City/Base formers.....playability potential?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shinobi77, May 3, 2010.

1. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    So I've been having this discussion with a few friends on and off since Armada and the whole minicon mess.

As we all know, the whole thing with Armada and minicons was unlocking powers, abilities, etc.

But, they never took it to the next step. A base former where the minicons could "Transform Autobot City". The playability would have been enormous and minicon sales I bet would have gone through the roof. We already know Supreme Pricepoints isn't a problem......

so, would anyone else like to see a base former for minicons/legends get a shot?

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    OP's trailer turned into a minicon base

3. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it would be a great idea!

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Minicon mess...bite your tounge.

That aside, yes, any city-former to be created now and forever should have full Mini-con functionality.

5. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    Op's trailer was nothing but a folded inside out box with a wannabe tower.

I really don't count that as a base at all, let alone a city.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    but how big should it be, should it be small like metroplex or huge like fort max? i have both and have used legends, spychangers, minibots, and minicons on them and both have advantages, but metroplex is quite small and fort max is big enough to serve as a base for deluxes.....i think something in the middle would be great

7. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    well think about, a supreme class toy would work quite well for minicons and legends. I mean take the size of Galaxy Force Megalo Convoy. (I refuse to call him metroplex for obvious reasons) or Primus. Lots of wasted potential on those toys. Calling that reclaimer Metroplex for one was just bad taste in my opinion...
    but you've seen some of the kitbashes by now that some of the Radicons have done. Having a bot with some parts that come out to form ramps and pads wouldn't be too hard I'd think. Plug a mincon in, and a cannon comes out, or some armor folds in.......
    I just think hasbro's vision has narrowed too much when it comes to the toys.
    I mean, they can make a sucktastic RPM Devastator set, that doesn't transform, but they don't make an actual base former where the RPMs, minicons, or whatever can truly interact with.

8. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Come to think of it, A Minicon/Powercore-combiner Cityformer would make a pretty darn cool playset. Priced at the Supreme pricepoint (roughly the same as ROTF Devvy), HasTak would sell heaps of them - I'd much rather buy a Cityformer than ROTF Devvy. Hmmmm... *pictures new-age Cityformer full of minicon-ports*

9. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Hasbro seems to be moving away from larger bots (save the masterpieces) and towards cheaper (to develop, produce and buy) molds.

Having said that, I wish they'd do Omega Supreme, Trypticon, Fort Max or Metroplex as a Masterpiece because it would be in 'semi scale' to the other 'bots.

I have Metroplex and Trypticon and they are great baseformers even for deluxes. But I have to be a little drunk to play with my Transformers like that. ;) 

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd like a Citybot that just unfolds and unfolds and unfolds. Minicon ports everywhere. You start with the main base structure and then stick on a Minicon and some of the buildings slide out to become bigger. Another port and ramps open from them. Another port and a helipad opens. Another a medical bay. Another command centre. Another a training area with target range. Another guns. And more guns. And ports to activate the guns and lights and sounds. Another port and storage and prison cells open. Vehicle launchers activate. Have a port which flips the Minicon logo on it to an Autobot or Decepticon logo for whichever army you want your Minicons to fight with.
    If it's going to be a Minicon base I'd want at least twenty key ports, and by the end of it the main base structure has been unlocked and opened out to cover twice the space.
    Of course with something like that it also having a robot mode might not be possible, but stick three Minicon figures in with it and I'm sure many kids would be happy enough.

At least that's what I'd do. Probably be rather costly though.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind JUST a citybot, Mini-cons or not. When was the last time we had one?

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    ^This.
    90 something... when we got the G1 baseformer repaints, right?

13. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

We are so overdue for a CityFormer, methinks!! Reckon one that unfolds when you plug in minicons would be a pretty nifty idea, but I reckon it's basic size should be around Supreme size, at the very least.

UJ

14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    QFT. I think the closest we got would be Primus or Unicron from that series. Love that idea though.

15. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd like to see new big TF playsets/base bots as much as the next guy, but...

How did you figure that? The shelfwarming Armada Unicrons, Cyb Starscreams, and ROTF Devastators would like to have a word with you. Not to mention the big-ass Millennium Falcons and GI Joe Pits I keep seeing everywhere. The only exception to the rule in recent memory are Omega Supreme and Sentinel from the Energon line. But that's because they weren't distributed near as heavily.

16. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

Out of curiousness; what did Metroplex and or Fort Max cost upon their original release?

I think really I'd be up or a re-issue of the other city-formers before we get new ones in someways, but a new one could be epic.

17. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    okay, to follow your line....

Unicrons- Double release with massive over saturization, IE Armada and Energon Released too close together, and Armada itself having full double runs. I remember the first run sold out pretty fast so Habsor decided to go a second time, not to mention a very poor gimmick ("ring of minicons" puh lease)

Cyb Starscream- again, an over abundance of a price class here, still have the tail end of energon unicrons hanging around, not to mention of a much more wanted toy in Primus/Cybertron. Also during this time was the massive reduction of stores for TRU where he was found the most, so some places got inundated by screamers while others lost the chance or never saw him. I'm one of those places. I had to go second market to find mine, as my TRU up and disappeared before I knew what was happening.

and you really want me to bring up Devy? Do you really?
    I'm sorry, who wants a 100 dollar megazord that's way out of scale and doesn't do much other than scream?

the falcons, maybe released a bit late for the new generation that was fed on pod racers and army droids?

Joe Pits.......maybe because it wasn't really shown in the movie? I don't know, never saw one up here. And from what I saw, was basically over glorified treehouse......

To point out your Energon omega and sentinel, a few big things it had going.
    most obvious is the name. Second was he had a minicon partner that was useful and a worth while gimmick, lastly he was able to "combine" with prime. Not to mention the many homages he had like most of Energon to begin with.

Now imagine if you will, a G1 metroplex, a bit taller, more articulated, and minicon/key ports that reveal some of his guns, or, even become some of his guns/towers like six gun and slammer? You have a bot in size with classics, he has his base mode that can protect classics bots, and you have a vehicle tank than can roll along with his classics buddies.

Point is, if they put out a toy with an ounce of thought into it, toys would be greatly desired.

You talk of other lines, look at Macross? You have multi hundred dollar items, and after the first year, they get very hard to find because of the design, quality, and engineering. Even many Gundam kits are this way.

I seriously think with the play features of a city former being able to interact with the toys it supports would make parents more apt to buy it.

18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if memory serves... Metroplex was around $40 or so at my local TRU and Fortress Maximus was around $90 at my local TRU. Don't remember exactly on Metroplex, but I'm pretty positive on Fort Max.

19. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

Metroplex was definatly 35.99 I remeber buying him with my birthday money when he came out

20. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

City/base formers are very cool when done right.

Personaly I'm against city-formers, and more for transformers whose alt modes are firebases or outposts, something that can somewhat in scale with most of the figures. I think G1 Micromasters pulled those off pretty well and Omega Supreme is also great as a launching pad base with an automated defense in the form of a tank.