CHUG: US vs. Japanese: Chrome or no chrome?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Dec 7, 2011.

?

To Chrome, or not to Chrome?

1. Chrome! (Oooh shiny!)

35 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No chrome! (Too bright! Gah, my eyes!)

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Don't care

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. BOTH! The variants are so different they can pass for different characters. MORE CHUG!!!

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

It's the ultimate chrome throwdown! Which do you prefer? The Japanese versions with the chrome or the US ones without? Discuss, cite reasons, and enjoy.

My vote: Chrome. I just think it makes the figures look that much better. Mirage is the shining (literally) example of this. When I got him, I was surprised by how much detail was chromed and the fact that it was in two colors. It really brings out the details that are left off on the US versions.

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    No brainer for me, my OG's had chrome AND were diecast, an since diecast is a " a lost art", I'll take the chrome. :) 

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends where the chrome is. If it's somewhere that actually works/makes sense, like Henkei Prime or Hound, then I'll much prefer the Henkei. But if it's on some random ass spot (see: Grimlock) I tend to prefer the non-chromed one.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Henkei has chrome just like G1 toys.... yes. makes TOTAL sense.

5. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a tough choice. I LOVE the look of the chrome when it's on the accessories on many of the '84-'85 characters. Outside of that, it sometimes looks a bit randomly thrown on there, but it can also look nice. I really like chrome.

Despite what my heart wants, I've got to vote for the U.S. non-chrome releases. My only chromed Takara Classics style figure is Hound, and he's already got bumper wear even though I haven't messed with him that much. Checking chrome and seeing little scratches on 50 other figures would drive me insane.

Plus, with this vote I still get Perceptor and his chrome is my favorite. TRU Rodimus has got some tiny worn chrome spots, but MPs need the stuff to maximize their maximus awesometer to the extreeeme.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a case by case thing, with the Henkeis. I like the chrome guns and grills, and honestly I don't mind the chrome spoilers like on the Lambo mold...where it's random to me is Grimlock and Galvatron (I bought only because I like the rest of the deco compared to the Hasbro release).

Part of the reason I liked the chrome weapons thrown in to the FansProject G3 trailer is they fit in perfectly with the mix of Hasbro and Takara Classics I own, so those were a nice plus. I'm actually kind of sad Takara didn't use at least a little chrome for United just for consistency between Henkei and United, though if it was as random as some of the Henkei chrome choices and the shiny paint used on some of the United toys, I don't know if it'd be a positive or negative compared to what we we did get.

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Henkei/United G2 Prime needs some chrome hub-caps and front grille.

8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Don't really care, only got Henkeis that were drastically different from the US deco altogether.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    on most chrome, the shiny paint, nope, only one i like that on is tracks

10. Yop the Yopper

Yop the Yopper Banned

The only Henkei I've felt compelled top put into my Classics collection is Hound. His chrome seems to be in the right places.

11. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Both, though I prefer Henkei. There are only a few that it doesn't work for me as well on. Not really needed on Skyfire (though I still like their other choices on that Henkei more). In addition to the chrome, the paint apps are generally better on the Henkei versions IMO. Smokescreen, Astrotrain, cohesive seekers. The Henkei line just did a lot of stuff well. Still need to knock out Smokescreen, Mirage, Prowl, and BB.

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Generally I like it, but mostly because I think it works better in concert with the upgraded paint apps on most of the Henkei figures over the older Classics/Universe ones (which look downright bland and even ugly by comparison). The random bits of chrome placement don't bother me (for example, on the Seekers' nullrays, which aren't even the correct shape to begin with mold-wise and yet chrome on it drives some folks up the freakin' wall, which I don't get at all).

And chrome is shiny and pleasing to the eye if tastefully done, as with Mirage, Prime, and Hound (the others like the Datsun and Lambo brothers' chrome spoilers don't bother me but don't wow me a whole lot either). Throw in TFC's and FP's G3 trailer chrome weapons and I'll be in chrome heaven. =)

13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I'd prefer no chrome, partly because in some cases it's to bling-y and second because in the long run, they'd be much harder to maintain. I hate to see chrome wear on a figure. Other than that though, Henkei figures are much much better for me, I like their paint apps and plastic more than the Hasbro ones.

14. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely Chrome TF will be on my radar

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have nothing against chrome in general, but I've always thought it was used poorly on the various Takara lines.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

For me, chrome improved 99% of all Henkei figures making them superior to their Hasbro counterparts. But the shiny paint used on most United figures made them look utterly ridiculous. The key point here is that we do actually have a choice between the two so if you are not entirely feeling the deco on one particular version there is always another (usually different enough) version for you to choose from.
    Generally, I'm a fan of chrome as long as it's done tastefully. Henkei Grimlock is definitely pushing his luck...

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Varies by figure. If there's notable chromed areas that were chrome in G1 (Prowl + bros launchers) then I want them chrome now. If it's just random chrome cause they're bored, I'll probably get US.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If it's tastefully done, like on Henkei Convoy, it's fine. That's a big reason I like RTS Perceptor so much.

But when it's a dinosaur with a chrome vest, or a tank with a blingturret, it's just downright stupid.

19. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Depends on the figure really. Some are great (Optimus, Mirage, Sunstreaker, Hound) others not so much (Bumblebee, Starscream/Seekers).

Randy

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The title makes no sense, that aronym includes Henkei.