Chinese '90's reissues- did Hasbro use old stock?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by galvatron1701, Feb 2, 2012.

1. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Hi all,

I have a MOSC Beastbox and Squawktalk. I have always assumed it to be a chinese reissue due to a chinese label in the upper right hand corner.

However, today I had a closer look at it (which I haven't in many years) and discovered a long black sticker on the back of the card. This sticker was placed next to the date and 'Hasbro'. I managed to peel off a bit of the sticker at either end, and beneath were the words 'made in Macau....Takara'.

So, what is it that I have? An original 1988 pack of cassettes that was sent to China, or some kind of Takara made Chinese reissue? I have compared it to my Chinese issue Seaspray and there are differences in the trademarks, though I can't see the trademarks on the actual figures.

For those that don't know, in the early '90's Hasbro finally released TF's in China. These were made in China and as such did not have the Takara stamp on them. I think they are known as reissues to distinguish between the later releases and the originals from the 80's.

I think thats right anyway lol

2. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
  3. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

I've had a look at that site but I can't find anything useful for this particular issue.

My best guess would be that this is an original 80's production which was sent to asia for release. That explains the normal Habro/Takara markings on the card which were blacked out.

4. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought I had heard that the Hasbro markings remained, but any trace of Takara or Japan were removed due to some..."hard feelings" between the Chinese and Japanese.

5. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

That is correct, my Seaspray only has the Hasbro name on the bottem. Unfortunately I can't check the cassettes as they are sealed.

6. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excerpt from the article:

For a long time people thought that 1990's Chinese reissues were unlicensed knockoffs. However, they are in fact real Hasbro releases.

7. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

I'm not disputing its authenticity, I'm wondering whether its a chinese release as described by that site or an American release that has been adapted for sale in China (by blacking out the Takara markings on the card)

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know, I think my Squawktalk and Beastbox are these same Chinese releases... I'll have to look and see. IIRC my card had a Chinese sticker too... I bought them in HK... probably in the late 80's/early 90's?

Exactly what is on the flipside of the card where the chinese sticker is? If it's a techspec or other bit I might have saved it and know for sure which ones I have, and see if they're the same as yours.

9. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    So, just to be clear, the Chinese label in the upper right is just a couple small Chinese characters, right?

That is damn weird. I wrote the article everyone is linking to, and this is the first I've heard of this hybrid version. The timing works, though, as Squawkbox came out in 1988 and the Chinese toys started being released in 1989.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well we'll see what version I have (I suspect its the China sticker) and see what markings are on the toys, I have them loose.

Edit
    Checked my Beastbox/Squawktalk, but when I reassembled the card from the 2 techspecs and instructions for Beastbox/Squawktalk and Squawkbox I find I'm missing the top portion of the card, so I can't verify mine as 'chinese' even though they were bought in HK.

Also, the markings on the toys themselves read Hasbro 1987 and Takara 1987 Macau, so mini look like they were proper US releases but were sold in HK.

So, absolutely no help at all to you. :( 

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Thanks for looking anyway Tikgnat.

@Might Gaine, That's exactly it, they have the Chinese characters in the corner but blacked out markings on the back. I don't want to rip the sticker off as it may damage the card, but I can peel away the edges.

I can make out 'made in Macau and...', and then the other end has 'Takara Co., L'.

Now here's something else I didn't notice, after the 'Takara Co,. L' there is more blacking out with what appears to be marker pen which goes on for about an inch. There's no way to see whats under it.

Also, there is another sticker near to the robot point coupon of Chinese characters. I'm gonna see if my partner can read them tonight.

I'll try and get a picture taken over the weekend.

I'm such an idiot, I can see the markings on the figures as clear as daylight! They do say Hasbro and Takara 1987, though Squawktalk has what looks like some blotting out- there's a raised area of plastic next to the Takara and date stamp, similar to that of the Chinese Seaspray. Could this have been the Macau stamp?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    @galvatron1701: yeah I'd love to see some pics of that. trying to categorize all the different little variants. and if this is one I've never seen before... would be an interesting find.

13. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Ok, Have taken some pics and I apologise for the quality. You can see the sticker up close in two of them.

Attached Files:

14. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    Someone else would probably be better to comment on the packaging. All I can say is the sticker on the top right of the front looks to match the HK Chinese Macau variants. Link found here: FredsWorkshop.com

What I'm curious about is the manufacture stamps on the cassettes. You mentioned an upraised area of plastic next to the Takara and date stamp. The set I have which I imagine is the opposite of yours is as follows:
    • Beastbox stamped: c 1987 Hasbro, c Takara 1987, Macau (on grey leg piece of decal side)
    • Squawktalk stamped: c Takara 1987 Macau (on left of decal side) c 1987 Hasbro Inc (on right of decal side)
    Could you possibly let me know if these match yous? If they dont any way of getting some clearer pics of the cassette/stamps and/or what exactly the figures are stamped. Might be hard to make out Beastbox since its sealed in the plastic.

Sidenote: got a listing of all the cassette variants I'm familiar with in link in my signature (Definitive TF Cassette List) along with stamps and any distinguishable stickers or markings. the hk variants are listed under set HK and HK No Rub.

15. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    Disregard. Was able to acquire one off a guy off the forums. Just gotta wait on receipt.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012