's fine. It's not the best game. Just don't go throwing around baseless insults like a child on the internet.

EDIT: As an aside, and please don't take this as an attack on you, but I find it hilarious that your avatar is a religious phrase while your user name is two big blatant false idols.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Champions has good controls, and battle system, but it's really lacking in substance. It's a shame really. I honestly do enjoy the fighting in it. I just wish they started adding some more variety. I'm surprised they haven't at least added villains.

18. Spartan Prime

There is still talk of other companies buying the rights to the game. Other less probable options as well.

I know the history of CO and CoH well enough, I've been playing CoH for 6 almost 7 years and was present during the split. CO felt like a half-assed copy of what CoH was, both in gameplay and presentation. There was nothing, save a few customization ideas, that CoH didn't provide leaps and bounds ahead of what CO brought. I say "ripoff" because of the lifted costume design options and unused CoH ideas they brought to the table. To me it was very much Diet City of Heroes.

And while I see no attack in your addendum, that you see a Halo character and a Transformers character as "idols", I see two franchises I liked when I created this account. There's nothing big, blatant or false about it, and there is no idolization intended or expressed. The "Reject False Icons" isn't meant to be religious. The image as it is used is an icon itself, that is the whole joke.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Always wanted to play it, guess I'll stick to DCUO

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I think you have more personal/heroic options in CO, but the world and missions can be sort of bland, while over at DCUO your hero options are more restricted but world is more vibrant and better designed.

So, if your character is more important to you, play CO. If the story/world you inhabit is more important, then play DCUO.