Christian Bale Vs. Michael Keaton

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, Jun 1, 2014.

?

preferred Batman/Bruce Wayne

1. Christian Bale

48 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Michael Keaton

84 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Iam in a Batman mood right now and want to see who is the preferred actor as Batman/Bruce Wayne. Sure there are more actors then these two but these are probably the most popular live action portray of Batman. (Besides Adam West but that a whole another subject) If you asked me three years ago I would have said Keaton but I now consider Bale to be the definitive live action Batman. My reasons are he plays more sides then Keaton. Bale as to play the playboy Bruce Wayne, the personal Bruce Wayne, and the Batman. There are more angles to his character and is much more developed. Keaton is just a guy when he is Bruce Wayne and I don't get much more then that. Although Keaton does have the better Batman voice so he gets a point there. But although Bale's voice got worse as the trilogy went on I did believe that this guy could physically be Batman. Mostly in Begins I think he was in the best shape. He has the height and build to be Batman. Keaton kind of a small guy who looks nothing like the Batman looks like in the comics without fake muscles.

So my vote goes towards Christian Bale.

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Keaton. The guy gave Batman a distinctly psychotic streak that fit the character very well.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Bale had the better Script and action scenes, but Keaton had the better Batman personality...plus you could understand what he was actually saying.

4. bourdon

bourdon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Adam West is the best!

5. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Michael Keaton's portrayal coupled with Tim Burton's direction made both Batman and Bruce Wayne mysterious characters. Whenever I see them there's this eerie atmosphere surrounding them and this version of Bruce Wayne was more subtle and acted like a normal guy. As Batman I like the costume more because it looks like a superhero costume and I like how "theatrical" he gets in his entries and escapes. Like, I don't know... a comic book?!

Christian Bale while good as Batman for the most part, I didn't find his Bruce Wayne interesting. When I think about him the first thing that comes to mind is his fake smile he makes whenever he tries to act like a goofball and I didn't like how he's such a show off like he tries too hard. And since we know his origin there's not really a sense of mystery like Michael Keaton's version. As Batman, well there's no need to mention his voice because that voice to be honest ruined Christian Bale as a serious actor to me. I honestly could not take him seriously in Terminator Salvation due to his voice when he screams and all his scenes turn narmy as a result. Not a big fan of his costume either. It looks more like a biker outfit you buy at a sports shop than a superhero costume and his head looks off to me.

6. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

Keaton was better has Bruce, Bale as Batman.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No Val Kilmer option?

Good. :D 

8. Hotshotprime43

Although I go with Bale as the whole my opinion is basically flipped of this. I find Bale to be the better Bruce Wayne and acting wise Keaton the better Batman.(just cause of voice) Although Bale is physically fit for the role which makes it even un terms of Batman.

9. Hotshotprime43

Thats my problem with Keaton he just seems to be a guy. I don't get much development or personality from him.

10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Keaton over McGruff...oh I mean Bale, any day.

My big question would be, Nicholson or Ledger as The Joker? Two totally different takes on the character, but both were equally awesome.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I'm going with neither and instead going with Kevin Conroy. He's my preferred actor of the Bruce Wayne Batman.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I find Christian Bales Batman Begins physique the least convincing of his Batman films to be honest, he had just come off the Machinest and ramped on the weight too quickly, so while he was big/bulky he wasn't cut enough to be convincing as a proper fighter.

Keaton gets my vote, he was mysterious and Batman should be somewhat mysterious.

13. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Kevin Conroy. Check out "The Daly Show: Batman vs Superman" for his live-action Batman appearance.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Michael Keaton is the better Batman but Christian Bale is the better Bruce Wayne.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I've always been more a fan of "creature of the night" Batman than "urban commando" Batman. Both in the comics and in the movies. So I guess my vote goes to Keaton, as well.

But really, they are completely different characters. Keaton was playing the Golden Age Batman, and Bale was playing the 1970s-1980s (and a touch of 1990s) Batman. They were both right for what their respective movies were going for.

But I do have to say, as much as I love Batman Begins, Nolan completely botched his version of the "Who are you?/I'm Batman" scene. If you compare Keaton Batman's introduction by sneaking up on the rooftop crooks with the equivalent Bale Batman's intro scene of sneaking up on the waterfront crooks, the Bale version is pathetically underwhelming.

16. Hotshotprime43

I agree how Keaton is Golden Age Batman and Bale 70s-90s Batman but I do not understand how you find Bale introduction underwhelming. Both are great in their own way but still I would not call the scene underwhelming.

17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Michael Keaton.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Michael Keaton is Batman.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bale hands down. Keaton was a great Batman but his Wayne sucked. Bale, on the other hand, sans voice, was the perfect Wayne and excellent as Batman, and you need to be able to do both in order to be great.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm gonna go with neither. Both have pros and cons, but both are not really given equal representation and both are portrayed in radically different ways.

I think my favorite is Kilmer, just because I enjoy his character arc more.