Choice of Alt Modes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Did the Autobots and Decepticons at any point have a choice of what alt-mode they wanted to disguise themselves as?

I think in Bay's movie they did by seeing something of similar-size and duplicating that object.

What do you think?

2. Prime Killer

Prime Killer Omega Class

I have no reason to see it otherwise, however, in my opinion the intended purpose of alt modes is mainly for transportation purposes. They could just choose whatever suited their needs instead of mimicking another form. Being on Cybertron, where every vehicle is probably a transformer of some sort, would minimize the advantages of disguising yourself as one (as opposed to on Earth). Unless they transformed into enemy vehicles ala Longarm/Shockwave of coarse.

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think in G1, when Teletraan-1 was orchestrating the reformatting, it just chose vehicles and stuff that was approximate in size and function to what the characters already were.

Fun side-note: I've long harbored the belief that Teletraan-1 somehow invented mass-shifting here. Case in point: Soundwave. In "More Than Meets the Eye Part 1," we saw Soundwave's Cybertron mode. He was a... well, a light-pole, or a tree, or... okay, he was probably a communication relay tower... or something. Anyway, he didn't mass-shift when he transformed. No one did, including Shockwave, who turned into a gun but didn't shrink down to fit in someone else's hand. If Megatron also turned into a gun in the pre-Earth cartoon continuity, I doubt he shrunk down either. But when Teletraan-1 reformatted them, a gun and a cassette player were the most analogous pieces of Earth equipment available to their original Cybertronian forms. A giant gun and a giant cassette player wouldn't have fit in very well, so presto! Mass-shifting.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Then how do you explain all the spaceformers (Cosmos, Omega Supreme, Astrotrain, Jetfire) and others who weren't reformatted by Teletraan-1, but were some of the worst size shifting offenders?

Personally, after my rant about how the "Transformer" movies aren't, I'd say that no, they can't become whatever they want to be, they work within certain parameters, within the frame of their size, transformation scheme, and whatnot. Bumblebee doesn't have to become a VW, he could be a Yaris, a Mini, etc, but he can't become a B-52 Bomber or an aircraft carrier. I suppose a class system really. Anything in that class, but only that which is in your class, so to say.

5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I'd have to agree that I think their choices are limited to their overall dimensions in size. In regards to mass-shifting, does anyone else think it slightly humorous that when Soundwave ejects the tapes in robot mode they're gigantic? Yet when they transform into robots they're about seven feet tall or so. That's probably close to the overall mass of their giant-cassette modes. Yet it makes me think - if Soundwave was a tape deck and ejected Rumble, would Rumble's robot mode only be a few inches tall, or would it mass-shift into the same robot that the jumbo-cassette uses? In the cartoon he became giant, sure, but in relativity he should transforms into a robot proportionately equal to his transformation. Weird - but this is fiction so its all good!

~Z

6. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    We never saw Cosmos and Astrotrain on Cybertron at a point before the Transformers crashed on Earth. It's possible mass-shifting tech was applied to their transforms in the modern era.

I'd always assumed that the Guardian Robots did not transform, so again, Omega Supreme might be a "customized" Guardian whose transform was modded to incorporate mass-shifting in the modern era.

Jetfire... hmm, that's a good one... Let me get back to you on that...

7. Tigertrack

Uh, when did this thread get from choice of mode to mass shifting?
    My question was, did they ever have a choice as for what they wanted to transform into? Size or not?

8. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

there where lots of mass/size shifting problems, soundwave, megatron. But also motormaster, actually as truck with trailer he would be huge, but in the cartoon he isnt taller as the other stunticons.Also all combiners have size problems.
    Actually i find the idea of megatron being a gun, soundwave being a tape player pretty lame, why cant megatron be a tank and soundwave not a Van or something, Ravage could be a extra tire, Rumble the engine block, Laserbeak maybe a satellite dish.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Depens on the continuity. In the G1 cartoon not, since Teletran-1 rebuilt them into their Earth forms. In Animated, the computer likewise picks for them. In Bayformers, the select their own. In Cybertron, they select their own in a first come, first serve kind of way, using previously downloaded data..

10. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Sometimes they did, sometimes they didnt and sometimes it was unclear. Does that answer you question? ;) 

11. Tigertrack

That's too easy of an answer! :D 

12. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    My fault! *Raises hand*
    Sorry, mass-shifting is one of the great all-time hot-button issues in the TF community. I knew going in and I still brought it up, even though its relevance to your question was tenuous at best.

To really answer the question, I say no, they did not have a choice. They had to become the closest Earth analogue to whatever their Cybertronian mode was. Megatron=gun on Cybertron, gun on Earth. Bumblebee=compact car on Cybertron, compact car on Earth, etc.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Because it's an inherant part of the question. If a Minicon wants to have an alt-mode of a Cybertronian Crusier like the Axalon or The Ark, there has to be mass shifting. Otherwise you answer the question yourself, no mass shifting means definate size constraints to the alt mode.

If a minicon can't become The Empire State Building and Metroplex can't become a pedal bicycle, then why ask if they have a choice? In either case, see my prior post.

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    If your refering to G1 cartoon, some did (say everyone after Optimus Prime), some didn't I would assume (Like Skywarp).

In G1 Comic Marvel/UK, most didn't originally.

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I would imagine, depending on continuity, there are certain parameters they have to stick with, especially as regards function and onboard systems.

Mass-shifting also seems to work down for the most part. Normally, the robot mode is bigger than the alt, with very few exceptions, like Astrotrain and Broadside.

But look at a Seeker. Whatever alt mode they take, it sort of has to be a flying machine of some sort, due to them having flight capability and wings in their robot mode. Someone like Jazz doesn't have the systems to be a jet.

- Coeloptera

16. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I wonder how Alternity will deal with this, if they develop any fiction for it.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in Alternity its pointed out that Prime picked the GTR as it tricked the most boxes for what he wanted to do so I don't see why screamer would be any different... now why he chose a car I dunno (well apart form the whole selling toys aspect) but I don't think that he really needs a jet mode now that he has the god haxx alternity brings with it

18. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Nope. Teletraan-1 played mommy and chose the alt modes for them. Kind of wierd how it made all of the bad guys military and the good guys civilian. Was that on purpose? (referring to Teletraan-1)

19. Tigertrack

It would make sense for the Decepticons to be military vehicles. After all, weren't they the militant bot's on Cybertron?

20. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Warpath and Powerglide are military machines.

Soundwave was a tape player. The Constructicons weren't military vehicles.

But as Marcatron noted, in the G1 toon the 'cons were military hardware and the Autobots consumer goods.

Then again, see the above exceptions.

- Coeloptera