CHUG Packaging Question...keep deluxe bubbles or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr. Ginrai, May 15, 2011.

?

Keep CHUG Deluxe bubbles or Not?

Poll closed May 22, 2011.
  1. Keep bubbles on the card like you have been doing (see OP).

23.5%
  2. Keep cardback, paperwork, and bag the figure and accessories.

55.9%
  3. Keep them sealed!

2.9%
  4. Something else (post your reply).

17.6%
  1. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Hi guys,

Although I am a hardcore G1 and Vintage toy collector, it was seeing Classics Starscream when he was released that got me back into buying G1 and looking to complete the line.

For Classics, Universe, and Generations, (I don't buy Henkei) I have been buying as follows:

All deluxe, voyager, and ultra that are modern updates of G1 guys I bought/collect - (Starscream, Hot Rod, Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Inferno, Onslaught, etc.) but I did not buy the ones that were repaints of other toys (Blaster/Cyberton Soundwave, etc.). I also bought any other figures that I just liked, but I did not buy any mini-con/legend or scout sized CHUG stuff (although I will be buying windcharger, etc. because he fits my collecting profile above).

I don't mind holding onto boxes for onslaught, classics jetfire, etc. even though I do feel they are a waste because they are so much bigger than the toy and there is no box or bubble.

With the deluxes however, the bubbles drive me crazy because the designs look cool, but they are not stackable!!! They are wway too unsturdy. So I am thinking of just taking the deluxes (a large amount of my total CHUG collection) down to backer cards & instructions & papers and bagging the toys to gain some space back.

Several of the toys I have are still sealed (haven't had time to open them yet) and worth much more than I paid for them, but I don't care. I will still be opening all of them.

For the ones that are open already, I sliced the tape open, and then gently lift three of the four sides of the bubble (usually leave the bottom attached because it folds back up to give that sealed look) to leave as much of the card graphics intact as possible.

So, what have you guys done? Bubbles or no bubble and why? What do you think I should do?

2. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    yea, I used to save the bubbles and stack them in printer paper boxes, but they really started to pile up after a while and seemed like a waste of space. I took it down to just the card backs. Just too damn many figures to keep em for me atleast. I am almost considering doing it with some of the lesser Voyagers that I have, cause the piles are getting out of hand again.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I just keep the instructions and toss out the rest. Why do you even need all that other stuff really..?

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    well @ the moment I saving them.. but since I got the most loose..
    I think i'd rather get to a point soon and keep the backing cards I guess :( 

5. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I keep the card backs and instructions, display the figure, and throw away the rest. I do keep sealed copies of some of the great figures though.

6. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Unless theres something you particularly like about the packaging, throw it. If you're worried about affecting their resale value, I wouldn't worry about it. I've never heard of a collector that only buys a second hand deluxe if it has the original card and bubble (though i'm sure they exist somewhere!). In my experience, if people specifically want blister packaged figures, they'll want them sealed. Also, loose figs can sometimes appeal more to collectors because they can actually fiddle with them.

If anything, trying to resell an opened figure with its card/bubble could put people off due to the cost/weight of extra materials required to ship it safely.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Actually, I am one of those people! I'd always rather have the packaging than not, as I like the way they display.

I always keep all the packaging to all my figures. If I ever decide to sell them on, display them MOC or just for ease of transport if I'm moving house (which i will be doing soon), it just makes sense to me for my own reasons.

8. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I did that for the first wave and it was just ridiculous. Now I just slice them open and keep the cards and instructions.

9. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I keep the bubbles because I can see myself selling my figures down the years to come. I just want to finish my Chug/United/RTS line and I am done. Lets say I like to sell almost like new.

10. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I voted to toss the bubbles mainly because I just did that to all my deluxes last week. I needed to reduce the space that packaging takes up in my closet. It felt strange at first, as I had packages dating back to armada, but feels fine now.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I dunno, I just toss everything except the instructions on deluxes. I mean, once you open them, you can't really put it back.

Takara's releases are different, or at least they were the last time I bought a Takara deluxe, where the bubble is slid onto the card rather than glued on, meaning you CAN put it back into the package. Those I keep. Then again, I only have like ONE Takara deluxe...

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a sealed collection then buy ones to open. The ones i open i generally keep only the instr and the figure itself. Sometimes i'll keep the boxes/bubbles if its rare figures to offer in my trade thread.

Figures seem to resell higher if you have the packaging. If you ever feel that you may sell them then you may want to think about keeping the bubbles. Otherwise there really isnt any reason to store them and a stack of card backs will store easier.

13. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Yeah, I pretty much agree, and I don't plan on selling them either. I also don't see a deluxe CHUG figure w/card having any more or less value later if someone is selling with the bubble because it is an EXTERNAL bubble, not an internal one like most US G1 stuff (save for carded small guys). Also, I HATE when people "cut" the bubble, come on, either take it off or leave it sealed.

For my G1 stuff, I am a loose collector, because I find that I can get mint condition toys that are still able to be played with, rather than unused ones that feel like their joints have been loc-tited and you think you will break them. For the large G1 guys or anything that came with foam, I like having the boxes and foam, all my autobot cars have boxes (I don't do bubbles at all), a few other "cool" figures I have boxes only for and the rest are all loose. I was trying to use this as a base for the CHUG stuff, and that is when I started debating on the new bubbles. Honestly, if the damn things weren't so thick and stacked better, I probably would just keep them. Right now I just can't stand them though.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I usually throw teh packaging out, but when I do (like for BW figs) I just don't open the bubble all the way. I open it enough to squeeze the tray out, and when I'm done I put the insert back in if I never need to store the figure. That way it keeps itself closed and I can stack them tetris-style.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Up to about a year ago I used to keep the bubble attached to the cardback,but that got to spacey so I trashed the bubbles and just kept the cardbacks and paper inserts.now they don't take up a tenth of the space.

16. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seconded. So many lines now feature mostly Deluxes and it sounds like the same will be true for Transformers Prime. I guess it comes down to the amount of space you have and the amount of money you might be willing to spend on storage. I am considering moving up to a larger space to clear out some of the boxes.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I tend to keep the bubble for a couple of weeks just in case I discover a fault on the figure and need to return it, but after that I bin it. Then just keep the backing card and the instructions.

18. ki1983ng

ki1983ng Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep everything until today, which I decided to cut the bubbles off the cards for Generations WFC characters. My collection is taking up too much space in my room, will probably move onto either comic-based characters like Straxus/Drift or those which I have the United versions.

19. mynamehere

mynamehere Well-Known Member

I keep sealed usually. I'll open some if I'm low on storage space, or if figure is too tempting. If opened, I toss the packaging.

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Um. I stacked my MISB generations bubble cards. You have to criss cross them a couple different ways to make it sturdy. But it works.