Chikusho! Viz to end fansubbing of Deathnote

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cheetatron, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

http://kuro-hanasubs.com/kurohanaviz.jpg
    Sad news to inform all off our watchers for Death Note.

We have just received a C&D(Cease and Desist) from VIZ Media stating for us to stop all distribution of Death Note by 22nd June 2007.
    (This letter has also been served to Animanda, c1anime? & Several Death Note fan sites.)

Naturally, we will comply with Viz’s request and cease all distribution/subbing activities of Death Note.

"Originally, we started subbing Death Note because we enjoyed it and wanted provide the anime community with fast, reliable subs. But Death Note is licensed, and Viz has requested that we cease our subbing and distribution of Death Note. So we leave it to you, Viz, to continue bringing this great anime to the English-speaking world, and we urge our Death Note fans to support Viz’s official Death Note releases. It’s been a pleasure subbing Death Note for you all, and we hope you’ll stick around as we embark on other projects"

Just 2 episodes left and i have to worry cause viz owns the rights to Naruto and Bleach among others too

2. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Shoot. I guess now wouldn't be a good time for me to check it out then, huh. I've only heard good things about the series though. Hope Viz doesn't screw it up.

3. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It figures that Viz would pull something like this right at the end, with two episodes left of course they have to stop the fansubbers or else there won't be a reason to buy their region one releases >.>; I'll just wait for the raws to come out and try to understand it the best I can. I'm fluent enough in spoken Japanese to watch it despite I won't be able to understand it as well as if I could read it in English subtitles. There is still a chance that they might get the second to last episode out, because it will be released on June 19th in Japan. It would give them 3 days to release the subbed episode before they'd have to take it down.

4. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I have a feeling someone will still sub somewhere , I mean we still get subbed bleach and naruto....

then again what do I care, they got part part I recognize
    "there is only one L do not I repeat DO NOT ACCEPT Imitations"*Im looking at you you L wannabes.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^As far as I can tell Viz hasnt sent out C&Ds to any of the Naruto or bleach fan subbers so you cant really compare that situation to this one

6. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

True, maybe is a different sector what do I know, We can have the same scenario of SEED of many Groups retiring and others taking its place.

It can go both ways you must admit.

-and even then Bootlegs are faster.....

7. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Better be careful, Viz might have the Shinigami Eyes.....

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

They can't stop all fansubbers. When one group quits, normally 2 more take it's place.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I picked up the live action movie today. I hope to be able to get the anime in the future.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^The anime is so much better than the live action movie imo
    well there were like 4 or so at one time but it dropped to 2 when viz got the anime license. Now Viz has sent C&Ds to the two groups who kept subbing even after the licensing so its not looking good.

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Heaven forbid that a company actually wants to make money off a property they've payed to have the license to.

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

To my knowledge Tennis no Ojisama aka P.O.T. was already completely fansubbed before it got licensed and it still appears to be quite profitable for whoever licensed it and Cartoon Network currently airs it.

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell I will be happy to see Viz put out the DVDs, I'd probably still get them.

14. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I will buy the DVD's of Deathnote. It isn't too long of a series.

Bleach and Naruto? hell no... I don't want to drop $1,000+ on just one series!

Average, 4eps per disk. Bleach is now up to episode 129 in Japan.
    So, that is 32 DVD's right there. At an average of $25 per DVD (CDN$) thats:
    $800

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    For Bleach, I'll consider season boxed sets, provided they're uncut and reasonably priced.

Personally though, if I were Viz, I would not have waited until the last two episodes to shut the fansubs down. I'd have done it as soon as the license was confirmed. At this point it is almost pointless, since the groups might just pull a "Spoon" or a "Haro Haro" and release the last two anyway under a different identity. But, kudos to them for doing it anyway. Fansubs are great, but I'd like more of my favourite shows to come out on DVD and this is the only way for it to happen.