Citizen Stack, or Hasbro/Takara UM with X-2 add on.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MasterScale, Aug 24, 2016.

?

Which Ultra Magnus?

1. Citizen Stack

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Has/Tak with x-2 add on

51 vote(s)
    76.1%
  3. other

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to place this, as it touches on both 3rd party, and HasTak... Anyway, wondering what your all thoughts are on a choice between the two Ultra Magnus-es I mentioned in the thread title. Sort of torn myself.

2. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

I've had both. I think UM is loads better. I like the transformation more as well as the look. Stack isn't a bad figure, but the plastic is just OK and the circle around the belt area tends to wear poorly with more play/use.

If you do go with Stack, the SXS head kit is a must in my opinion.

Good luck!

3. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

stax is by far is the weaker of the two. I own stax w/the sxs upgrade witch is a must but hes one of the few figures that i own that im afraid to transform due to how fragile he feels. plus its hard to get everything lined up. Be warned he is one of the lightest mp figures that i own

for the reason i choose stax over Ultra is i love how big he is and i got him for a hundred and twenty shipped so price was a big deciding factor for me

4. MasterScale

Thanks, guys. I was leaning in the Has/Tak + X2 direction, but this seals it for me. I like the design of KFC's stuff a lot, but I have heard that they have some frequent QC issues.

5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I went with other cause im going with mp22 bone stock

6. duttry98

duttry98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had Stack/SXS, he was OK. Notice I said had, he didn't stick around to long. MP-22 for me. So I say other.

7. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I went with Stack because as someone else said, he was much, MUCH cheaper (second hand). Like half what MP22 goes for. And I do like him, though I'd prefer MP22. Maybe someday.

8. JLOJ

JLOJ Transformative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I have MP-22 with the X2 Toys shoulder/gun kit and KFC hands. Love the added pose ability and articulation with them.

9. MasterScale

One more thing everyone - I didn't realize that my choice for Has/Tak with X-2 add on could be seen as MP-22 with X2 add on.

What I mean is Thrilling 30/Generations/Legends with add on.

Sorry about the confusion :eek: 

10. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Do you have any particular collecting goals? I mean CW/Legends Magnus is pretty dead on to the IDW design although the head is very G1. I'm sure the add ons compensate the posability issues. It's like a mini MP22 in some ways.
    Citizen Stack seems to be a mix of the G1 toy, IDW, and some unique stylization. I personally like the figure but I can't really recommend it. I'd recommend Dai Commander Stack in a heartbeat though as the Diaclone colors just look really good.
    As a mold V2 Stack is actually quite decent. I've had no breakage issues or worries that it's going to break. You can safely ignore any such worries. It's kind of fun for me to transform, and it does pose decently enough. The SXS head is definitely a must.
    That said the shoulder missiles do sometimes pop out as does the shoulder (though for the most part they hold; it's not a floppy mess by any means). What truly disappointed me on Citizen Stack in particular is that his white plastic looks yellowed. CW Magnus also has that but somehow it feels intentional on the CW toy wheras it just looks like KFC used crappy white plastic that quickly yellowed through the box. For some reason my Dai Stack feels a bit more solid.
    I guess I could just say Citizen Stack since he's big and fun and requires only one add on (the head). I enjoy CW and Legends Magnus in their stock form myself and they're great looking figures to be sure.

11. BeastOfTheEast

BeastOfTheEast Freedom is the right of all sentient beings

I think a lot of people who have voted thought that you meant MP-22, and that's why the voting is very lopsided. If people had realized that you meant Combiner Wars/United Warriors Ultra Magnus with the X-2 add-on, the voting results would be quite different. I voted for Citizen stack because it is vastly superior the CW Ultra Magnus. Especially if you can get V2 Stack, which has fixed the loose hips in V1. The plastic is way better than the CW figure and has much less hollowness. Also the articulations really beats the CW UM. Not sure about how the plastic compares with UW since I have not handled the UW version. I don't know if you care about scale or not. And which shelf do you plan to put this UM with? CHUG vs. MP vs. IDW? These are other factors you may need to take into account

12. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

If you are a slave to G1 Animation then MP22. If you like a little twist and something with "flavor", Stack.
    Mp22 fits the G1 character; heavy, rigid and colored like a playskool toy... just like g1.

No waist swivel with Mp-22 and the hands suck in comparison. Funny KFC made replacements for Mp-22 ^^.

Got them both. they are both a blast. Also kept a Diaclone Stack but not going for Mp-22d.
    Stack 2nd run though is the way to go... better colors and fixed leg ratchets.

13. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Official toys are usually sleeker than 3rd party. Citizen Stack was released in KFC's earlier days and lacks the finesse they've gained. That said, I've never held Stack so I can't say much. If you're willing to pay more, go with the official Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. The X2 upgrade does wonders to it and makes the figure much more lively but they are a pain to get in and the blue sells out fast. KFC's hands for MP22 are also great, they're sturdier than their other offerings and the transformation works doesn't disrupt them.

14. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I can vouch for the addons for mp magnus. Both are very worthwhile imo. Especially those shoulder parts, makes posing his arms so much more fun.

I dunno why anyone would bother with the generations figure now, it was ok for the time but the upgrades do little to improve it.

And we have a much much better classics magnus' on the way from maketoys. Armor set, base figure and everything.

KFC's failed to capture the look or feel of an mp and is stupidly too big for any classics collection.

15. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

Ebay:
    Eh.. are you just getting one to have the character represented in your shelf, or for a specific collection size?

Stack only works for MP and even then he could be too tall for some.

I got the CW UM first and he is ok, very representative of the current Hasbro toys IMO.. looks good, hollow, light and not too expensive. He sits with my smaller figures like CW or chug 3P.

I then got a good deal on a new v2 Stax, and the SXS head for him. Very happy overall, no issues and he is nice and solid.

The price of CW + x2 kit new is probably what you could get a used V2 Stax for...

16. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have them both as well. I prefer Stack over MP-22 by a great deal. To me it sort of resembles UM from IDWs Spotlight:Ultra Magnus. Dont get me wrong, mp22 is nice, i just really like Stack over it.

17. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

OP you should edit your initial post and clarify that that you aren't talking about MP22 but rather the Hasbro generations Leader class UM, seems like a lot of people are confused as I was initially.

18. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I still prefer Classics UM with FP City Commander over Hasbro's version... but I do like having the little Minimus figure, so I guess I'd vote for Hasbro's (not Tomy's) version?

It's a strange matchup, since the KFC thing is intended to go with MP figures.

19. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Makes the vote result pretty useless.

Leader UM > Citizen Stack > MP-22

The X2 add-on is expensive for what it does but for me it was worth it.

I feel I'm going to get some hate coming my way ;) 

20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

How about Ultra Magnus with no add on? That kit makes him look less like what he's supposed to look like, not more. Unless you only plan on using the hands.