chrome weapons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ricky_Stream, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i know many of you hate chrome parts but i got to say i love it! my henkei prowl is just awesome with all the bling and with that said...wouldn't be cool more chrome weapons? prime would look amazing as hell with one!

who's with me?

2. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Chrome has its place. It's just not here with the rest of us. Er, I mean... uh... No, I'm not anti-Chromite! Honest!

In seriousness, chrome is fine when used with some thought. Henkei Nightstick looks killer in gun mode with the chromed pieces. And for some reason I really like Ironhide's weapon in chrome. On the other hand, extremely random chroming like most of Henkei gets is Bad Chrome. And I think it's actually a rare thing to get chrome applied in a tasteful way, which is why I'm generally happy that Hasbro just doesn't even bother anymore. Especially with the nightmares of some chrome failure between Transmetals and Beast Machines. Yikes.

I'm honestly hard pressed to think of a recent toy where chrome would be a make-or-break element. Though I am buying Henkei Cyclonus almost exclusively for that Nightstick, so...

Another thing I like to keep in mind is that vacuum metalization probably costs more per piece than an equivalent number of paint operations. Less chrome likely means more painted colors on our toys.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The worst usage of Chrome is Henkei Galvatron.

4. DarkKnightPrime

DarkKnightPrime Banned

I like all chrome, i see nothing wrong with it, its not something to blow your top over like I see some people do. I actually quite like it, it adds a little more PZAZZ to the figure. Ive always liked good old shiny chrome.

5. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i dont like the weapons on prowl n sunstreaker. but i do like chrome on some figures, like henkei prime.. and the dark chrome on henkei astrotrain looks great....chrome weapons, im not too sure

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Chrome is great when used well, such as in place of things which may be chromed or metallic on full-scale objects - hubcaps, grills, rollbars and pipes, and some weapons. Go beyond that, and it can be a crap-shoot as to whether the chromed parts look good or tacky and befitting of a Big Lots knockoff.

One place I was surprised to find I liked to see chrome was on robot eyes - as seen on a few Japanese TF toys and the Masterpiece Optimus Prime. The extra shine in the eyes gives the robot a bit more 'life" IMO.

7. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

Depending.

Henkei Grimlock looks suckish with chrome, so does galvy.

And if they try to Vacuum Metalize Animated figures, we'll get even less paint apps, due to cost.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't mind chrome on weapons. It's when the figures themselves have random parts of their body chromed that I find it annoying.

9. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    It works great as an accent (Starscream's weapons, Meg's chest, Prime's grill). Otherwise, it's pretty useless. (As already stated with Grimlock and pretty much all others.)

10. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Don't like chrome weapons in general, but there are exception sometimes. Mostly preferred painted silver instead.

Chrome has it place, and can look great when done right (Henkei Prime's front grill), but pops out too much when used in the wrong places. Its also hard to maintain. Chrome plastic stains real easy by sweaty or greasy finger, leaving permanant marks on them if you don't constantly wipe them off.

11. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

but they're so pretty!!!!

12. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I think Convoy should have had chrome guns. Cause then in Alt-mode, they would become chrome smokestacks.