Christian Bale Vs. Michael Keaton

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Jun 1, 2014.

?

preferred Batman/Bruce Wayne

1. Christian Bale

48 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Michael Keaton

84 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, that is an option too. but, i just do not see how it can be interrupted that batman didn't let him die.

even if it was to save Gordon. he still did it.

just because he is a psychopath, doesn't mean he can't act logical. again, normal people do not smile as they strap a bomb on to another person. even if he was a "thug."

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm hard pressed to find many characters in any batman film that you can define as normal. You're trying to throw around normal and that's not how people operate in the real world, but the Burton films aren't meant to evoke the real world.

And by your definition of psychopath, the would include basically every super hero. Black widow enjoys being a spy, psychopath. Peter parker becomes spiderman to track down his uncle Bens killer, psychopath.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the point isn't what he is doing. the point is that he is doing it with a smile. LIKE he is enjoying murdering people.

4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

because Batman was no where to be seen when Jack picked up his gun, first pointed it in Bat's former spot, then turned spoke to the fat cop, pointed and shot.

His appearance after the shot is not proof he was there when the shot was taken

sure, he was close enough after the shot was taken.
    but not while it was taken.

Batman didnt have reason to think Jack would try to kill one of their own crooked cops.Bat's went into hiding when he knew Jack would point the gun at him[meaning bats] not Eckhart, which makes a lot of sense to me.
    He also had to consider Gordan [who had a gun to his head] and any other good cops around.
    either way you look at it , trying to do something would have gotten himself or others killed

theres just no way to say for sure he let the guy get killed

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Batman's whole no killing rule. . . ehhh. . . pretty much every version of the character has broken that rule except maybe the Adam West Batman and some cartoon versions. Typically he won't lose any sleep over it, if they die by means of their own weapons being turned against them or something. Like the clown bomb in Returns. He's set up these personal rules as his own ideal to strive towards, but sometimes the situations don't allow him to live up to his own ideals.

Like how an ideal cop would always prefer to bring in a bad guy alive and in cuffs, but sometimes that option isn't available.

But whatever we think, Batman definitely has mental problems of some sort. Whether he's a schizophrenic or a psychopath or what- he's got problems and dressing up as Batman every night is his way of avoiding them. Sure, he temporarily works out his demons by beating up bad guys, but the fact that he's never retired the cape and cowl suggests that it's like slapping a band-aid onto a dam that's about to burst.

Oh yeah- despite what DC says, I actually find Bruce Wayne to be the true personality and Batman really is the disguise. I think the whole "Bruce is just the mask that he puts on to maintain appearances" excuse to be a big ol' load of elephant excrement.

If Batman is the real personality, then why not just tell everyone that Bruce moved somewhere far away? Why bother maintaining the persona at all if he could fight crime more easily without all the added distractions that come with being Bruce? He could lock up the mansion and live in the bat cave all day. He could literally cut that entire part of his life out and focus solely on being Batman day and night. Except that without Bruce, Batman isn't nearly half as interesting as he is.

6. Altered Prime

if he was to abandon the "Bruce persona" all together, then how would he pay for everything he needs to be Batman?

the investors at Wayne industries, or what ever its called would eventually move to have Bruce Wayne declared dead so they could do buisness anyway they want.
    Sure, Alfie would inherent a big sum, but that would only carry Batmans war on crime so far.Sooner or later he will run out of funs.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I want to believe this as well.

8. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I say his real persona is when he is with Alfred. Thats when he is his true self is ever.

9. smkspy

At least for me, it's not that Batman is the real personality, but that Bruce Wayne died the night his parents were murdered and the Batman took his place. So while the Batman isn't his real personality, it is the dominate one.

10. Altered Prime

how can it be the dominate one and not be the real one?

and I'm sure the "Bruce" he might have been died when his parents were killed, but none of us are still the same "persona"s we were when we were 8/10
    I think Hotshotprime43 is right, when hes with Alfred, Dick, Tim and his other adopted family members is when I think his true person emerges most.
    When he is with them he can be both persona, because thats what he really is.Both.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I get what you mean by that. That normal life Bruce could have had died that night.

I do agree with you that Bruce is probably truly himself with his "family".

12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Who said he needs to fake his death? Just tell people he's moving abroad or something. He leaves his loyal staff in charge of things, money keeps getting funneled into his personal account, Wayne Enterprise keeps running without him, and he can basically run around Gotham doing whatever he wants.

I agree that Bruce seems to be truly himself when he's around Alfred. Mainly because Al is the one person that isn't scared by his alter ego and won't put up with his BS. :) 

13. Altered Prime

never said he had to fake his death, but theres no way "moving abroad" is really going to fly.

leave the company to his loyal staff?
    what loyal staff?
    even in the 2nd film the only 'loyal staff" he had at the company was Fox and Fox wasnt able to insure that an other employees didnt find out where the money was going., if you dont remember what I'm talking about is that guy that figured out who Batman was and tried to extort money.

and I dont think Fox is in on the secret in the comics.
    the company is way too big with way too many emploies, theres no way to keep the loss of that much money with out being a public active part of the company

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Good thing it's a work of fiction & they can write it that way if they want. Kinda like how Clark Kent's disguise is super weak, but the fiction dictates that it works.

15. Altered Prime

guess you got a good point on that

16. smkspy

To be fair though, when Clark Kent's disguise was created in the late 30s it wasn't all that weak and could have easily worked in a real world setting. It's only today that the fiction demands that it work.

17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

18. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Bale's Batman voice was utterly stupid.

19. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I didn't think it was too bad in "Begins" except for Flass' interrogation, but past that, yeah, it got pretty bad in the sequels. The Batgrowl comes nowhere near as close to being effective as Keaton's and Conroy's more restrained approaches.

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    can you expand on that?

What was so different back in the thirties? To be honest the best it's ever worked for me was with Christopher Reeve, because he played Clark Kent/Superman as distinct characters.