Christopher Nolan as a new director? (NOT BECAUSE OF BATMAN)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimaloptimus2, Jun 15, 2012.

1. optimaloptimus2

optimaloptimus2 Sonic Xtreme, not Mario!

News Credits:
    I've actually been meaning to say this for a few years, but decided to stop procrastinating after watching The Prestige over and over. So, what do you think? I think his way of filling his films full of WTF moments is something that TF needs, and his Batman adaptations have been well-received, right?

2. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

Just because Chris Nolan cleaned up the mess Joel Schumacher made with Batman doesn't mean he should do the same with every single franchise.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Meh. It gets suggested about once a month by someone here, I don't think his style of movie fits the transformers. I'd rather see him make more films that aren't related to established properties.

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Just like the last 50 times this came up, Nolan can pick and choose and will not touch a toy movie with a bargepole.

I don't know where people get the idea that you're going to get a 'critics favourite' to direct a Transformers movie?

If and when a successor to Bay is announced.......you may wish Bay was coming back instead.

5. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Uwe Boll should take over in order to maintain the same style and level of quality as the previous three.

6. optimaloptimus2

optimaloptimus2 Sonic Xtreme, not Mario!

News Credits:
    Points taken guys, but I didn't bring up Nolan because he'd been recommended to death, or because he fixed Batman, but in hindsight, his style might not fit TF. Sorry!

7. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Nolan's more psychological with his films (e.g. Inception, Momento, TDK), and therefore I can't see him really doing a Transformers movie. Plus, I think his movies are far too deep for a normal TF fan to appreciate the effort put into it.

Honestly, I'd rather see someone like Spielberg get off the executive producer chair and take the helm. We know he's good at making enjoyable action movies, while still finding that magical point between childhood nostalgia, familiarity, and new and exciting shit. Granted, he hasn't been churning out the greatest movies lately (I haven't seen Tintin, so I can't speak for that one), but I think he'd certainly be capable.

The only other people I could really suggest would be Brian Singer, since we know he's able to control many characters on a screen, while still actually giving all of them characterization (as with X-Men 2), possibly J.J. Abrams, or maybe, maayybee Robert Zemeckis.

8. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah, Joel/Whedon threads come up often.

Before that, it was Bryan Singer because of the crappy x-men movies.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    A lot of people will say that Bay's films already have their 'WTF' moments.

ZING!

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Nonlan not a fan of huge amounts of cgi. Plus his style does not fit transformers.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    False. Nolan's Batman films contain roughly the exact same visual effects shot (aka, any shot that had to be tampered with in post-production, be it wire-removal, digital doubles, CGI environments, CG explosions, set extensions, etc.) count as Bay's Transformers. Nolan, much like Bay, is a director that uses visual effects when visual effects are necessary. If they can do it "real", they will. If they can film it practically on set, they will. Nolan may not use computer generated effects excessively, but when you have the concept of "live-action photorealistic transforming alien robots", if you want to do it as realistically as possible in 2012, then CGI is essentially the only method to use. The difference is the material they work with. Are copious amounts of computer generated imagery necessary for Batman to fight The Joker? Not really. Are copious amounts of CGI needed to have Optimus and Ratchet travel to the moon and retrieve Sentinel? Yes. Give Nolan a Transformers movie and he'll use just as much CGI as any other director because it's what they're translating to the screen that needs it (if they're trying to achieve photorealism in the modern day, that is).

As for whether or not his "style" would match, there's no real way to tell. He's definitely an auteur director; his films have a very distinct narrative and visual style. So we have certain guesses as to how things would turn out. But it's Schrodinger's Aesthetic. Until Nolan makes a Transformers film, his personal style both works and doesn't work with the material. His Tumbler, Bat-cycle, Bat-plane-thing exhibit a great sense of understanding practical props, CG blending and miniatures. Something that would make a great Transformers film (visually). Take Batman racing the Bat-cycle through the streets of Gotham and replace Batman with Lennox and the Bat-cycle with Arcee. Lennox goes tumbling off while Arcee transforms and skids to a halt. The Joker stealing that semi truck and ramming police cruisers and armored cars, that's a great scene. Now imagine if they transformed. If those police cars and armored cars were the Protectobots. I'm not saying it would or wouldn't work either way. Depending on the demands of the story, it totally could.

12. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

My problem wouldn't be that his style would clash with TFs (it wouldn't, for a lot of the reason Tyler already mentioned). My problem would be that he doesn't film action very well. Inception's action scenes weren't all that thrilling (I'm not hating on Inception because the rest of it was rather cool). And before anyone says anything about the truck chase in TDK, it was fun but hardly the spectacular event everyone made it out to be. Now the race to get Harvey and Rachel? That was good.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It won't work unless it became a psychological or political thriller which Transformers really isn't about.

14. Leonis Prime

Leonis Prime Ai-Megumi's Man

In Nolan we Trust

15. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I really hate that phrase. :)