Christopher Nolan for TF reboot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I keep hearing people say that Christopher Nolan should direct a Transformers reboot and it just makes no sense. Christopher Nolan is a great director, yes, but Transformers isn't the kind of franchise he'd probably interested in. I've never really seen him use much CGI in any of his films aside from Inception and the kind of films he directs are usually psychological thrillers with bits of neo-noir here and there. Until he actually directs an actual big-budget action movie (which is pretty unlikely), I don't see him doing a Transformers film.

2. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Lots of director threads on here.......:banghead: 

But Christopher Nolan could introduce a darker more serious tone to the movie. Oh well, I think Brad Bird could do a great job.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Christopher Nolan wouldn't touch TFs with a 40-foot pole.

People need to realise it's not easy to get these big-name directors. Honestly I'm surprised the crappy little toy commercial from the 80's got what it did.

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it's never going to happen anyway, so don't even worry about it.

Oh, and in regards to him never directing big budget action movies: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Inception would all like to have a word with you.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While I've enjoyed Christopher Nolan's films he just don't seem has that good of a fit for Transformers. His style might work great for Batman but just because he's a good fit Batman it doesn't mean that Nolan would be a good fit for every DC hero like Superman or Wonder Woman.

If we were going big name directors I'd throw in a name like Peter Jackson instead. We know Peter Jackson can do big creatures, big battles, characters, story, and we'd get a chance to see how WETA would handle Transformers compared to the ILM treatment.

Plus Peter Jackson is super nice toward fans and it's about time we had a director who was nice even when we didn't agree with where he might be going with the movies. If the man could sell that altered ending and cutting out chunks of the books to Lord of the Rings fans then he can sell just about anything.

6. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were big budget action movies. Now, The Dark Knight Rises is coming out this year.

7. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

No.

Not a fan of Nolan's films, especially how he creates drastically different interpretations of characters. He's overhyped, and his style of film making wouldn't work for TF.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This.

9. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Lol, I like how you completely forgot about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

But, he would never touch his fingers on this mess of a movie series.
    He is a incredible director who has class, it seems like so far in his career.
    If Transformers was never touched by Bay, then yes.... I could totally see him doing it.

What most people who are not Transformers fans or/and didn't see the old cartoons see transformers as is that horribly written but one hell of a CGI ride movie.
    I doubt Nolan has seen the cartoon but has seen the movies and that alone will make him keep away from it and most "incredible" directors.
    Steven Spielberg is on the movies because even though it sucks, it must be dam fun to make the movies.
    Who wouldn't want to work on a massive robot battling movie to have the fun of making it?
    Well not counting Captain Fanzone because..... You know.... He is not big fan of robots.
    ;) 

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Nolan would not be a good fit. Serious tonal clash.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd like to see it, but I don't think he'd be interested. If he did, he'd likely make something completely different from what we'd expect, given the Bay films.

You know who probably WOULD be interested (or at least expressed an interest waaaaaaay back in the franchise)? Quentin Tarantino.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Serious? You got a source on that?

13. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

When I meant, "Big Budget Action Movie", I meant something that has special effects involved, BB and TDK don't count.

14. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt someone like him would want to do something like Transformers.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No.

I love The Dark Knight series but Transformers is not a noir psychological superhero film. Speilberg or Abrahms though are perfect.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You know what I'd be happy to have Nolan do? Write and direct a psychological thriller of a TF tale, set before the Great War and involving lots of Cybertronian political intrigue. It would be centered around Megatron's early machinitions to subvert Cybertron. Characters would be as follows:

Megatron (former gladiator fighting for the rights of the downtrodden Cybertronian military, who are looked on as second-class)
    Starscream (Megatron's second-in-command, who at this early stage already harbors dreams of surpassing his leader)
    Soundwave and his cassettes (Megatron's unparalleled information-gatherers and spies)
    Shockwave (a Cybertronian scientist and military strategist, the true brains behind the rebel movement)
    Ratbat (a Cybertronian senator who sympathizes with and secretly aids Megatron's cause)
    Lugnut (Megatron's loyal leg-breaker)

Swindle (unscrupulous arms dealer, secretly working for both sides)
    Lockdown (ruthless assassin for hire, secretly working for both sides)

Sentinel Prime (the tyrannical and corrupt Cybertronian leader responsible for spurring Megatron to rebel; dies at the climax of the film)
    Alpha Trion (wise Cybertronian senator, attempting to mediate peace amidst Cybertron's volatile political environment)
    Grimlock (a Cybertronian gladiator with a 'might is right' policy, who toys with the idea of joining the rebels but eventually declines)
    Nightbeat (a Cybertronian law-enforcement officer working to bring down the rebel movement)
    Orion Pax (a young data archivist in the employ of Nightbeat and Alpha Trion who, at the tale's conclusion, is elected to take Sentinel's place)

So those films didn't have special effects involved, did they?

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It was in an old interview that for the life of me I can't seem to find, so no, I can't back it up with a verifiable source.

The jist of it was that someone asked him what he'd be doing if he weren't making movies and he said he'd want to be writing comics, so they said "Oh, like Batman and Spider-man?" and his reply was "No man! Like Transformers!"

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

You seem to have an incorrect view of what "special effects" are. They are NOT limited to giant ass robots.

And I DARE you to explain to me how the sweet bike trick Batman does in TDK after the airborne truck flip is NOT special effects, or the exploding Gotham Hospital, or how that one guy had half his face catch fire. Because they didn't actually build a bike that functions just like what Batman used, they did not actually blow up a whole hospital in real life, and they did not actually set the actor's face on fire.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ummm... okay? So despite each of those movies along with Inception being A) big budget, and B) having a ton of special effects laden action, they somehow don't count as being "big budget action movies"? I would just LOVE to hear how & why that is.

20. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nolan would never touch transformers. Im expecting another original film from him once hes done with the dark knight rises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.