Customs: Choosing the best colors for Movie Customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rogzilla, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I apologize in advance as I wish to give a little backstore. You may skip to the bolded if you want.

OK, so I am still pretty new to this whole customizing/repainting this. So far, I have only done experiements with things like my First Strike Prime and Protoform Prime, repainting them and really making them my own.

So far, I have been using Testors Acrylic. At first, when I was just trying it out, I was using a kit I got at a Fred Meyers for $22 that came with a bunch of smaller paint jars, some sand paper, a hobby knife, cemenet, ect. It is not a bad set but they are not the nicest acrylics I have ever used. However, they worked for the experiment and I had a blast doing it.

Next, I found a local hobby store that had Testors Model Masters, Gamer Workshops, and Tamiya paints. I picked up some metallic colors and went to town on my Protoform. Boy howdy, did it make a difference in the feel of the character, as well as quality.

Well, I am ready for the big trip. This weekend I am going down to my local hobby store and I am going to buy the HELL out of the paints, get nicer brushes, etc. I do, however, have a budget to keep in mind so I can't pick up EVERYTHING.

For repainting movie toys, what is your regular pallette? What colors do you use for what characters?

I current have/use Testors Model Masters:
    Gloss black
    Aluminum
    Steel
    Rust
    Brass
    Jet Exhaust
    Gunship
    (Did not include the colors I got in the set as I do not plan on using them much except on smaller peices or for mixing colors).

If you wouldn't mind, include the brand you use too, as I know from 4 years of art college that it REALLY matters. Though I am using Testors Model Masters, I am very open to using another brand if they have a better color (ie-I hear Tamiya has really great "clear" colors).

Thank you everyone for your help! I am aware that this is a really general question, not specifying character or anything, but I am looking to have a default set and to pick up more as needed.

EDIT-I should note that I think this thread could also be a good resource for other new Radicons, as well as a place to discuss color usage and theory. A place people can discuss what is working and what isn't working. What to avoid, etc. I did a search and didn't come up with anything like that.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You pretty much nailed my palette , however I prefer the metallics of enamels.

These are typically used on all my movie-verse customs:

Gloss black
    Black Chrome Trim
    Chrome
    Aluminum
    Steel
    Rust
    Gold
    Brass
    Copper
    Jet Exhaust
    Gunship Gray
    Neutral Gray
    Primer Gray
    Matte Chrome White Trim
    Gloss White

When painting tail lights:
    Flat Red
    Metallic Red (over)

3. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    Hey FR, which brands do you prefer or you you just get what's available?

thanks!

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I love my Testors Model Master enamels for details. On occassion, I've used Boyd enamels, but they dry too quickly for my taste.

5. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Thanks FR!

What do you use for eyes? I saw on another thread that you use a certain brush for them (it looked like a liner brush, if I recall correctly). But do you have a default autobot/decepticon color you use, or just whatever you have on hand? The eyes always pop in the same way the as they do in the movie so whatever you are doing, you are doing right!

I may eventually move to enamels. They deffinately provide good results when done correctly. But I think I will wait until I can have a workspace where our two cats wont be around me at all times. (I currently work in the living room on my wife's sewing table...cannot wait until we move into a house!)

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    haha. somehow my cats find their way to my work table whenever I leave small parts out, and play hockey with those parts. Sometimes, I'll find essential parts in another room of the house, under a coffee table or something. The cats also somehow like to get their hair on freshly painted customs....

I use Jabber blue for the Autobot eyes, mixed with a bit of white, and highlight them in spots with lighter shades. Con eyes I typically use regular red and accent with a touch of orange-red.

7. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Excellent, my shopping list grows! Muahahahahahahaha!

That was about what I expected, in terms of making them pop. If just stright white was done for highlights, the would look milky and flat. Even if it was mixed into your base color then applied, it still wouldn't pop. I am deffinately going to have fun this trip! ^_^