CHUG Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scaleface, Feb 22, 2012.

1. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Thanks! Big Grim' is towards the bottom of my wishlist right now, but if a 3P figure is released that decently captures both his robot and beast mode from the IDW comics that might bump him up.

Thanks! It does feel great mixing figures from various lines and still feeling a sense that the grouping works. Here's to another quest comic in whatever TF comics are to come! And speaking of the spoiler, another user on reddit let me know about it too, and I finally read it myself just today. I may redo the display over the weekend...

• Like Like x 2
  2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    wfc possibly the best megatron we have got so far lol his only issue is size

• Like Like x 1
  3. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  4. batfan007

News Credits:
    heck, either of the existing generations Grims (FOC and POTP) go great in a chug line up, i have both (as well as like a dozen other grims including the mp) and either later CHUG one goes great in there :D  That previous chug one is cool and I have that one too. The more the merrier.

HIM KING!

[​IMG]

While I'm here..... some diff angles :D :D :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    • Like Like x 5
  5. transfan32

transfan32 Grinding my teeth.....

Skullcruncher, I think, is a little underrated.
    18FA53A0-5F24-41E9-AA75-71F55BB377C9.jpeg
    Being one of 2 of the first TR figures I got (same time as Hardhead), Skullcruncher is an interesting oddfellow. Definitely the most simplistic of the 3 updated G1 Decepticon large headmasters, he did suffer some design and QC issues that some collectors took note of. He was a bit of a floppy mess with those loose hips that plagued many copies of the figure. The proportions were a tad awkward but not overly, but I think his biggest problem was the way his feet/legs were designed. The back portions of the legs in bot mode were very hollow. The hind croc legs I feel were intended to act as heel spurs, but they don’t really sit flush with the rest of the bot foot, so not very helpful. That combined with the loose hips made posing him a nightmare. Thank goodness for floor polish.
    E0AA0CD5-11BE-4D2E-80DF-A0038502953B.jpeg
    565EDA77-64C6-482E-8606-C2A31763ED02.jpeg
    Dabbing some ‘liquid luck’ on those ball joints worked wonders for the figure. One of the things that I began to embrace with the start of this line was the art of customization, mostly minor but still customizing. With the help of these forums I started to realize I no longer had to be beholden to the official design. I could ‘fix’ my toys up any way I wanted without sacrificing that G1 aesthetic or spirit. So a little floor polish, a few chrome highlights, and now Skullcruncher is an extremely poseable badass.
    5093969F-CA79-471D-A3D2-5668335BD824.jpeg
    The colors are crazy but so were the G1 toy and they work for the character. I do love this particular shade of metallic green. His weapons are very unusually interesting, especially that melee club/tail of his. But those work for him too. Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf, and Mindwipe are 3 of my favorite beast formers in my collection. Speaking of beast forms.......
    B4A71138-1C1D-4D9D-860F-2531567DEA98.jpeg
    Most of Skullcruncher’s issues were in bot mode. In beast mode, he was pretty much the best iteration of a crocodile in all the Transformers lines. I love how his weapons store as the tail which could swivel left to right. The crocodile head is awesome and is on a ball joint so it’s great for posing in certain attack positions with jaws wide open. The hind legs don’t do much in this mode either, but the forelegs being on mushroom pegs and swivels has some articulation options. But like most crocodiles, Skullcruncher still works as an intimidating lump on the ground.
    6A580C49-EFAD-4208-A854-C58C95EE36AF.jpeg
    2A6C4F00-2D1A-4F3E-A7D4-39F391A96F17.jpeg
    All Skullcruncher needed was a little sprucing up to be enjoyable. Thanks to a little customizing, it’s a lot more fun now to play with him in robot mode. Discovering new ways to play with your toys is always fun, especially when you enjoy your hobby and find new ways to expand on that hobby. Skullcruncher surprisingly is the bot that helped me realize that. I just wish he’d quit snapping at me though. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 9
  6. transfan32

I don’t know why I’m fascinated by this figure. I never had the G1 version, but I know what the G1 version was supposed to be. When this figure was introduced in the CW line, I heard and read some collectors were eagerly anticipating it. But when I was watching reviews of this figure in hand, that anticipation turned to disappointment. Not utter outrage, just disappointment. It’s not a figure that normally wouldn’t have been thought of to use for Combiner purposes, but we have it for that purpose nonetheless. If you haven’t figured it out yet, it’s CW Sky Lynx!
    D5677AEF-7C0E-4E7D-AD80-1D0A5352F582.jpeg
    AD35759C-7C37-473A-8DE4-E1B1E06B1B0D.jpeg
    Doing the hind foot modification forced me to alter the alt mode a bit. But throw some chrome in the mix and it looks like Lynx has some wing flaps with running lights. And........
    A6813CEC-DFA9-49FF-B7FA-D1304593B7FE.jpeg
    A launch position!!! Too bad there’s no launching pad for him, maybe someday.
    73D5FC69-8748-4685-BBCE-A235084C8977.jpeg
    EEFD9DF2-C3E2-4FF0-B294-A59A1D52BB22.jpeg
    Very unique and fun,this iteration of Sky Lynx is a bit of an odd duck. I never owned the G1 toy so I didn’t really have any expectations of the CW version. I know some fans were upset that he couldn’t separate into his binary alt modes. I still really liked the Sphinx mode. And come to find out from another source, the Combiner gimmick actually was useful for other purposes. The engineering allowed me to preview these here for you,
    4A1E825B-BA60-4292-915C-0BF1BF75A572.jpeg
    72066329-56B8-45DC-BF8B-0B83D105CC39.jpeg
    More pics in the fan modes thread but Sky Lynx is one of my guilty pleasure Transformers. Yeah the G1 version was bigger and louder and could split into two big alt modes, but I still feel it’s smaller counterpart here is a lot more versatile and I love it. Enjoy!
    5D46E8DA-F2A0-47CF-A892-CE88557C62D2.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  7. Tenebre

Tenebre Horrorcon

I've always loved Sky Lynx. He was just such an unique looking character. The CW version is kind of underrated, but it didn't need the combiner gimmick and should have been Leader class. I'm planning on getting the MMC version for a proper CHUG update, since it's unlikely Hasbro will do an updated version any time soon.

• Like Like x 4
  8. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    What a difference that a decade makes for combiner design!

20181110_071423.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. levyshahar

levyshahar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Scavengers, as complete as they’ll probably be

[​IMG]

Also, tried to recreate this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  11. batfan007

News Credits:
    If they had made it leader size/price then I would just pass it up in favor of the actual (reissue) Sky Lynx which is a much better toy (and only a smidgen more in $). Only reason I picked up CW one was for the combiner torso as it was a unique molding and looks really cool.
    He's not bad in his alt mode, but he's not what I would call good either with so many compromises and floppy parts. He looks decent, some nice engineering - but that's about it. He should have been better. With the quality floppy in the CW line, I doubt a four legged leader would have even been able to stand up. :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  12. batfan007

News Credits:
    Eventually this lot will migrate into different spots, but for now they have to play together.
    Or slaughter each other mercilessly. Both good options. :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 4:39 AM
    • Like Like x 6
  13. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Nice group shots! I'm hoping that I can be halfway to completing these 'Cons by the end of the year. When Flywheels ends up in my collection I'll try adding combiner HFGs to beef up his height.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO he’s better than siege megatron
    Only need the FireFair feet and he’s perfect
    CC10F898-B052-4A8D-8A6B-6DFAD3400FCF.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  15. DocSeth81

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

not a fan of this pic
    [​IMG]

Sometimes Nightbeat just wants to go to Sears
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. transfan32

The Chaos Bringer Cometh.....
    48626BAF-8A41-4DCC-A56F-D42D258A2E31.jpeg
    The planet that destroys everything in its path. Ever since his introduction in the animated movie, Unicron was the ultimate evil of the Transformers universe. And ever since his introduction, many collectors were itching for a proper toy for the Chaos Bringer. There was a failed prototype attempted soon after the movie. It wasn’t until the Transformers Armada line, part of the Unicron Trilogy, that we got a really awesome, fairly accurate, and huge version of the Brother of Primus.
    4A8EEE15-847C-4104-A6A1-E1F7BFA65F10.jpeg
    For the most part, an extremely well designed and engineered toy. The color scheme is excellent, the molded detailing in the purple translucent planet surface panels is really good, and the planet ring system is genius. I didn’t take pictures, but the major flaw in all of this is that what you see in the front doesn’t carry over to the back. That’s where the robot legs fold up and are used as the base to display the figure. And as genius as the ring is, it does not allow Unicron to display properly from the front. You’d either have to lay him flat on his back or have a tilt support for him to sort of sit up straight. There have been a couple third party offerings to use as stands, but they are either unstable and flimsy or no longer offered and hard to find on the aftermarket. I would’ve loved to get the Throne of Chaos, that seemed the most adequate support for Unicron. I’m sure some fans have come up with their own homemade solutions but I have yet to do so. Now I mentioned this figure was released in the Armada series, but I’m posting in this thread because I actually got him from the Universe Toys’r’Us exclusive.
    09A07073-4540-4681-A2EB-393495371320.jpeg
    I did keep the box, a bit worse for wear and I don’t have the plastic insert anymore, but it’s still a serviceable storage solution. Until I can come up with a display base for him, my Unicron will stay in the box. At least it’s nice to look at.
    9A7E679A-64D9-481F-A3F6-3FBB6A9EFBD1.jpeg
    His planet mode is iconic, but Unicron’s robot mode is one of the most imposing figures ever.
    4B508CBD-8A34-47F9-8985-D97BA63C7A1D.jpeg
    It’s a bit fiddly the way the surface panels and ringwings are connected and have to be positioned, but that is one badass, evil looking robot monster. The transformation itself is actually fairly simple, but his size makes it feel more complex. He’s proportioned really well and has really good joints and ratchets to hold him up. He does have play features that are activated by his mini-con companion, but I seem to have currently misplaced my copy so I couldn’t show those off. You can see the missile pods in his legs though here.
    A080B0C2-935A-4866-AD93-CB23B59421C7.jpeg
    EF2E2674-CDD2-4B40-A56B-516EAC4E84E5.jpeg
    There’s also a cannon behind his chest panels. You can make out the missile behind the translucent panels. His abs and shin panels are also storage compartments for mini-cons or other little bots.
    DBA85AB7-0E45-4AD3-A618-15973648B603.jpeg
    Unicron can be somewhat poseable. His bulk does make it a bit awkward, but for a figure of this size, he’s got very decent articulation. The arms could do a 360, in and out movement in his shoulder/biceps, good bend at the elbow, hand swivels with individual finger hinges to make a fist, waist swivel, ratcheted back and forth motion in the hips and side to side, ratcheted knees, and a big toe swivel. But even with all that, Unicron is just so massive it makes it tricky to pose him. The only part that’s not really articulated is his head, but the reason for that is it hides another play feature that I can show off.
    F03F98D9-7E5D-44BA-A89C-7FB2AE5A4A82.jpeg
    EVIL EYES OF DOOM!!! There’s a sensor in his neck that hooks into the base activating a light up feature in his eyes. There’s also a light sensor in his RIGHT HAND OF DOOM!!! That’s also why that particular hand is translucent and his left one is opaque (I know, duh). But definitely a nice touch to the ultimate evil. Unicron is a worthy menace to the universe and this version of the toy is an excellent representation of the character. I have yet to procure a Primus figure, so until then Chaos Shall Reign!!!

• Like Like x 9
  17. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Not a laser, nothing to see here

Which Megs is this plese Reximus?

18. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    third party figure
    toyworld hegemony

19. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Rodimus Prime is reunited with his (well, Hot Rod's, but same difference as far as I'm concerned) Targetmaster partner as Battlemaster Firedrive, and the Autobot Micromasters!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. DocSeth81

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2