Chicago Skyline is altered, not just damaged!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jimmy88, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey dudes Jimmy reporting from that one city, none other than that one that is getting trashed in the TF3 trailer and by studying the screenshots I noticed something strange. When I usually look at shots of downtown I always examine where it is, from this and always taking trips down there I know the skyline like the back of my hand. I looked at the one shot of the sky divers jumping out of the plane into the wrecked plane crashing. They changed the skyline, and I mean alot. On the left of the diver looks very familiar with the Prudential building and Navy Pier in the distance. Now this appears to be looking southeast. From there if you pan right Lake Michigan appears to be wrapping around the city rather than just along it. The other huge issue is that I was not recognizing the buildings on the right(looking south) and you know why that is??!!!! its because its the part of the Chicago skyline looking north, how do I know this??!!! That tall black building in the distance on the right on fire is the John Hancock center on the North end of the city. What does this mean, is Chicago really Chicago, is it a fictional city much like Gotham in The Dark Knight with much of the skyline changed with some CG stuff???? Unless the shot is inverted, but if that was the case the skyline would still be wrong including Navy Pier being on the wrong side.....Cause from the start its odd when you dont recognize part of your home town, well dudes let me know what you think.......

[​IMG]

2. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

Probably with CGI but its still looks Chicago

On another point YOUR CITY RULES

3. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    its deff a whole lot of CGI added and for the most part looks pretty amazing. Chicago is a awosme city i have family who live there.

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That is just Hollywood. Like in A-Team when they say they are at the Frankfurt Airport and all of a sudden the Cologne Dome stands right beside the Frankfurt Airport instead in Cologne! ;) 

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a cool find, actually. Shows that there is some talent behind the scenes.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a very simple explanation for this:

Bay just flipped the frame. Take the shot and do a 'flip horizontal' in Photoshop, and it'll all make sense.

Bay's no stranger to 'frame-flipping.' He did it on the 2007 film during the freeway chase scene. If you watch one scene, suddenly The Autobots are driving towards camera on the wrong side of the road!

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Here I thought the world's only V-22 Ospreys was blown up in the 2007 Movie.

8. cypherXR

cypherXR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. They do it in movie trailers all the time. It gives the effect of when you actually see the movie, it looks "new". Also Chicago is mentioned by name in the movie.

9. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yeah dudes I was thinking that, flipping it, but I am betting there are some CGI alterations to the frame other than just flipping it, I looked at it and it does appear that its all in the right spot but still some things seem off, perhaps its the 3-D cameras he was using??? dont know but we will soon find out......

10. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Oh yeah it still looks like Chicago totally, but perhaps its just because Im so familiar with the city and that I love it so much I guess I notice these things.......

11. uruseiranma

News Credits:
    Well, every other movie doesn't get Chicago's geography correct in some way or another.

Like in 'The Fugitive.' Kimball's train that he's on says the next stop is at Balbo...but there is no elevated Balbo St station. It also mentions 'Hilton Tower Mall,' which is also made-up.

Of course, The Dark Knight also played havoc with geography...though there it was more distracting because I couldn't help thinking 'Chicago' when I should have been thinking 'Gotham.' It's like the film coming out called 'Cedar Rapids.' They claim it takes place in Cedar Rapids, Iowa...but they never filmed any of it there!!!

12. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

I beleive it was confirmed a long time ago that the city in the movie is gonna be Chicago...not a fictional city. It is likely they just added in a few extra buildings and changed the composition a little bit to suit the shot and the CGI elements.

13. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    frame inversion (as its called) is done for a number of reason usually because there are better cgi points for the cgi artists to draw upon.

HOWEVER, when filming was going on there was some things local people noticed about street signs being incorrect or in the wrong spot. then there ws also the issue of the transit bus saying GTA (I think it was that) on the side instead of CTA or what normal Chicago transit busses say.

HOWEVER, Michael Bay said in a local news broadcast, something Chicago would indeed be Chicago in the movie, or something like that.

HOWEVER, this is Michael Bay we are talking about.

14. uruseiranma

News Credits:

Yeah, I'm sure we won't get some fictitious city name like in the first movie.

I remember thinking, 'wha-Mission City?' My problem was there were all these familiar landmarks...and they meant for us to disassociate them with L.A. (like the Griffith Observatory)?

15. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    nice find

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Hmmm looks like someone failed Bayography
    Lesson One

[​IMG]

17. Lurkertron

Lurkertron Rockerbot

Any better?

[​IMG]

18. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    That's Chicago all right. They probably did just flip the shot, to make it look like a new city.

19. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yep just did it myself earlier today too, amazing what a flip shot can do, isnt it??:) 

20. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    LOL:)