Minor/Repaint: CHUG Roadbuster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Jun 20, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I got an Iron Man crossover at Marshalls for $8, and i was like "autobotx23s roadbuster looked awesome and easy, I should do that". Well, turns out his roadbuster lied to me. This wasn't fun or easy at all. It was... whats that other word... Oh yeah, tedious. This was really tedious. I think the results are pretty cool though, so I'm ok with it. I sculpted the head around Iron Mans head, sanded down all the chainmail (though I probably could have cleaned it up a bit more), sculpted over the tire stars, and added some stuff to his legs. His shoulder cannon is from a McFarlane Halo toy, his chain gun of doom is built from two gi joe guns, the left over parts from the shoulder cannon, and styrene, and his rifle is completely styrene except for the scope which is Scourges head gun. Added a little pack that can attach to his roof in vehicle mode to add the cannon, though it looks pretty dumb.

The first time I saw his vehicle mode complete was while I was taking the pics, and luckily it didn't come out quite as mish-mash as I thought it would, but its still pretty bad. I actually wanted to paint him in his All Hail Megatron colors (with pale olive green instead of brown), but I decided since I was making him for eBay and not for myself, potential customers would probably prefer him in his classic colors over ones from one mini-series. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i bought an ironmon crossover yesterday at ROSS for $8 too, gonna do the same thing.

this looks great man. and Earl's the man with RB lol

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks great man

4. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    nice custom! I like your style and paint apps. But why is it allways Chug this Chug that?

5. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

hey thanks everyone.

@Auceps: I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure CHUG is an acronym for Classics _ Universe Generations. I honestly dont know what the h stands for

6. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Me three! Great minds think alike. I also bought a crossovers Ironman at Ross for $8 the other day for the same reason, cause autobotx23's Roadbusters are so awesome looking that they inspired me to make my own. I even sanded off all the chain mail already so I can just get going on him as soon as I pick out the paints and figure out how I'm doing his head and accessories. (Anybody know where/who I can buy a kidbash Roadbuster kit from btw?) This looks really great man. I like all the accessories you gave him, hopefully I'll be able to do something similar. The alt. mode doesn't look bad at all, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm convinced that Hasbro could make an amazing CHUG Roadbuster out of this mold with just a few modifications (fixed shoulders and added grill and weapons) and a new head. Not that they would. Keep up the good work man!:rock 

The H in CHUG is for Henkei btw.

7. Drekar

Drekar Well-Known Member

Looks amazin man, Love the headsculpt I bought that halo gun yesterday wit the same thing in mind, it is an awesome gun for roadbuster, and I was contemplatin gettin the warthog for the chaingun too. Great work

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:lol  How AWESOME is that! I'm glad you pushed through this cusom and knocked it out the park, Love the use of those HALO weapons (I'm still looking for that vehicle to go on clearance at Target). YOU did a great job with the paint apps, I think your only missing the RB kits parts.

The best thing is to pick up a junker G1 Roadbuster, bro. The parts you need from it like the grill, unused door gun, grenade rack, backpack and handlebar are on the RB itself. The only thing you'll have to scour for is the weapons.

9. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Thanks guys.

@Drekar: I wouldn't waste money on buying that whole expensive warthog just for the chain gun. I just made mine out of spare parts and styrene.

@Autobot: Yeah, I wish I had that extra stuff, but I wanted to get him down as cheaply as possible. Which I guess doesn't really mesh with spending $20 just on his shoulder cannon... whoops