Christmas sucks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

No, this isn't going to be one of those cynical rants about pretentiousness of christmas and how it's all about money these days...this is much more personal.

When I was a little boy, the Christmas a magical time. Admittably the highlight was the opening of the presents obviously, being a selfish little git children usually are...I never did like the dinner my mom cooked, it was too much like the christmas dinner in school (ick!). However, both of my sisters were present with their boyfriends and shortly before both started having their own christmas parties, their own kids. At that point, there was so many presents they practically covered one fourth of the whole room, it was unreal...

Now? Only people who show up to stay are my mom's dad and sister, leaving us to just five people. Obviously I don't get any toys but I don't get any PC games either (and I don't dare asking for any DVDs either because they're bound to get me the old version rather than the fancy new special edition I wished for), so all I get for christmas presents now is money and the cheapest (and the most sickening) chocolate they can get their hands on.

Last Christmas barely even felt like one, and my parents are talking about not even getting a frikkin' tree anymore. I in the other hand have been considering participating either of my sisters' Christmas parties where there's bound to be children present and it will actually feel like Christmas...but then, my folks would have even less folks present. :/

The magic of Christmas really is no more. :( 

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Just fun,fun,fun!

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm the complete opposite. I dislike most of my family (terrible thing to say, but I do) minus mah mum, sister and her BF, so it was better for me when the other relatives only showed up for a couple of hours. Christmas around my town was very muted. (nobody really mentioned it, no stores were selling a lot of Christmas stuff early, and even the TV had less specials on it) Nobody was really excited but me and my family.

But we MADE it more Christmas. We went all out decorating, spent days preparing and having fun, had a beautiful tree and piled so many presents under it we had to move the couches so there was just barely enough room. (NOT even kidding) Christmas day was awesome and the fun even carried over to boxing day.

It sucks that the Christmas joy has lessend for you, but you can still try this year to make it a better experience. And if it fails this year, there's next year and next year. Demand your parents get a tree and damn-well try and make it special again. Show them it's dead yet.

Or you could be a new-years guy and make it the new Christmas. The day is not important, the fun time is.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Make your own christmas magic. I used to love getting with my cousins and grandparents when I was little. Now, Ill either get with my brother and sister or we go to the in-laws. We also have a get together with friends and give gifts.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Could be worse...you could be homeless or starving living in some third world country. Kinda puts wishing things felt more chirstmassey into perspective.

And honestly, toy collectors (everyday is like christmas day for us) complaining about the spirit of christmas...well, theres just something not right about that.

6. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry to hear how Christmas has deteriated for you man. :( 

I feel the same way, that Christmas does not have the magical feeling you once felt as a kid. Of course, I eventually grew sick of celebrating Christmas and now I pretty much don't celebrate it anymore. Especially since I'm more for Halloween (and New Year's, St. Patrick's Day, and Independance Day).

Of course, I do hope you'll find that magical feeling that Christmas brought you again, since you sound like you enjoyed the holiday very much.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, yeah. When it's practically christmas all year long, presents are no longer that which makes the Christmas.

Not that it ever has been. It's always been a sum of it's parts. For me, the true feeling of christmas has been composed of smells; like gingerbread, the resin from the christmas tree and blown-out candles. For some reason, those smells seem to have disappeared as well. That, or they're lacking the sensation they once produced.

Still, it could be worse. It could be like my birthdays. This year I didn't even get a phonecall or a SMS message from either of my sisters. The only ones who remembered were the automated forum messages. :( 

8. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

Yes. Magic is what is MOST important about Christmas.

You also get what you always want as presents. Including big, fancy EXPENSIVE Transformers toys, of course.

There's family get-togethers and great food, too.

That is what we do to celebrate Christ Jesus's birthday, BTW.:) 

Too bad too many people are getting too cynical about Christmas now and that is sad to see it slowly going down the drain.:( 

Just think of jingly bells, cute little Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Grinch trying to destroy Christmas, merrily laughing Santa Claus, busy little elves building your favorite Transformers to be shipped to your stockings, pretty shiny Christmas ornaments, colorful twinkling lights on your Christmas tree, hot chocolate and cookies by the warm fire, snowy nights, and of course the great old Christmas cartoons that we used to watch as kids.

Yes, you can make the Christmas magic happen once again. Just like Transformers, of course!:) 

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Christmas is really for children. New Year's is for grownups.

10. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I'm to the point where I'm starting to resent Christmas. It's a wonderful holiday, the meaning is pure, but the people.... Bleh. They've had decorations and stuff up incce September. September! Halloween wasn't over yet and they shot up with fake trees and lawn ornaments.

Then Black Friday comes around and the world falls apart. I think it's going to be worse this year though :( 

At home it's okay, we follow tradition and stuff and we live in the aniticipation for presents. We don't go all out with the shopping 'cause then you just accumulate 'stuff. And things look financially sound that I can donate this year.

That's the other thing that depressed me. around Christmas time sad things happen to people and for them, it might never be the same.

11. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Christmas was a terrible time when i had to work on Christmas eve, seems people like to bitch about anything. Like someone said before it could be worse but you could make your own traditions then, i guess you knew since everyone was growing up everyone else was bound to start their own Christmas thing. Cheer up.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Welcome to the grinding misery of adult life.

On the bright side, you probably only have 50 or 60 more years of it left.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We never celebrated Christmas in my house :( 

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This is why Christmas sucks;

[​IMG]

And this is why Christmas is hella awesome;

[​IMG]

15. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Yeah. Christmas is not what it used too be. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and christmas is starting to be more about giving and sharing and being with the family once you get older. Not about what you find under the tree.

Aw, that sucks not getting a christmas tree.
    How bout you ask for one of those fake trees?

16. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Ha, it's more a marketing ploy nowadays than a celebration of anything. But yeah, once you get older, you won't enjoy it the same as when you were young. I feel that way about birthdays too. Those good old days, staying up all night and bursting into the living room...

Just think positively, and, if it's your thing, remember what it is you're celebrating. Reflect on the good in your life, and maybe, try to make someone else smile.

17. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

As tacky as this sounds, I love giving at Christmas.
    As part of a family of 6, I try my best not to spend any extra money for the 5 weeks leading up to Christmas. That way, I have enough money to buy everyone a worthwhile present. This year I'm planning to buy Wii-fit for my sister and mum. As much as I hate the game, they love it, and so it's what they enjoy counts.

On Christmas Eve, my oldest brother comes over, as do my Aunty and Uncle on my mum's side. We have a big ol' Christmas Eve dinner, and look at all the presents under the tree, trying to guess what everyone got! considering that we all buy each other a present, except our parents, who put all our presents in individual sacks, we end up with around 25-30 boxes of varying sizes under our real tree, which we'll have put up and decorated as a family a few weeks prior. It doesn't look neatly decorated, as we get new decorations every year and we cram them all on, whilst listening to selections from The Snowman.

Come Christmas morning, and all the brothers, 3 of us, wake up at 5:30 to sneak into the lounge room, where the presents lie. As we step in, the beautiful smell of pine work us up into a Christmas frenzy, an we all dive to relative sacks pulling out all the presents our parents bought us, and eating all the crummy chocolates. When everyone is up at around 7, we begin handing out the individual presents, and it's awesome just to watch everyone's expression as they get their presents! Especially when you give them 'Elephunk' as prank, before pulling the real present out of the tree.

Then we go to church. Yawn.

When we get home, we fight for the rights to the DVD player, with my oldest brother usually coming out topsies. We watch and episode or two of a T.V. show, before my mum serves up home-made chocolate croissants for breakfast, with a choice of dark, white, milk or a mixture. In addition, we get melted marshmallows in our hot chocolates.

So yes, Christmas is 10 different flavours of awesome sauce. I know it won't be as good when I'm older, but damn it, right now it does most definitely not suck!

18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This! I am also resenting Christmas. I'm getting really ticked off here seeing Christmas stuff out in stores before Halloween has even arrived. This twisted mess of a holiday has spun way out of control. And Black Friday is just sick IMO. People running themselves over and going way out of their way to buy some crap that the stores are trying to get rid of.

In any event, I have renamed Merry Christmas into Happy Capitalism day.

19. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I think a lot of the negative attitude towards Christmas stems from all the receiving and not the giving. As I wrote in my post, one of the best things about Christmas is about not caring about what you want, but what other people want. And if you follow that attitude, it ends up a whole lot better for everyone, because everyone has gone out of their way to make everyone else happy.

20. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Yeah, wah. My family didn't celebrate Christmas growing up, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.