chinese g1 dvd tin box set question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ssjautobot, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
  2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
  3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    There have been a ton of threads about this set in the past.

In summation: it's good.

4. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    It's outstanding, once you figure out which menu option plays the episodes in english without subtitles. You can't beat it.

5. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i own the set and i think it's pretty good. but yeah, the menu thing is kinda whacked, lol. there's no text and u just select a different part of the autobot symbol to activate different parts of the dvd, hahah.

i also thought it was kinda weird that the Trans was separated from the Formers part. but that's the way it's printed on a lot of stuffs so whatevs.

i believe the audio and video were redone on some parts, with more focus on the audio tho. the laser shots and blaster fire rings very distinct.

i got mine for $45, whoohoo! and for that, i consider it a steal and well worth the moolahs.

- ko

6. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

It’s a good set if you can get a good price on it. The only thing I did notice had pixilation was the Transformers: The Movie dvd since they also crammed in a couple G1 episodes onto the same dvd instead of making a separate version for the movie.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have the set and its good

8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Agreed that the set is worth it provided you can get a good price.

My biggest disappointment is that the episodes in Season 2 and 3 aren't all in order. There are one or two that aren't where they should be.

Picture-wise, the animation mistakes are still there but it's the remastered version same as the Rhino sets. Audio-wise they have the additional sounds, again like the Rhino set.

I also miss the bumpers that were before and after the commercials. It's good they aren't there since you can essentially watch an episode straight through, but it would have been nice to see those added in as an extra or actually in the episodes. Yeah, they got repetitious on the Rhino sets but I'd still like to have them on this set too.

And it's already been mentioned that there is no translation for the menus so you'll have to figure them out. They aren't too complicated but I still have this feeling like I've missed something and that there are some easter eggs somewhere. That may not actually be the case, it's just a feeling I have.

The best part, IMHO, is the artwork included, both in the DVD "book" and the postcards. Very nice stuff. I would have liked to see more English in the DVD book but it is, afterall, a Chinese set. The only thing that's in English are the character names. But the artwork is a mix of various comicbooks, especially the earlier ones. There's a really nice pic of Sunstorm on one of the pages.

Overall, very nice - I give it an A-

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  9. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Buy it.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have it and I'm very pleased with it.

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Bought it for $40 with free shipping, and its money very, VERY well spent.
    I noticed that the picture and color on the tin set is MUCH brighter and less grainy than the Rhino set. Did any one else notice this? Also it is in 5.1 Stereo, Rhino is only 2.0 if memory serves.
    The menu at least for me, I figured it out real fast. No issues there at all for me.

Also consider this:
    If Sony releases these again(like they are saying) they would be split up by season again and probably upwards of $200-$300+ for the whole set and they would most likely not sound or look any better(probably more extras though).

If you can get it for a decent price, BUY IT NOW!

12. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    So does that website take paypal if so I cant find the paypal link.
    *edit* never mind found it...

13. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Wow. After looking on Ebay, I see the price has gone up considerably since I bought my Tin box set for a measly $40.

I would try Ebay first, try to get it as cheap as possible.

The guy I bought mine from isn't selling them anymore unfortunately.
    He was selling them with free shipping from Hong Kong for $40, it was at my door in 6 days. I was pretty damned impressed to say the least.

14. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

Worth it. :D