Christopher nolan, is he the most inventive director today

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by megatron6661, Dec 20, 2011.

1. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

When I see the possibility's in the dark knight rises, bane and catwoman may know who batman's true identity is, and that there is the real possibility batman may lose. With the success of inception, is Nolan the most inventive and creative director in the business today? how highly do you rate him is well? or do you guys rate him at all?

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm scared to say anything bad about Chris on the Internet...

But Batman Begins was quite possibly the most boring movie I've ever seen. I did not like Batman Begins.

Dark Knight was brilliant, and Inception was very well thought out.

I like Nolan, but I find his movies a tab visually bland. All city shots and men in suits. There are exceptions, yes. I'm also not always in a Nolan mood. I have to be set on watching movies to sit down and do so.

Best director of all time? Quentin Tarantino. Deal.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I <3 Nolan. I think Inception was his most inventive film, but what he's done with Batman is truly astounding. He is one of the best. Wouldn't say THE nest.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'd say that he very well could be. I loved Inception and Batman Begins, I liked The Dark Knight, and I've heard good things about Memento (still haven't seen it yet). However, I hated The Prestige because that inventiveness of his got a little out of hand towards the end.

5. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love his work. He is really an amazing director and has created movies that re-visioned and changed a certain franchise (Batman)

6. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    I want him to do a Transformers movie. Dont know if thats his style but

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoy his work as he usually puts out quality stuff. He's not the be all end all however and has weaknesses as well as strengths. For example, with his Batman films he tries to make everything as realistic as possible. While it does work and is highly praised by many, it comes at the expense of the more high-concept ideas. You won't see a Clayface in a Nolan interpretation of Batman, at least not as a man who's made of clay. I really enjoy high-concept ideas because you don't see things like that in real life, stories allow us to explore the "what ifs" and go beyond the boundaries of real life.

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

He's just the Tim Burton of men in suits and "shocking" plot twists. Sooner or later he'll come out with something that's the same formula but with less-than-stellar results and others will realize it.

The man casts his movies with the exact same people, score, and dialogue. I enjoyed Batman Begins, I thought the Dark Knight was smart, well-cast, but woefully inaccurate towards its source material. Inception was a tease- a good tease, but still a tease. I expect the Dark Knight Rises to be good-but-not-great, especially with that pretentious teaser trailer.

Boom.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nolan is definitely one of my favorite directors, and I do consider him quite inventive and creative. Though I'm not sure I would consider him my absolute favorite, nor would I say he's the absolute most inventive and creative director of recent years. He's high-up on the list, but certainly has competition for those titles.

His work on the recent Batman movies, and his involvement in the next Superman movie, are why I'm hoping he gets involved with the Green Lantern sequel. I really like the first one, but can see some room for improvement. He's also my first pick for a Green Arrow movie, which is something I'm hoping gets made eventually.

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

he's great, but i think he takes the batman concept a bit too seriously. i do like that he took it to a more serious tone, but at the same time, i feel like he took it TOO seriously. he should lighten up the mood a bit.

like it would of been nice if the joker, actually told jokes, and said funny things, which at least to me he really wasn't. some of it was funny. the "making the pencil disappear" part was. but for the most part, he wasn't that funny.

he is a great director, but i don't think he's any better then like James Cameron, or Tim Burton. spielberg is another great one too.

there are still a lot of great directors out there. so is he the most inventive director today? idk. he still has a LOT of competition!

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

He IS a great director, he can create scenes like no other person and is extremely good with "human nature-analyzing" [i.e TDK and Inception].

However, as some other people said, I think he has something of a inexplicable blandness to his movies, and similarly, he sometimes trips on his flaws [see Nolan's Batman verse: His realism-obsession made his Batman vision somewhat incomplete].

His Main Strengths: Scene directing and edition, analysis about human nature.

His Flaws: Lack of a "remarkable" thing [somehow], obsession with realism, sometimes drops the ball in directing characters [for instance, I felt most of the characters in Inception were awfully bland, and most that weren't were due the actor's natural charisma, such as Ken Wattanabe].

I'd say he is better studying characters and concepts then outright putting them into screen.

Great Director, but not even close to the best of our days, Tim Burton kicks his ass by a mile, for instance.

12. Dolza_Khyron

yes exactly on the obsession with realism, you can only make a story about a rich man who dresses up like a giant bat, to fight crime, because his mommy and daddy got shot, so far.

his films remind me a lot of frank millers, they both try to make everything dark and gritted. to make it appear more realistic. while putting very little humor in it.

i mean, as good as his films are, just HOW seriously can you take the batman concept? or any other super hero concept.

they need to lighten up with these stories, and just have fun with them! rather then try to make them super realistic.

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    he's definitely one of my favorites

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think u missed the point of nolans joker.

Nolans joker is a dark brooding joker from the pages of arkham asylum (the one dave mckean drew) and his joke is that the world is not clued in to his demented pov. Which is why the climax was ppl actually acting compasionate which was basically his punchline taken away.

I think nolan is good but in a gimmicky way. Micheal bay is a better director.

:lol 

15. Dolza_Khyron

oh i know all that. i just found it a very boring character because of it lol

16. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No director is perfect, even the greats would churn out the occasional dud. See: Scorsese, Spielberg, Burton, Tarantino. But I don't exactly have the hard-on for Nolan the same way a large chunk of the internet seems to. Based on his films I've seen:
    Memento: I was blown away, one of his finest works. Keeps you guessing and trying to figure things out til the very end.
    Insomnia: I was bored for the most part. Nothing more than your average suspense/thriller.
    Batman Begins: I for one, really enjoyed his real world take on Batman. Too serious? Nah, as long as it's a well-made Bat-film it works for me!
    The Prestige aka Wolverine vs Batman: way too predictable and too many gimmicks. I saw all the "twists" from mile away. Unimpressive.
    The Dark Knight: my favorite film of all time. Many give it slack for being too plodding, and the plot reaching at times. But I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it!
    Inception: <yawn> Some great sequences here and there, but the film as a whole falls flat with me. As Peter Griffin would put it, this film "insists upon itself."

That's an interesting way of looking at it, never thought of that.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Inception are all fantastic, great pieces of work.

Chris Nolan knows how to make some great conflict in his charecters and shoots action quite well. Also he doesn't believe in 3-D which is a added bonus.

18. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

Yes. Yes he is! He is one of my absolute favorite directors because of his fresh perspective on plots and concepts. Any idea he touchs turns to gold, due to his great directing. He's the greatest director of this generation! :D 

19. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Most inventive...hmmm. Introspective, smart, prolific, fearless, and perhaps innovative, but "most inventive"? Gosh, I'd have to go with 'game changer' directors and Nolan isn't my first choice in that category.

The guy who consistently sets the bar and even blows his old mark away, is James Cameron. Granted, I haven't adored every movie he's done and in some ways he's more workmanlike than 'inventive', but he's got monster talent and it shows. He learns enormously from his efforts of the past and applies this knowledge going forward. Nolan should take some time away- like Cameron- and craft his next opus. However, he's a little too popular and busy currently to do that I'd imagine, so the inventiveness quotient will be left to Cameron. A guy who doesn't mind (and can accord) taking off for a few years to redefine the genre and blow us all away.

Attached Files:

20. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

On his Batman, I think his main problem with realism is not that his movies lack humour [I'd say they're fine on that trait], I think he drops the ball on certain "MUST BE FANTASY" aspects of Batman, for instance, Gotham City is usually a dark, shadowy city with tall buildings of gothic architeture, gargoyles and things like that, the city itself is somber and mournful.

Nolan turns the city in a generic Chicago.

He [as I said earlier] also drops the ball when it comes to character sometimes: he mixed up the Modus Operandi of Joker and The Ridlder, made The Joker unfunny [I think that was the point, but I still think the "true" Joker is supposed to joke about stuff], didn't get Two Face right [he is a guy with two personalities, not a Nieztche Wannabe who flips a coin because he believes in chance], and is hellbent to make every Batman villain wear a freaking Suit [See goddamn Scarecrow].