Chibi-Devs (100% Finished!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Treadshot A1, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Sigh.

Okay, so the Predaking project is great and all, but it still needs Sledge as a base, and i wanted a combiner of my own, designed completely from scratch. So, for that, i'm knocking out my own custom Devs through Shapeways. It will be able to split into the 6 Constructicons, all fully transformable, and the Combiner should have some articulation. I'm going to say this upfront, it's likely to be a cheat combiner, i.e. use some extra combiner parts.

Secondly, he is called Chibi-Devs for a reason. Anyone who's seen my Headstrong over in Radicons Customs knows that the proportions are deliberately made to be, um, super-deformed. Not too 'cutesy', but deformed nonetheless.

First up is Chibi-Hook:

[​IMG]

*Note: Picture omits ball joints, because moving those around in Sketchup is a pain.

Hook here will form Dev's upper torso in combiner mode. I have to take a moment here to thank Ptitvite, because i based Hook's combiner placement on his Ptitvastator. Anyways, I took inspiration from RID Hightower (which explains the four static wheels) and G1 Hook, and came up with this. Hope you guys like it.

(Chibi-Scav and Chibi-Mix are on their way)

*No, this project won't be cheap. Thanks a lot, Shapeways... :lol *
    **Ramrider may complain about the level of detail now**

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  2. Treadshot A1

Here's Chibi-Scav!

[​IMG]

*Note: Ball joints omitted for convenience

Chibi-Scav forms Devs' right shoulder in combiner mode. Probably the hardest part was aligning the tank treads, and making sure the wheels and seams matched. I think i got it pretty close in the end. I also made sure to give him a moving scoop arm, which is hinged just behind the cabin. Hope you like it.

I based his head on this image from TFU: http://www.tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Scavenger/cartoonshot.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Treadshot A1

Chibi-Haul!

[​IMG]

*Note: Ball joints omitted for convenience's sake.

Phew. Took a while to get this one right, but i finally got it after playing around with how the truck bed and cabin would attach. This one is a partsformer, in the sense that you do have to take his truck bed off and reattach it the other way. This also shows why the feet on these guys are so thin: Haul's cabin needed the space.

Anyways, Chibi-Haul will connect to Chibi-Hook as the lower torso, and also connects to the waist section. The truck bed will end up on Dev's back.

Attached Files:

4. Treadshot A1

Chibi-Crusher:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Treadshot A1

Chibi-Scrap:

[​IMG]

*As always, ball joints omitted because i'm lazy.

Attached Files:

6. mellowmut

mellowmut Sidekick

News Credits:
    Interesting idea. Curious to see how final product will be.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    im likin it!

8. Treadshot A1

Thanks you two. Here's Chibi-Mix, the final Constructicon (there's no robot mode because frankly it's the same as the last five with a different head)

[​IMG]

*ball joints omitted because it's easier that way

Yes, cement would pour out right onto the back of his head. :lol  Anyways, that's the last of the Constructicons, and surprisingly also the first one actually started. Just took me a while to get the transformation to work. In the end i just applied a simple swivel to the whole contraption (way to overcomplicate, Treadshot :banghead:  ) which remedied the issue. Now to get working on combining them into one big robot...

Attached Files:

9. Treadshot A1

[​IMG]

Just to whet the appetite, here's the basic prototypes for the combiner pieces. I realise it does use a few extra parts here and there, but i'm glad to say at least the combiner should have pretty good articulation. Arms to come later, and the head is still up for debate. All the parts will of course be hollowed and detailed, i'm just getting the basic geometry down first to ensure the proportions. Once that's done, then it'll be time to make this piece look good. ;)  I'm still working on the shoulder articulation, getting a balance between movement and weight. I'm thinking a ball joint, but we all know just how reliable those are when it comes to lifting weight.

More on the head: The kit will come with two heads, one that's more Geewun, and the other a custom head as i've never been a fan of Dev's G1 head design.

Attached Files:

10. Treadshot A1

I've gotten a bit more work done on this guy, and worked out the shoulder. Though it is a bit bulky, i'm quite happy with the added width it gives Devs.

Again, these are just the prototypes. Detail and colour coming later.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I love chibi's.....awesome.

12. Treadshot A1

[​IMG]

My first combiner, 95% done. All it needs are the two heads (G1 and custom), and then it will be done. Current head shown is a stand-in.

Also, the custom head i haven't yet decided on. If anyone wants to suggest cool heads that they think would work for a new Devs head design, please post pics in this thread!

Attached Files:

13. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Now that's looking cool. The red details give it an extra unity I feel. When we're talking G1, you mean the cartoon like the head you got there? I always liked the G1 toy head myself with the seperate eyes.

14. Treadshot A1

He had eyes in the cartoon? I've only ever associated Devs with this visored head. Not really su if I'll put in a third head, depends on the cost really...

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Yea in the Cartoon he had a visor and the Toy he had two optics instead of a visor.

It's looking good though man, can't wait to see it totally finished.

16. Treadshot A1

Well, I just checked TFU.info, and G1 Devs really does have eyes in toy form. Cool. That head would also be a lot easier to draw, so I think I'll probably include it as the stock head, along with the optional cartoon and custom head. Thanks guys!

17. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    No prob man, that's what we're here for.

18. Treadshot A1

Ouch. I just ran a calc on the price of this model, and it's a pain. I'm looking at ~$250, give or take. That's gonna mean selling a lot of my old toys, hopefully no TF's, but still, ouch. :( 

19. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Ouch, that is a pretty big hit, but at least you could have you're 1 of a kind Devastator.

20. Treadshot A1

Yeah. I just don't want to cull any of my toys, well, any that actually are valuable. Anything I want to sell, well, ain't worth much. :lol 

But yeah, Devs is so going to be worth it. I hope. :]