City Commander vs Warbot Defender

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, May 25, 2010.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Hi guys,

Just for debate's sake.

I just got my City Commander set (plus add ons) in the mail. New, unopened. I like the idea of this making my Classics Ultra Magnus into well, Ultra Magnus (also known as The Whole Damn Point). However, I realize down in my heart of hearts that this is going to make him into a Partsformer. King of the Partsformers, but a Partsformer nonetheless.

And then I see the new Warbot Defender out there. Not nearly as iconic, and some of the modes look a little silly, but he's a damn fine recreation of a triple changer. A TRIPLE CHANGER for my restless little hands.

There's a part of me that wants to find someone to trade my City Commander set to for a Warbot. And the other part that says to just be happy with what I've got and see what happens down the line. Basically I put it to the community, especially those who have both items: which one do you prefer and why?

2. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Keep CC because he's definitely an awesome Transformer regardless of it being a parts-former.

The original UM was a parts-former as well and CC is a genuine homage to its G1 predecessor.

Warbot is also super cool, but if I had to choose one... I would have to pick CC due to the fact that he's more iconic and he's technically IMO what put third parties on the map.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus > Springer

I don't care at all that he's a partsformer. The original one was a partsformer too so I don't mind. To me Defender doesn't look as good as City Commander.

But maybe you should trade him. Sounds like you'd be happier with Defender. It's all about what makes YOU happier. Not what we think is better.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to side with the City Commander crowd too. As neat a figure as Defender is, he lacks the sheer presence that an Ultra Magnus fully decked out in armor has. As cc'75 said, the City Commander armor is the quintessential 3rd party product. And I would go so far as to say that an armored Ultra Magnus figure isn't Ultra Magnus if doesn't partsform to some degree, as I love the idea of an inner white robot.

For my closing argument:

[​IMG]

5. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There both great! I would need both, but I would grab CC first if I had too pick.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    City Commander, no doubt.

7. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As others have said, CC Armor.

8. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

This...this is a very compelling argument. :) 

9. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I'd stick with the City Commander armor.

Warbot just came out, chances are you'll have plenty of shots at getting him again down the line, while CC has already pretty much reached the end, with all the repaints and re-issues he's going to get.

Springer may yet get a decent Hasbro incarnation, but Ultra Magnus... the classic definition of Ultra Magnus as a white Optimus Prime wearing blue and red armor... will NEVER see the light of day. If we do get one, he'll be all in one, or another white Optimus repaint.

Ultra Magnus being a partsformer makes sense since... well, he's wearing ARMOR.

I have both, and though I love Warbot, if I have to choose I'd go with CC all the way. He's still one of the most imposing and badass toys I own, as well as being a perfect example of what a Classics figure should be: an updated version of the figure that manages to capture and retain the character, so that when you look at it, you say 'That's Ultra Magnus'.

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I'd stick with the City Commander armor.

Warbot just came out, chances are you'll have plenty of shots at getting him again down the line, while CC has already pretty much reached the end, with all the repaints and re-issues he's going to get.

Springer may yet get a decent Hasbro incarnation, but Ultra Magnus... the classic definition of Ultra Magnus as a white Optimus Prime wearing blue and red armor... will NEVER see the light of day. If we do get one, he'll be all in one, or another white Optimus repaint.

Ultra Magnus being a partsformer makes sense since... well, he's wearing ARMOR.

I have both, and though I love Warbot, if I have to choose I'd go with CC all the way. He's still one of the most imposing and badass toys I own, as well as being a perfect example of what a Classics figure should be: an updated version of the figure that manages to capture and retain the character, so that when you look at it, you say 'That's Ultra Magnus'.

11. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

I am the lone wolf, War Bot defender all the way.

12. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Keep City Commander regardless of what I say, but get Springer too. They're both great pieces my man. City Commander is still my fave though. This could change when Protector comes out, but I doubt it somehow. I will love the set, but City Commander is the most perfect form of Ultra Magnus out there (for me at least). Don't get rid of him, buy Springer and have both I say. :D 

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Its got to be CC, don't let part forming put you off done well its far from a bad thing, for an armour bot part forming is almost a must to get any level of possing out of it or you just take a fantastic well articulated core toy and turn it into a brick (I'm looking a you Movie Prime + Jetfire). Also lets face it the City Comander armour makes ULTRA Magnus, we could still get a triple changer DLX springer from hasbro although it might not be as complex as FP's.
    Personally try to get both but if you have to pick CC might not be the better toy but its the more iconic and I think would keep most people happyer in the long run.

14. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    City Commander FTW! Bust that bad boy out and you'll see why it's a winner.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    city commander hands down, defender is good. but city commander is better even with parts forming

16. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    keep the cc armor.

think of other ways to get defender.

'either/or' mentality fails. thinking 'both' wins all the time.

good luck and enjoy! :) 

17. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Defender is cool and all, but City Commander obliterates Defender any day.

18. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just flip a coin to make a decision. Let fate decide.

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    My thought is that he may be a "parts-former", but for me, those parts are never being removed from him. I have had him since the original release, and his armor has been on since 10 minutes after he arrived at my doorstep, never to be removed.

If I am reading correctly (and I may not be), you have not opened him yet. Once you get the armor, and all of it's awesomeness on, you may have a slightly different opinion of it.

I received my Warbot Defender at the same time as my DIA Commander and decided to line up all my Commander suits and Warbot together. While I am pretty satisfied with Defender, I still find myself looking in amazement at City Commander and how impressive it truely is.

Once it is on, if it's not your thing, you should be able to hauk it for a reasonable price and get your Springer, but I would not sell it short until you have seen it in all it's glory.

20. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Dude keep it. It's great. He's an awesome centerpiece in my classics collection. Not to mention the fact that it forms a great trailer. While saying this, you need to get Defender too, but chances are you will be able to get him for less than it will cost you if you trade CC now, and he becomes rare again. I love the fact that by end of the year, with Impossible toys Arcee, CC, Defender and the upcoming Protector Armor, I can finally have the main cast of Season 3 on my classics shelf. Now somebody just needs to make a classics Scourge and my life will be complete :D