Christopher Nolan makes the internet explode...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Ok I'm just posting this to cause the explosion of the internet, which will cause the world to self destruct.

Interview: 'Inception' Cinematographer Wally Pfister - Cinematical

I'm sorry to be the agent of chaos that causes the end of the world... but it is my destiny.

2. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I wonder how many fans are going to scream about how they're boycotting Chris Nolan films now...

3. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    I thought it hilarious myself, just because I hear how dumb Bay is and how other directors think his movies suck etc etc... Then one of the most intelligent film makers loves his films.

It's an interesting perspective if nothing else.

4. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

I think he said he also likes the Prequel Star Wars

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I don't find this awkward, I like Bay's films. I may not like some humor in his films, but who else shoots like he does?

6. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Why can't he like Bay's films? They're great, pointless summer blockbuster movies. Nothing deep to them, they're just great entertainment. People need to accept that.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God forbid somebody likes a fun movie in the entertainment industry.

8. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Well...When you think about it, Christopher Nolan kinda does. I mean look at all the action scenes from the recent Batman films. Lots of explosions and destruction. There's even some shaky cam going on in Batman Begins when you try and get a good look at Bats fighting.

It's interesting, because this kind of legitimizes the question of would Christopher Nolan actually be interested in doing a Transformers reboot?

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Nolan's done an absolutely fantastic job with the Batman reboots, and I'd be happy to see Nolan directing the TF reboot. If someone as good as Nolan was in charge of the project, it'd definetly be spectacular, the end results.

10. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    ^^ Or at least we hope so. I don't think he could do TF... his films lack that lite fun nature. All his films have been serious pieces. I wouldn't want a heavy story with Transformers. I wouldn't mind Nolan being a producer of the series, just like he is for Superman. I think his directorial style hasn't shown he can do a piece that appeals to kids and adults... which is what TF has to do. The Dark Knight (and upcoming Inception) are fantastic films, but they require an adult to fully ingest them.

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I could see what you mean, but at the same time I'd still kind of like to see where he'd go with it. I'd like to think he could do something that was serious, but not to the point that it would become borring. Even his Batman films have some humor to them. All be it a bit dry.
    He would certainly have the skill for the visual action that Transformers needs. He's proved he can do that with the chase scene in Dark Knight.

12. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    This COULD be really cool, key word being could. Nolan makes amazing films, but as someone else already stated, they're pretty dark and deep. Transformers needs to be a fun (and even a bit colourful) film. It doesn't need a dark story to keep it going.
    That being said, Nolan knows how to do action and explosions and such. As long as he keeps the general design aesthetics of the Transformers, and the core principles of the series, his version of Transformers could really be amazing.

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    wats wrong with liking tf1 it was a good movie but 2 is a different story.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Meh, get back to me when he says Revenge of the Fallen is a passable movie. Then I will rage and boycott and all that.

15. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

I really, really doubt Chris Nolan would direct Transformers 4. He might produce something on that blockbuster level, like he is with the new Superman films, but after Batman 3, I really think he's going to want to find a new, untouched franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be cool if Nolan directed a Transformers movie, with a non-linear storyline, and a brainy script, but it's not gonna happen.

I really think TF4, if it comes to fruition, will be directed by an up and coming director who hasn't had a breakthrough movie, yet. The studio will pay him next to nothing, Michael Bay will executive produce. The movie will retain the same concept artists and production designers as the first 3 movies, and as a result will have similarly designed cars and bots.

But hey, if 15 years down the line we find that TF4 has been in development hell, and people are interested in a new take on the franchise, we might find it with a BIG director manning the reboot.

PS, just because a director admits to liking another director's work, doesn't mean he's over-the-moon in love his stuff. I remember back when AVP first came out, James Cameron was approached by an AICN fanboy who asked "Hey James, how much did you hate Alien v Predator?" to whom he responded: "I dunno, I kinda enjoyed it. It was fun for an action movie." which flat-out shocked the fanboy. Just because Chris Nolan likes Bay's movies, according to a third party, doesn't mean he'll be lining up to direct Transformers 4.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  16. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't imagine Nolan's take on the Transformers.

Mostly because I don't like the idea of Throat Cancer Prime.

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Well it's not like I was saying it was a sure thing. I was just insinuating that by the fact that he seems to enjoy Bay films, kind of makes that fan speculation I've seen around a few times, of would Nolan direct a TF film, a little more realistic.
    Will it happen? Probably not. But now it just seems like the idea is not outside of his range.

lol I don't think just because Nolan would be directing means Christian Bale would be voiceing Prime. They'd probably still get Cullen.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Hoo boy, can't wait to see how Rob of Topless Robot reacts to this...

I guess Nolan just realizes that there's nothing wrong with big dumb entertainment, so long as it acknowledges itself as such.

19. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised, great directors are always more populist than we give them credit for. Reminds me of a story that Stanley Kubrick loved Billy Madison.

Besides, Bay and Nolan both like to blow stuff up for real while leaving CGI to impossible characters and that's admirable.

20. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits: