Circuit City Files For Bankruptcy Protection

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sokar, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Circuit City files for bankruptcy protection: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Looks like it's just a precautionary measure, but still interesting nonetheless.

Can't say I've every really liked circuit city up here in canada. They bought out the radio shack stores and changed them to 'the source'. Oddly enough though they still kept the same jack ass salesmen.

I had about my last transaction in their store about 2 months ago when I bought a targus laptop lock took it home and found a split on the side of the packaging. upon closer inspection it looked like it was missing parts so I took it back (this is within less than an hour of purchasing it). I had phoned ahead and told them what happened and they were going to put one aside for me. I went in and ended up talking to the same guy who sold me the 2 locks before hand and the guy said that it wasn't like that when I bought it. He argued with me until I finally said 'look, so you think that I bought 2 of these, went home, broke the packaging and took out the little velcro peice? then came back to get a complete one why?' Finally the guy just said to take one off the shelf and that's what I did. I then saw him take the incomplete one and put it back on the shelf like nothing was wrong with it. Seriously. I expect slimy salespeople when I walk in there, but that really crossed the line with me. Personally, I'm half willing to hope that circuit city goes under if they continue to hire people like that.

2. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

good, they sucked anyway. I can go to best buy for a better selection

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Both Circuit City's near me have everything on sale, as they're closing permanently in December.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    To be honest, I've seen crap like that other places too, not just CC. Unfortunately, the world is full of ignorant people and they, too, must work somewhere.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    All 5 in my area, the Kansas City Metro, are closing.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

none is Oregon or Hawaii is closing...

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

It sucks that people will be losing their jobs but I'm glad CC is dieing. I've never once been able to go into one and get an advertised item, even if I'm there at 10am on Sunday when they open. Their employess are clueless about everything and are rarely even willing to help you and the stores are just not organized well.

As for the closing stores, beware. The people who liquidated Comp USA are liquidating those stores. Theres been reports that they've actually raised the price on some merchandise.

http://consumerist.com/5079502/no-deals-notorious-compusa-liquidator-to-run-circuit-city-closings

http://consumerist.com/5082349/insi...ing-to-circuit-city-stores-that-arent-closing

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah I went there and their sale was crap, I will wait till they are really selling stuff 10% is crap. They are now up to 20% but I did not see anything worth it.

9. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    Good riddance. I worked 7 years as a Radio Shack store manager and these people drive managers to the burnout point.

It's been 10 years and I don't regret leaving that company.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I feel bad for ones losing their jobs. Even if alot of them provided lousy customer service.

11. Hook

News Credits:
    Circuit City/Radioshack/The Source employees are only as bad as the training they receive from their store manager.

Back when I was a salesperson, I strived to give the best possible service. No bullshit, just the honest truth. The company didn't like that, because I encouraged customers to buy brand names like Panasonic and Sony, instead of the Radioshack-branded product.

It's that honesty that gave me a loyal customer base and that's how I became the best salesperson in the district two years in a row. Shortly after, I got promoted as a store manager.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's kind of sad that this happened, but I could see it coming.

Generally, the only time Circuit City had something at a lower price than anyone else it was because the item was marked incorrectly.

Not really related, but anyone remember Circuit City's "DIVX enhanced" DVD players?
    GAWD, what a joke!
    (And, it had nothing to do with the codec.)

13. Hook

News Credits:
    Yup. Remember Penny Arcade's Div character? The grumbling, drunken Divx player? Hehe

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I've never been that into Penny Arcade.
    I do, however, remember the chick at Circuit City telling me that my hooking this DIVX DVD player into a dedicated phone line was somehow an "enhancement".