CHUG and the IDW comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscream 91, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I was just thinking on this after seeing people discuss the current IDW comics in the News/Rumors thread. And I've just now realized how much IDW has influenced and made its presence loud and clear in the Transformers community.

I never really read much of the IDW comics sure I read a few like All Hail Megatron and all those pack in comics with Combiner Wars & Thrilling 30 but I never really got into them, so I have no real connection to them. People talk about Chromedome and Rewind being a couple, to me Chromedome serves under Fortress Maximus while Rewind serves as one of Blaster's cassettes they have no connection what so ever! People bring up Megatron turning to the Autobots, to me he is the tyrannical leader of the Decepticons. I am a fan of the G1 cartoon, its what got me into G1 back in 2007, since then I've grown to love the Headmasters anime and the Wings Universe that Fun Pub has created. And I've even come to appreciate the Marvel comics themselves after getting two volumes of the IDW re-releases.

Yet when I look at my CHUG shelf I see characters that I have no idea their personality or who they are. Heck the same can be said of characters I've seen on G1! In order to have a Swerve, Tailgate, or Skids on my CHUG shelf I ended up having versions that are total IDW! At least guys like CW Ultra Magnus I can find loop holes around.
    And sure, after watching RID & Combiner Wars I get a sense of who Windblade is and I find ways to include the Pretenders, Headmaster Jrs, etc into my G1 canon.
    But characters like the Rust Renegades, Alpha Bravo, Offroad, Rook, and Minicon Assault Team who must of appeared in the IDW comics I know nothing about them. But thinking on it I guess that doesn't matter! I can just kind of find a way to fit them into my G1 cartoon canon and give them whatever personality!

I guess I brought this up cause I've seen some people build their CHUG collections or Transformer collecting in general around IDW. Yet when I look at mine I see it as an attempt to recreate the G1 cartoon I've watched countless times for the past nine years while also branching off and attempting to expand the G1 cartoon canon.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I don't think you're asking a direct question, so its kinda hard to reply to this thread because I'm unsure what you are trying to say (other then how you look at the characters and figures).

I grew up on G1. I'm hardcore G1. The CHUG figures represent G1. I also really enjoy the IDW-verse. So... at least for me, right now IDW is kinda "overtaking" G1. It's like G1 and IDW are separate and joined. IDW Ultra Magnus is much more interesting then G1 Ultra Magnus. But at the same time, the voice acting and mannerisms from the Season 1 and 2 cast are so strong in my mind. But at the same time, IDW Megatron is much more interesting then cackling G1 Megatron.

So in conclusion... enjoy the franchise. :) 

3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Sorry I guess this was more of a reflection.

But I guess if I had to ask a question it would be is if peoples collections, especially falling in the CHUG realm, if its more based on the G1 cartoon and/or Marvel comics. Or if they are more influenced by the IDW comics and as such their CHUG collection is more IDW based.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Idw is just a different version of G1 like marvel G1 or Sunbow G1. Same characters, different paths.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I do. IDW doesn't really factor in...anywhere, really. Swerve is Swerve, a metallurgist who doesn't do much beyond what I did with him back when I played with the original as a kid. He interacted, he scienced and fought in battles as best he could when his part of the Autobot base would come under attack (it always eventually did).

6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Not really. It's a different version of Transformers...like Marvel G1, Animated or RiD. Same characters, different personalities, different paths. No one would mistake half of the IDW characters for their G1 counterparts if they were well-versed. Yeah, Starscream is Starscream, Optimus is Optimus, etc....but you can say that to varying degrees across many non-G1 universes.

7. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yes really. IDW is a G1 universe. Marvel G1 is a G1 universe. Sunbow is a G1 universe. Animated, RiD, AEC are non-G1 universe.

Even Hasbro recognizes this. IDW versions of G1 characters appear in Generations. Generations is the "re-imagined" G1 toyline.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    People moan about IDW ruining CHUG but as far as I can tell there's never been a CHUG toy that 100% accurately represented a G1 cartoon version of a character.

If anything IDW have used upcoming toys in their comics from time to time, possibly even before a toy was released so they seemed IDW based when actually they aren't.

Very few toys are 100% IDW focused and even then you can make them whoever you want.

Now where's my updated Ladybird G1 continuity figures? Lazy Hasbro, Lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I have a main Sunbow based fanfic collection and a few others including an SG/Marvel collection, my IDW stuff is all over the place: Skids, UM, Swerve etc all look the part of their Sunbow versions more than enough to me to include them in my main collection.
    Meanwhile i have bought Takara exclusive Deadlock and MMC Comotus who are waiting for a RID Gigatron to form a EOS mini IDW collection and MMC Spartan is waiting for TR Overlord for a mini collection and am collecting their DJD, and i have a few minicon teams, FOC SHockwave, Dreadwind and Henkei Galvatron for a DC minicollection.

And i agree, some people make a whole ado about figures being IDW.
    In reality its as it has always been: Has/Tak design toys and the current partner for the fiction is told to incorporate the designs into the comics.
    Few chug designs are comic original.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Except Rhinox, Rattrap, Waspinator, Armada Megatron, SkyByte, Tankor and several others disagree with you.

Seriously, it might have started out as a new attempt at G1...but it ceased to be that quite some time ago. As someone has said, it's more of a Marvel Ultimates version...in which no one would say was in the family of the original characters. It's its own thing. Shoehorning it into a "G1 family" is actually more of a hindrance than anything at this point.

11. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I dunno, I kinda like both. I liked CHUG for what it was, but the more IDW crept along and got better the more I almost like to think of IDW as the main fiction right now and these toys are supporting it. Like, I missed out on a lot of CHUG, and right now I really only want to fill in stuff that supports a Lost Light display while I focus on my MP collection otherwise. I think it's up to personal preference, and while CHUG was deffo supposed to be Generation 3 for a while, I think it's entwined enough with the IDW toys that I personally consider the recent stuff more of an IDW toyline and less of a straight G1 reboot like it was for a while. But maybe I'm just reaching.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think comparing it to marvels ultimate universe is probably the best comparison

13. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I wouldn't have started my CHUGetc. collection were it not for IDW's TF comics. There are a few deviations in there like LG Slipstream and Computron, but otherwise every single TF in my collection has appeared somewhere in those comics over the years.
    I wasn't even thinking of starting a bigger collection beyond my Prime collection originally, and then the Thrilling 30 stuff started being revealed and I was so goddamn stoked to see the likes of Springer, Skids, Swerve, Trailbreaker and Tailgate with designs that were obvious nods to their IDW selves.

The focus of my collection since getting T30 Deluxe Trailbreaker and Megatron back in 2013 has been to get as much of the main cast of IDW as possible, and some of the more incidental ones too.
    One thing I like about the way IDW has become it's own thing is the different characters it draws on from different continuities and how much more varied it makes my shelves look, and I think it's an interesting way to collect because I'm not just beholden to G1 guys which sometimes means branching out beyond CHUG stuff as well.
    I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IDW is absolutely G1 at the core. It's not a different continuity family like RID, AEC, Movie, Animated, Prime... It's G1 with a lot of stuff from the other families blended in.

G1+

Though probably any character introduced into G1 retroactively after G1 ended could fit into G1+ as well, such as Road Rage, Crosscut, Clampdown, Deepcover, Tigertrack, etc. as well as Glyph, Tap-Out, and Rook, not to mention ones introduced into Classics like Heavy Load and Dropshot. Even to this day, we have Alpha Bravo, Ofroad, and co.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but...I don't see it. It used G1 as a base starting point but then went out into left field, climbed over the fence and left the stadium.

Which could also be said of Aligned...and yet Aligned is not considered G1 family. Same with Animated.

Again, it may have started in G1 continuity family. But it has effectively worked itself out of it...which is a good thing and should be embraced, IMO.

16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

I tend to see IDW as it's own Continuity loosely based on G1 in the same way something like Galaxy Force was.
    It's to different to be even a close associate to G1 like Kiss Players or Alternity for me.
    It may even be more different than The continuity family that spun off FOC/WFC & Prime was/is.

But yes IDW doesn't enter my head when looking at Titans Returns Chromedome - if I wanted such a Chromedome that is what the Botcon one is for. Besides having Chromedome be in a couple with another male robot is a non-sequiter for me as he was Arcee's Boyfriend in Japanese G1 and is part of an argument about Robo-gender i'd really rather not have.

I'm leaning towards the cartoon when it comes to Titans Returns as Fort Max is huge as he is in the cartoon & not modest sized like in some comics.
    I don't pay a lot of attention to what Hasbro wants to sell me with regard to Skids, Crosscut, or Perceptor, Blurr or Blaster - I'm going to be all G1 there. Likewise I don't pay a blind bit of notice as to if someone is dead or not in the media product when it comes to the toys.

It's great for those who are firm embedded in IDW that they have the option to see Tankor, or Rhinox or Rattrap another way if they wanted too, I think the reason I don't pay a lot of attention to IDW is in part down to how often they changed Bumblebee's alt mode whenever they changed the artist - I found that really distracting.

But know IDW has not earned it's G1 Badge it's fairer to both sides to see it like the Marvel Ultimate Universe -that I can agree with, but when people say it is G1 - I have to fight off listing the hundreds of ways how it's unlike it - or how it's like WFC/FOC or like Aligned or even Armada.
    Keep it separate those who enjoy it can continue to enjoy it and those who really are not interested won't feel quite to brow beaten for not being so interested as other might wish them to be.

For me that Comic is very much INSPIRED BY G1 not actually G1. regardless what the original intention was it's drifted a lot now - speaking to Mr. James Roberts once I asked him about it and he said he was totally fine with people seeing it as another Universe and I hope that means he therefore didn't intend for it to be seen a a Replacement for early version of the franchise - just another take on the same ideas using some of the same characters, while borrowing a few others too - that is another way where it feels not unlike the Ultimate Universe to me.

I'm not slagging it off - But I really can't factor it into my thinking at all when I think of G1 - IDW comes up as it's own thing 'IDW' not a version of G1 regardless of how it may be seen or sold to use at times.

17. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    If you're not reading the comics, it's probably easy to attribute more in the Generations toyline to have being "caused" by IDW than it really is.

In general, the comics are adding in elements from the toyline, and not the other way. I know some people "blame" the comics for Alpha Bravo existing over Slingshot, but that was just as forced in the comics too. Rook is probably an even better example, as he looks like he was literally drawn onto the page at the last minute because Hasbro said so.

Now that's not to say there are not toys made from comic designs or concepts. Generations Skids is very much IDW Skids. Same for Swerve. Minimus Ambus (and Drift before him) are comic-original characters given a toy after the fact. Megatron being packed with Autobot stickers as an option is due to the comics.

I guess I'm just trying to say that it goes both ways, and the "changes to G1" that Hasbro chooses are often forced into the comics more so than IDW ever coming close to "forcing" the toyline to change.

• Like Like x 1
  18. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

As someone who only recently started collecting, for me, IDW is my G1. I remember watching a few episodes of the TV show as a kid, and I had a handful of figures from back then, but it was never really a passion. I always thought the toys were cool, but I never really wanted them as more than something to play with.

Now that I'm grown up and have some expendable income, I bought my first 1 or 2 to have something to fiddle with on my desk at work. As a HUGE comics geek, the Transformers Humble Bundles gave me a perfect place to get into the comics - and that just reinforced the collecting aspect for me. Now with an actual relatable story to go along with the figures, it was more than just something to play with.

So yeah, I'm all IDW, although I will always appreciate what the TV series was, and everything it spawned.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah...I agree with you. That's the same impression I have.

I grew up with the original Marvel US and UK comics so when IDW started its original run, I was so excited...then things got overly complicated.

Then when IDW did a 'soft' reboot, things look promising but eventually the series lost its appeal to me.

I know some folks say that the current CHUG line doesn't follow IDW's designs 100% but I disagree - the CHUG line in the last few years have been inspired by IDW. Example, Ultra Magnus, Trail breaker, Skids etc.

Some say that its Hasbro who dictate the toy designs. Whatever the case, the CHUG TFs are mostly filled with IDW based designs.

When the CHUG line started I wanted modernized versions of the G1 series. 2009 was a great year for me in that sense. Hasbro gave us Jazz, Tracks, Wheeljack etc.

Now the CHUG line seems like a mish mash of sorts. I guess that's why I turned to 3P stuff.

20. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Honestly, I just sort of blend G1 and IDW inspired Classics/Universe/Generations figures together. The IDW-inspired designs still look very G1, and I'm not really picky with my figures, so I have no problem just putting them together. Generations updates of Beast Wars and Armada characters just get thrown in with the rest of my Beast Era and Unicron Trilogy figures, because honestly? I see them as updates of those characters from G1 and Beast Wars and etc. As for IDW originals? I have Windblade with my updated G1 Autobots, and the same will go for any others from now on.