Christmas Specials!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Spiderus Prime, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I happy for The Specials of the Hoilday Season of given do CBS,ABC & others are showing Christmas Specials, and I wonder how are you think of them?

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I love all the Christmas shows. Rudolph is my favourite, except Santa is a douche in it.

3. Spiderus Prime

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Hey Santa waz thine in that special.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed he was. What the hell's with him saying Rudolph can't do crap becuase he had a red nose? Then to come crawling back on his hands and knees in the end and dare ask for Rudolphs help? Douche.

My favorite specials would probably be Garfields Christmas, The Grinch, and Charlie Brown. Pretty standard stuff really. As far as movies go, I love "Scrooge", The Muppet's Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story (yeah I know it's overplayed) and the Jim Carey Grinch (say what you will but it's great for a Christmas movie).

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    The Grinch and Charlie Brown Christmas are my favorites, along with A Christmas Story, Home Alone 1 (Home Alone 2 was meh), and Santa Clause 1 (SC 2 and 3 were bad).

6. Spiderus Prime

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

I never see 3nd one, but I did see the 2nd one.

7. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Fixed

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Star Wars: Holiday Special > all ;) 

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like Rudolph, anything Grinch, a lot of the standard stuff. I'm glad they're already playing Christmas stuff, get into the season, NAO.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

"Shrek The Halls" was an instant classic. It deals with a very important thing not covered in many other specials: "The holidays means putting up with people who annoy you."

I also greatly enjoy the Christmas episode of "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." "How is it I'm Jewish and I'm the only one with Christmas spirit?"

And did anyone else like the Anime "My Santa"?

11. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :lol  Yeah, since you brought that up, Santa was a bit of a hardass in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I know the guy has to deliver presents to children around the world all in one night, but come on! :p 

12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm not a big fan of Christmas movies, but for some reason, I have to watch the Santa Clause movies every year.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    not a special but Scrooged w/Bill Murray is great..

14. Spiderus Prime

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Santa CLuas is comin' to town is a good special.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    A Christmas Story and National lampoons Christmas Vacation are my fav's for movies and Rudolph and The animated Ginch are my favorite Specials.

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I've always had a soft spot for Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, so much so that a couple years ago I emailed the guy who maintains the Rankin/Bass site to ask if he knew where the red-headed Kris Kringle Animagic puppet wound up (its in his collection). He's the same guy who was exhibiting the Santa and adolescent Rudolph puppets that surfaced a couple of years ago (the rest of the Rudolph cast having been turned into a shapeless lump of bodies by improper storage), and who wrote a comprehensive book on the company.

Rudolph usually starts off my Christmas season, but this year I've been watching a bunch of other specials first, like Frosty, The Santa Clause, a really early version of A Christmas Carol (that was one of the extras on the DVD set of the 1951 Alastair Sim version). I also like Elf a whole lot, and wish I could get the Peanuts specials collection.

--Moony

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Mickey's Christmas Carol is good but I haven't seen it in a long time.

My favorite is The Grinch, followed by Rudolph and Charlie Brown's Christmas.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I believe if I'm not mistaken it's one of the shorts included with Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume Two the Walt Disney Treasures set.

I really like that special, Year without a Santa Clause. (How can you not?) I find the puppet one and the re-make with live actors equally good and I just dig that song sung by the two Mizer brothers.

Muppet Familly Christmas always fills me with fond childhood memories and I think He-Man/She-Ra A Christmas Special is an interestng look back at kooky 80's Christmas Specials.

There are so many great Christmas Specials, although in recent years I've noticed a plethora of pathetc films used to cash in on the Holiday. :mad 

And I can't believe nobody has mentioned the all-time best Christmas Movie Comiedy ever! Ernest Saves Christmas. When I saw that film in the theatres I really felt it was a fun funny family film.

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    That's only because I hadn't posted in this thread yet.

I've got a few dozen different Holiday-themed movies/specials on DVD, and it's always a challenge for me every December to watch them all between Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are some of my favorites:

- A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The soundtrack for this is tha jam.

- A Claymation Christmas
    I particularly love the "Carol of the Bells" segment at the end, with the orchestra of bells directed by Quasimodo. Hilarious.

- A Garfield Christmas
    If I had to name an absolute top favorite, it would probably be this one because it reminds me so much of my family and my childhood.

- Jack Frost
    No, I'm not talking about that live-action crappy horror movie, nor that crappy family film starring Michael Keaton. This is the stop-motion animated TV special. And of all the many Rankin-Bass holiday specials, this one stands out as my personal favorite. I can't really explain why though -- just the nostalgic feeling I get whenever I watch it.

- How The Grinch Stole Christmas
    I was invited to read this Dr. Seuss' classic for a public elementary school and while I was there I ended up meeting the woman who would later become my wife who worked at the school. It also has been a part of every family Christmas I had growing up, so you can bet I have all kinds of nostalgic attachment to this one.

- The Small One
    This is a relatively unknown Disney animated short film that also happened to be the directorial debut of Don Bluth (An American Tail, Anastasia, Dragon's Lair), who also wrote the music and lyrics for two of the songs in this little gem of a short film. Yeah, it's a little cheesy and predictable, but it's also charming and beautifully animated in the classic Disney tradition.

Movies:

- Nightmare Before Christmas
    This movie is simply animated perfection. It really doesn't get any better than this. Of course, you have to appreciate dark comedy as well.

- Elf
    A modern Holiday classic.

- The Muppets Christmas Carol
    One of very few Jim Henson Productions produced since Henson's death that actually feels like a movie Jim Henson would've produced.

- A Christmas Story
    No matter how many times I see this movie, it never gets old and it's always funny.

- A Christmas Carol
    Of all the versions of this that have been produced, my top favorites are the ones starring George C. Scott (1984), Patrick Stewart (1999), Bill Murray (Scrooged, 1988), Alistair Sim (1951), and Michael Caine and the aforementioned Muppets (1992). The 1938 version starring Reginald Owen is pretty good too, but I just don't call it a favorite.

- Ernest Saves Christmas
    Although I'm sick to death of the tired formula of someone needing to "save" Christmas in so many cheesy holiday specials and movies, I do have a soft spot for this one, mainly because I was a fan of Jim Varney from the very first time I saw one of his Ernest TV commercials. It is a fun, family movie and my family watches it every year when we get together for the holidays.

20. Spiderus Prime

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Frosty the Snowman has a Evil Magician to get he's hat back on Frosty's head.