Minor/Repaint: CHUG-ish Rad

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by glaug, Jun 27, 2012.

1. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

CHUG-ish Rad - AKA Kaneda's bike from Akira...

So, I think this is now my third ongoing WIP thread... The truth is, I start these guys while I'm waiting for resin to cure, paint to dry, parts to arrive, etc etc on other projects. So I started on the Rad I knew I had to make once I got a cheap Animated Prowl, and realised how similar Rad's head was to Jackpot's...

[​IMG]

I know Animated stuff is very stylised, but I think the head and hands make a huge difference, and with some paint will bring things into line okay. His neck looks way longer in photos than in person, too, due to the windshield.

[​IMG]

Cut out a lot of parts here in order to make the new head fit, as well as sending the hell out of the back of the head. Worth it though, he looks a lot less like Jackpot for it, too.

[​IMG]

Feeling chuffed with myself here for the hand mod. That dashing rogue Zerokaiser85 supplied the hands from some poor CHUG toy, and they're pinned into the slot that the front part of the arm hinge went into. The new hinge is made from ABS Gundam kit sprue, and is a nice snug fit in the holes drilled in the hands.

But wait... Rad turns into a bike.

A red bike.

A red Sci-fi bike.

You can see where this is going.

[​IMG]

My replacement decals for Jackpot also arrived today, and I'm out for the night, so it's a race to see who gets finished, now! I just need to tidy up the flaws in the cast of Rad's head and fill in the chevrons on the arms and he's ready for paint.

Attached Files:

2. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Looking great so far!

3. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Are you gonna make Lionizer?

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    More awesomeness, looking foward to the finish.

5. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Lookin' good.:) 

6. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Akira bike.......this is gonna be effing sweet!

7. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Planning on making Lionizer, yes :)  Jackpot got Sights, after all.

8. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great so far. What's that head from?

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I didn't realize that Rad was supposed to be a motorbike... but I like the idea of using this mold. :thumb 

However, I'm assuming that you won't be going all out with the alt mode, since I think you'd have to do some heavy mods on the wheels to get Kaneda's Bike, and I'm not sure if that would still work with his transformation.

zmog

10. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :) 

Head is from here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/611976-classics-jackpot-wip.html
    It's a cast of the one I modified for Jackpot, further modified to fit into the gas tank area on Prowl okay, with some details resculpted. I DO have another head I might try, but need to see how the cast comes out first.

I don't plan any major mods for the alt mode... I DID briefly consider getting a second Prowl and making sure that the legs had both sides "closed", but I'm not sure how well that would work out and I don't have a lot of money to throw around right now. I certainly won't be going for a full replica in bike mode, it would be extremely hard to pull off the way I like. I just thought it;d be fun to homage the more famous red sci-fi bike. :) 

Annoyingly? On Kaneda's bike, the rear wheel is only attached on one side in a way that looks a lot like Prowl's... unfortunately, it's the WRONG side for this mould, and trying to fix that becomes a long, slippery slope! Probably more trouble than it's worth to mod the "hubcaps" to be more round, too.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Right, left... who cares? Just flip all your pics in photoshop before you post them. ;) 

zmog