Chrysler+GM=together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.H.N, Oct 22, 2008.

1. J.H.N

J.H.N the HARSH one

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

wow...... that would be interesting

3. BJT!

BJT! Well-Known Member

Did read the story, but I've kinda been following up on that. I was under the assumption that Renault-Nissan was going to be taking over Chrysler. Guess they would rather deal with domestic companies? Still interesting news.

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

They should merge with Ford.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have driven Chryslers most of my life, but now I drive a Ford F-150 and a Lincoln Town Car and I am still a Mopar fan. I wanted a Dodge truck, but could'nt afford one. But if GM and Chrysler merges, does it mean parts will fit both GM and Chrysler models? I can't imagine a Corvette and Viper being own by the same company. But last year, I've read 2011 might be the last year for the Viper.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

They came from Ford back in the 1900s

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm a Dodge guy, always have been, I've owned tons of Dodges over the years and loved them all, I can only hope they keep the banner alive under the GM badge and keep the same design teams.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

There was some talk in '05 about it, but it was never serious.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This will change NASCAR and I heard that Ford & GM were in talks to merge first but, Ford said they would rather stand on their own feet. Chrysler has been in trouble for a while now they need this.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting, but I hope this doesn't have any negative affects on Jeep.

I'd honestly be happy if Ford were to just disappear forever.

11. Jux

The two big gains GM would get out of this is the Jeep brand and access to Chrysler's Minivans and factories for them. My company would benefit from this, but a lot of employees would be out of jobs. GM would close down a few of their plants, close a lot of Chrysler areas, probably clear out their Auburn Hills HQ. The UAW is said to be opposed to the move while privately trying to figure out how to maximize their gains. I see it happening if GM can get enough capital to pay all of the severance/buyouts.

12. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Uh. No.

13. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

If it could ring truth to home here in the USA, it would be great if the mindset of the company's are to carry on a legacy, and produce a very well made vehicle with two industries merging together to give us a new platform and technology and outlook on how Domestic vehicles should be assembled, and made with pride. If not to help our vehicle build success, and dependability status on Import vs. Domestic. I hope just not to swallow an industry and rename it as another Buick.

Cause you all know where that import viewpoint is:

"V-tak ftw! OMG" -320 :dunce 

Ya I read youtube comments.

Why not, yes I also echo the feeling of Ford should vanish. But many of my vehicles have been Ford's. I have no complaints with them. Although to me at least I think they are hoping on Fleet sales and Truck division is keeping them afloat. I have much respect for the old stang/tbird turbo 2.3 yamaha SHO, the 302, and the Duratec.

Used Jaguars are cheap these days.

14. BJT!

BJT! Well-Known Member

FTL. I hate that stuff. lol

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think ford is pretty lame; i wouldn't be sad to see them disappear. i drove a Focus for a week. it was not too bad. but it's no Toyota.

also, no more Viper? that's my favorite car :( 

16. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Too true. Toyota has one heck of an engine in that 2gr-fe v6 w 280hp.

Even in that barge the Avalon it is very nice with around 29mpg hwy.

17. Jux

Mergers of this nature aren't very likely to make the brands disappear. Jeep and Dodge are both very valuable brand names. What is more likely to change is which models are made, and where.

If GM acquires Chrysler, they may find it better not to build a Viper. The total costs of building them might not justify total sales in a down economy, especially when they're already putting out Corvettes with more power.

*edit: Chrysler has been looking for buyers of the Viper brand. In 2007, they sold only 435 models. In that same year, GM sold 33K Corvettes. Although most models don't have near the power of the Viper, why spend so much money to sell 500 cars a year?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    FORD = "Fucked. On. Race. Day." ??

19. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    interesting! oh well, im sure if i really wanted one, regardless, i could get one. even if they aren't in production, someone's always selling a Viper somewhere.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Ford is the quintessential American car company and I for one would be sad to see them go, no matter how many smug Prius owners giggled in delight.

That said, the American car companies would not be in trouble if somebody competent was running them.

1. Build distinctive cars that people might actually want to drive. If Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Toyota are indistinguishable from each other...I will FLIP A COIN or STAY HOME. You finally caught up to the Japanese on mileage, only after forfeiting any stake in the sub-$30K sports car market?!

Note to Chevy: Take notes from the Mustang and Challenger. Or even John Delorean (wishful thinking). So if the Monte Carlo comes back, it should be a real Monte Carlo (80s style) instead of a renamed Lumina or Malibu.

Note to Chrysler: I didn't visit any Chrysler lots in 2006 because your entire lineup sucked.

2. Learn how more affordable cars equate to higher sales. Chevy sells (according to Jux) 70 times as many Corvettes and Dodge sells Vipers because they cost a little over half as much. And if they ever actually release the new Camaro and it's competitive, they'll sell 70 times as many of them as they do Corvettes.

Note to Ford: Don't screw up what you have going with the Mustang.

3. Understand simple economics, such as the relationship between gas prices and truck sales. You've had three long years to rebalance in favor of your car models. The entire board of directors should be fired before a single union layoff is even considered.

Note to Pontiac: Improve your worst selling model (everything) before dropping your best selling model (Grand Am).