Chrono Trigger version?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Dec 22, 2008.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I've never played it. Which version should I take for a spin, the SNES, or the PSOne version? Graphics aren't as important to me, unless there's a significant difference in the games because of it (like with the release of KH: CoM on PS2 compated to the GBA version). Thoughts/opinions?

Edit: Nevermind, I guess, I just saw this thread from last year (actually, EXACTLY a year ago, how odd...) that asked and answered the same question.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/160737-what-version-chrono-trigger-best.html

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I'm digging the DS version right now.

3. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ala, DS isn't an option for me. :( 

4. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

SNES is best if you can find it. PS One is alright, but not the best port in the world, only new stuff is a couple animated cutscenes. i can't wait till christmas to play my DS version(just got it in the mail today:D )

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

DS, but since you can't dig that one, SNES. PSOne version is slow as bloody hell.

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

snes if you can't get the ds one. avoid the psx one... in fact, avoid all of those square snes psx ports except for ff4. ff4 is the only one without abysmal load times. it's a shame too, because the fmv scenes are great, but there's always youtube for that. if the ds version could be possibly an option in the near future then i'd recommend that one most of all. i'm running through new game+ on it now and it's great.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yup, everyone is right so far. DS is the best, followed by the SNES version. If the PSOne is your only option, its still playable, but the horrible load times between battles make it the weakest of the three.

8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

As far as IV, I'd say GBA if you can't grab the DS. Bonus dungeons ftw!

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    DS is pretty definitive with lots of nice bonuses, but apart from that, the SNES version beats the PS1 port. You miss out on the anime cutscenes but that's what YouTube is for, plus the load times for each battle is intolerable. One of the best features to Chrono Trigger's encounter system is the fast, on the spot pace, which the Playstation version kills.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

yeah, i'd pick gba over psx too, but of all those psx ports only 4 was really playable without frustration.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get whichever copy of that game you can. It's an amazing game. The PSX load times aren't as bad as people are saying. They are only bad compared to themselves (In other words, compared to the cartridge version). As a PSX game, they are no more or less than a FF7-12 battle loading while fancy camera pans hide the load time. I played through the whole thing and it's fine. It's also fine knowing that you won't lose your save so easily like I did when my CT was stolen back in college. I've been porting my PS1 CT save over from the day I got it, to my PS3, so I can still pop it in and play it now from where I left off... doing the same with Chrono Cross.

And to be honest, I would still recommend the SNES version over the DS, because despite the game being old, it still looks better on a screen bigger than 3 inches.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

the load times aren't just there for the battles though, the load time is also there every time you access the menu. the menu load times just killed it for me.

13. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    hmm, I'll probably go GBA or SNES then. Thanks for all the info!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly like a lot of PSX games. It was the time period (A lot of RPGs had horrible load times), and it wasn't just present for Chrono.

But yeah, if you have access to the SNES one, I'd go with that. I'll suffer the load times to avoid peering at the wonderful 2D art of that game with a magnifying glass.

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I see your point, and I agree it by no means makes the game unplayable, but

1) Most RPGs that suffer from those load times (like FFVII in your example) are 3D and have an excuse, and
    2) There are other versions that don't have those issues, making them better choices.

I have the PSX version, and I loved it and was thankful for it. But in the end, it probably could have been a bit smoother. I think the DS is the definitive version, as it takes all the bonus goodies from the PSX version, adds in some original content, and has none of the issues. I think the smaller aspect of the DS version is forgivable when you combine it with portability.

But in the end, no one is really right or wrong, it just boils down to preference. Luckily, you have several choices here, which is far more than many games from that era give you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I agree with your point Gog, that's why I recommended the SNES version. I wouldnt pick the PS version above the SNES version, but I was merely saying that given no other options, the PSX isn't as abysmal as everyone is making it seem, because despite the other RPGs having 3D as a reason for load times, the load times are the same, thus, if a player can tolerate one for a good game, the other won't be so bad.

17. Cloud Strife

agreed i didn't think the load times were THAT bad, in fact, i never had the SNES version, i barrowed it from a friend, so the PSX was the only way i had to play. now that u mention it, my friend still has Chrono Cross i need to get it back, he's had it for almost 7 years now.....lol

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I did actually find the load times "that bad". When I'm playing a SNES game and it loads slower than FFIX I have to wonder what's up at some point. The battle loading didn't bother me much, it was the loading to access my menu and save the game. I became so unbearable I eventually stopped playing it. I will say though, it was worth it it to sit through the first time just the cut scenes play out.

Also, I'd rather play it on the DS now because as much as I love those games the resolution seems to hold out better on my DS than my TV.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's funny, I've been trying to get CC back from a friend who's had it for about 2 years now. I may just have to buy another copy.

Anyway, to each their own on the load times, of course. But for me, I'd rather suffer through load times (which I still don't think are bad enough for me to have stopped playing any CDgame) than to play a game like CT on such a small screen.

Heheh, you would always Hack a PSP and use a SNES emulator. Least you get a bit more screen and the optimal SNES version.

20. Cloud Strife

only one prob, i don't have a PSP, i'm a nintendo fanboy! lol i didn't even buy the psONE. i worked at an arcade and they had a psONE for 50,000 tickets, i just kept all the big ticket checks instead of shreading them and had a friend buy it and put it in my trunk. funny, about a year later, the owners son accused me of steeling money out of the rgister, and had me fired. it was fun working at an arcade though, when i was TECH i got to play games just to see if they worked ok!