Chrono Label new pic.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ultraq, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ultraq

ultraq Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    whoa...i might just have to get this

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have to say, I find the design utterly unimaginative, even compared with the old Kronoform design. Does this still have a ludicrous price point?

4. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    What are you expecting from a transforming watch exactly? There aren't many ways of transforming a watch into a robot if you can only use what's AROUND the screen.

5. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For $300+, something more imaginative.

6. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Define imaginative. You can't just complain for the sake of complaining without offering solutions. You want it to turn into a beast? A car? A plane? Been done before.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And so has a transforming watch. it had a hell of a lot more detail than that, and it cost a fraction of what this one costs.
    Your point?

8. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Can hardly believe what I'm reading here. You're complaining that transforming watches are not imaginative because transforming watches have been done before? That's like complaining about a new Optimus Prime. Or any new Transformer.

Plus, the watches you keep refering to were cheap crud pieces of plastic crap. You can't even compare.

9. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, I can. I don't work at Takara, it's not my job to come up with solutions. I know, as a consumer, that this watch is very boring and very expensive. I know I want something more creative than a box a few other skinny boxes attached (especially for this price). Hell, Meantime was more interesting.

10. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Takara is after a classy metal transforming watch you can actually wear, not a plastic toy meant for 5-year-old kids.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the general sentiment here is (and I agree) that we're 25+ years down the road, and there's no overwhelmingly significant improvement in the engineering of this compared to its (toy) Kronoform predecessors.

I'm not a gifted engineer, so I can't pretend to have a lot of insight into what I think it ought to do, other than perhaps have a smaller display and more to the robot mode. Bottom line, I'm not getting anywhere near the "wow" factor I get from your average $10 deluxe... for $300, I definitely expect a bit more.

Anybody know if this actually to be released under the Transformers brand proper, or more of a general Takara transforming product? Haven't seen the logo on anything yet.

12. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the elegant simplicity of the designs on these new Chronoforms. I think lots of detail would end up making them look cluttered and push them closer to a TF like Meantime, who isn't a very attractive bot in my eyes, much less an attractive watch.

The only thing that will keep me from getting these is the price. Other than that, I'd LOVE to see more transforming gadgets like this.

13. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    There is elegance to the design of the watch, and I have no issue with the robot form. My biggest question is what on earth this thing will offer to justify the near $300 cost. My guess is there's going to be some nice (and I mean REALLY nice) tech behind the watch itself. It's the only way they can justify the price. Either that or there will be a limited quantity made. If neither of those proves to be true then I want some of what Takara's smoking.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, the tech would have to be nothing short of amazing or revolutionary. It's hard enough to get the general public to spend $300 on a new iPod or any other high-end media device. When you roll that up with a watch that doubles as a robot (very cool to me, but I'm hardly Joe Consumer), I can see even less people being interested. Of course I'm only looking at this through big fat American eyes. The appeal in Japan, it's base market, may be quite different. :) 

I'm still crossing my fingers that the price is a mistake because I REALLY want at least one of these things.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    First up, I can say whatever the hell I like. Deal with it.
    Secondly, re-read my post properly. because I didn't actually say that at ALL.
    I am saying that in my opinion the level of detail is awful, and the transformation on this is unimaginative. Which it is. Lots of plain surfaces with no detailing at all - even on sides that wouldn't be seen in watch mode. It looks utterly plain. I see this as a hugely expensive missed opportunity.
    Yes, I can. It's called having an opinion (and I am getting really sick of apparently having to point that out to people).
    And the old Kronoform watches were a HELL of a lot of fun.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some people seem to think the Chrono Label watch toy could be better than it is.

A lot of people apparently think it is too expensive for what it is. (even though exactly what it is - is an unknown quantity.)

No need to take up the cause of the Chrono Label Knight because you don't agree.

17. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I could show you non-transforming watches with only 1 function (time) that cost twice as much. It's not like expensive watches have never existed before.

Isn't that a way of saying it's ok to bitch about toys but it's not to defend them? You seem to think I don't respect the opinion of naysayers; I say I'm just showing the other side of the coin.

18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I have to agree with Draven. For 300$, I would be expecting A LOT more from a transforming robot watch.

Heck, I had an old candy container watch that was huge and really stylized. Looked good. I bet if I could find something like that again, I can use the housing to make a much more appealing transformer than this thing, and sell it for a fraction of the cost.

I think what Draven is saying is that a whole lot more can be done to a watch like that with a 300$ price tag.

Then again, it could be possible that the watch itself has a lot more to it that just displaying the time.

19. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Eh.. that's actually kinda... lame?

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm saying you appear to be taking it a bit personally. You weren't on the design team were you? I guess that would be a good explanation for how you can tell us why it's priced the way it is.

I admit I'm biased, since I've never spent more than $20 for a watch in my entire life, transforming or not, So all I can really see is a very expensive slab-shaped watch which turns into a very expensive slab-shaped robot.