Customs: Chroming Movie Megatron

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by dragontron88, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

I have seen all the repaints, they look good, they really do, but is it possible to take the next step up, and completely chrome him, anyone know if this is possible, and how much it would cost?

2. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

it would be possible, but would be rather costly, and dificult.

From one of the car forums I frequent I learned about a company offering plastic chroming, but it will cost you around 50-100 bucks to chrome all the parts that make up megs. at least that's what that company charged. plus you will have to worry about shipping costs.

and then if you were to do that, you will run into the issue of thickness. the chroming process will add a millimeter or two to the parts, and would have to be shaved back down where parts join, and you would run the risk of cracking the chrome as you try to take it back down. It would be possible, but it will be nerve racking, and possibly costly if a part does get chipped.

If you can eventually pull it off though, it would be truly bad ass.

3. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

it would be possible, but would be rather costly, and dificult.

From one of the car forums I frequent I learned about a company offering plastic chroming, but it will cost you around 50-100 bucks to chrome all the parts that make up megs. at least that's what that company charged. plus you will have to worry about shipping costs.

and then if you were to do that, you will run into the issue of thickness. the chroming process will add a millimeter or two to the parts, and would have to be shaved back down where parts join, and you would run the risk of cracking the chrome as you try to take it back down. It would be possible, but it will be nerve racking, and possibly costly if a part does get chipped.

If you can eventually pull it off though, it would be truly bad ass.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can try that new chrome spray paint. Sorry, forgot the name.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can try that new chrome spray paint. Sorry, forgot the name.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Rustoleom makes a chrome spray paint, its not easy to get it to go on evenly and every time I've put a clear coat on its dulled to a silver or grey(on wood).

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Rustoleom makes a chrome spray paint, its not easy to get it to go on evenly and every time I've put a clear coat on its dulled to a silver or grey(on wood).

8. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if you couldn't get that done for 75 bucks. There are places that do chroming all over. Just check the yellowpages.

There are guys that used to get a TON of chroming done for their ricers before that look went out.. couldn't be TOO expensive.

There's also a new chrome auto paint, but I'm sure that would end up costing just as much as actual chrome.

Chrom on Megs would, of course look absolutley BITCHIN.

9. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if you couldn't get that done for 75 bucks. There are places that do chroming all over. Just check the yellowpages.

There are guys that used to get a TON of chroming done for their ricers before that look went out.. couldn't be TOO expensive.

There's also a new chrome auto paint, but I'm sure that would end up costing just as much as actual chrome.

Chrom on Megs would, of course look absolutley BITCHIN.

10. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Look into Alclad II Chrome. You have to do a base of black enamel, then paint the Alclad. It should give a pretty nice chrome or at least polished metal look. Check your local hobby store.

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Look into Alclad II Chrome. You have to do a base of black enamel, then paint the Alclad. It should give a pretty nice chrome or at least polished metal look. Check your local hobby store.

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There is also stuff made by Alsa that looks just like chrome that is sprayed on. They have a bunch of other cool paints as well (color heat change, crystalline, etc..), but they aren't cheap.

13. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There is also stuff made by Alsa that looks just like chrome that is sprayed on. They have a bunch of other cool paints as well (color heat change, crystalline, etc..), but they aren't cheap.

14. LoneWolf76

LoneWolf76 Well-Known Member

I have a chrome silver spray. It costed 3.60 €.
    But I will not use it on Megatron.
    I bought a normal silver spray to do it (still not have Megatron, but plan to do :) ).
    Why? Because chrome silver it's difficult to paint over, like someone said loose its shine when sealed and, in my opinion, TMT07 Megatron does not shine.
    He has been covered with ice for decades, and when he is freed he go out and struggle against everything and everybody. So its metal has to be a bit dirty instead.

15. LoneWolf76

LoneWolf76 Well-Known Member

I have a chrome silver spray. It costed 3.60 €.
    But I will not use it on Megatron.
    I bought a normal silver spray to do it (still not have Megatron, but plan to do :) ).
    Why? Because chrome silver it's difficult to paint over, like someone said loose its shine when sealed and, in my opinion, TMT07 Megatron does not shine.
    He has been covered with ice for decades, and when he is freed he go out and struggle against everything and everybody. So its metal has to be a bit dirty instead.