Cinco De Mayo Present from DJW

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by G1Wheeljack, May 5, 2011.

1. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It kinda is, considering Hasbro has no reason anymore for helping based no the fact that a toyline won't be made, why would they be wasting time with helpíng him redesign random generics for a BotCon comic when they have a movie line and a new cartoon to take care of?

2. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I guess it's fitting in a way. Longrack always was a little 'big-headed' in the 'toon. :D 

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a fan. But I was always a fan of Longrack.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    But we know nothing of the process of the characters that were designed during Transformers Animated. It's quite possible that some of Derrick's designs were rejected (or Hasbro asked him to tweak a bit), but it's also quite possible that some of his designs were approved right away.

I'm not the biggest fan of his Mudflap, Chromia or Stampy, but I'm prrrreeetty sure he also made a couple ones that I like, like Mirage, Rosanna, Cheetor (before TCC meddled with it a bit) that were made when Animated was already done. And I also think some characters he made for fun during his time working on the series, like Sky Garry, didn't go through the same approval process (if any) as show characters.

You're sort of implying that the man doesn't do it right without Hasbro giving him pointers, which I think is giving him less credit than he deserves.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually the simple fact they're all unique characters with unique designs pretty much rules them out as "random generics." I think you mean "background character."

Very unlikely. remember, these designs (for the show) have to be made into toys with actually transform.

6. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I don't. I find everything he did after Almanac 2 butt ugly.

7. Digilaut

News Credits:
    I was thinking more about the overall look and feel of the character. I understand it takes alot of back&forths to get to a design that works as a toy, but those are details that can be worked out once the look of a character is set.

Wait, why did the show need an art director again? Seems like people at Hasbro are doing his job anyway.

Yes, let's just totally ignore what I said about how you and I don't know which characters he got right himself during Animated, and which he didn't and where he needed extra pointers, and skip right to the end so you can say something cool again.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I really like how they got his "spots" on him. They almost look like tanktreads.

Alot of people complain about the head of cheetor, but I was really hoipng for the geometric spots, and was sad to see that go. I may do my first animated paint touchup and change it to that. Would liek to know if that was a production thing that made them change that, i'm going to try and ask Funpub at the panel.

Back on topic, I like this design, and I've always wanted to get the original toy. Alot of those were just so odd, they worked.

Randy!

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    SIgh.....I wasn't done watching animated. I still miss it

10. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

The best thing about Animated was that it wasn't movie-inspired like Prime.

11. Digilaut

News Credits:
    I think Prime is a pretty capable show. Wait, I'm not sure if that means you liked Animated or not :lol 

Aaanyway..doesn't really matter I guess. Everybody likes different things and all that. :thumbs2:  Just wish fans wouldn't always see things so black&white.

12. DMNHNTR_91

DMNHNTR_91 Member

it looks stupid.

13. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Every single character according to everybody in the production was a partnership, Hasbro, Derrick Wyatt and Maramba were together in everything including "supposed to be but never finished for" Season 3 characters like Kup and Wheelie.

They told us it was a partnership, but we also know that the partnership ended, it's not rocket science to assume that Hasbro and Derrick already stopped working together on his FunPub designs and quite frankly I think it shows because I'm just not digging any of the new ones.

Something cool? I didn't realy think "i dislike those designs theyre ugly" is a cool thing to say, a cool way to end my message would be something badass like "THIIISSS CONVERSAAATION ENDS NOW!" or something.

14. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

I think this looks cool.

Derrick is doing what he always does, take elements from previous versions of characters and continuities -- and adds his taste for the final design. He's a great designer clearly. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I think this fits in great with his TFA design continuity. Most complaints I've read in this thread relate to personal taste and don't hold much water as to wether or not this fits in to TFA.

And relating to who's responsible for the look. Make no mistake, DJW was the horse that drove the Hasbro cart, design-wise. They would NEVER, I repeat NEVER create something so unique as TFA on their own - not by a mile. His creative vision inspired toy designers to cut a new path and do things they've never done -- and thank god we got a great toy line.

Give credit where credit is due -- to DJW.

15. Mumbo

Mumbo Well-Known Member

Well, you are just flat out wrong. And you are grasping for "facts" that are not true. Your opinions are one thing, but to say that Hasbro's involvement is what is different is not correct. Some of the characters for the show had minor tweaks done to the designs to make them toys. Some were modified or started by Eric, where he took the lead. Some had no changes at all. Bulkhead, Prime, Jazz and many others didn't change at all, neither did 99% of the season 3 incidentals, which were never going to be toys. Characters like Kup, Wheelie and Mirage came right from my sketchbooks with no Hasbro involvement, well after the show is over.

Don't try to back up your opinions with your assumptions that are not based in reality.

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Bulkhead, Prime and Jazz didn't change at all? There's pics in the Almanac that look VERY different from the final material, in special I recall an Optimus with smokestack shoulders and a terrible squated face.

But very well, if I'm wrong about that then I am, but it changes nothing, the new Botcon designs are still butt ugly with or without a background reason for quality decay.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    thank you DJW always enjoy new animated stuff.

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Praying with B_O for this as well!! :thumb 

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sweet Longrack. I love that figure.

I've never watched BW Neo so i honestly don't know much about him.

20. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Awesome!

I was kinda hoping for a Mexican themed robot. Complete with maracas, poncho, and sombrero...