Customs: City Commander face idea, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by process, Dec 1, 2010.

1. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to provide my City Commander with an IDWesque face. The closet thing I was able to find was an Alternators Prowl face, which was a junker so please excuse the rough cutting/fitting. I'm not interested in modifying the City Commander helmet in any way, just because it would be too costly to replace just in case, and my modding skills are novice at best. I realize this will compromise the final appearance somewhat.

Anyway, do you guys think this makes for a (more) convincing Ultra Magnus? Is there a better face any of you can think of?

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

If this works then it will be epic!

Edit:Oh and have you thought about making a cast of the City Commander helmet and then modding the cast?

3. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, it does sort of work physically. I need to find myself another face, and this time, be a little more careful trimming it down to fit the CC helmet. I'm just looking for advice whether it looks right, and if there's a better face to use.

And gosh, learning how to cast would be a completely separate exercise for me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think if you're going for the IDW look, what you've done here works great. I like how simple, yet effective it is. Nice job so far!

My only suggestion, if you want to do something different from yours here, is maybe some mods or sculpting to the face and/or City Commander helmet. I started work on mine and ended up with a nice G1/IDW vibe by simply carving some of the face and helmet, building and sculpting a new nose from styrene, and cutting down that ridiculous Jay Leno chin.

Here's what I did so far (it's been on hold due to a move and it's still boxed up at the moment): http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/314192-ultra-magnus-city-commander-wip.html

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you know...this makes me wonder if my big lots ko dev head would make a good magnus head...hmm

6. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FYI, tfsource has 3 KO Prowls in stock for $12: KO BT-15 Prowl - Chinese Police Car

I'm actually quite familiar with your excellent face sculpt. If I were a more experienced modeller I would definitely try to emulate what you've done, as I certainly prefer it to the other face mods I've seen (Masterpiece Starscream and Alt/BT Smokescreen(?) faces).

However, I think I will try to reduce the size of the chin. Blunting the pointy tip will make it look a lot more like my reference image. Thanks!

7. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

i like it! i'm going to see if i have an extra prowl head to do this.

8. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Well my dilemma is the opposite, I need to make look less Magnusy

I'm glad I found this thread before starting a new one; I have DIA Commander and I'm thinking of one of two things; attemptimg to paint his face darker, more bronze type, maybe just dark enough to almost match his hands and should towers, keeping the chin-piece white to mimic a beard - or finding an old Gundam head and hacking the mask off of it to make him look a little bit more like Optimus (hopefully not to much like Star Saber like one reviewer mentioned on youtube:D )