Chevrolet Volt in Transformers: ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Rollcage

Rollcage Dance Commander

It looks like the concept Camero. It's gonna be Cliffjumper.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ^^ Now that'd be awesome. :D 

3. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If either of those turns out to be the case, I am sold on trying to buy one when they come out.

4. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

i dont know about anybody else but i would like to see some european cars in the film, ones that you could really believe drive like that, american cars have power but go round corners like boats,

in my opinion that is.....

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Yay! Thats awesome for you dude! But what about the rest of the 80% of the US populace that doesn't own GM cars, let alone Chevys?

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Thats a total bunch of hooey right there. So what if GM hadn't signed the deal with Hasbro? Some other car company would have. Trust me on that one. What car company WOULDN'T want to show off their cars to millions of movie goers? Thats the lamest argument that I've ever heard. "Oh, GM saved the TF movie, it made the movie able even be created, without GM, this movie would have been horrible."

The fact is another car company would have been able to pick up the deal. Any car company would have loved to push their models and concepts to the movie going public. Thats is THE ultimate venue. No car company's marketing department is going to pass that up.

And honestly, are you saying that Hasbro has to pay GM everytime they show a Chevy on-screen? Thats ridiculous. I'd say close to 90% of the films out there have cars of some sort in the movies. So does every ONE of those films have to pay royalties anytime they use their vehicles? Think of it - each car company would be raking in the dough for almost every single movie. Do you think Dodge got royalties for the Dukes of Hazzard? Or VW got royalties for Herbie?

If anything, it should be the opposite. Almost like the Super Bowl where companies pay MILLIONS for 30 seconds of air time. They are getting a 2 hour long movie to showcase their products just for putting up a few dozen cars maybe worth $200,000 in total? And Hasbro has to pay GM?

Driving Miss Daisy had a car. Did they have to pay royalties there? Dude, where's my car? had a car. Even Harold and Kumar had a Civic. Do you think they had to pay royalties to Honda? I'd say no.

This movie MOST CERTAINLY could have had a diverse range of cars. It would have widened the target audience significantly and everyone would have been happy. It would have taken away some bite of this movie being one huge car commercial by at least having other brands.

7. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

The whole, "VW doesn't want anything to do with war" spiel

The whole, "VW doesn't want anything to do with war" spiel is something that Bay made up in an effort to shut up all the people who were pissed that Bumblebee wasn't a VW in the movie. I do agree that variety in cars would be better - I'd love to see some Lamborghinis, and other car makes just like the original G1 series. It makes it interesting.

8. Sablebot

Or a retro type car, such as Kup being a cyan-colored modified Chrysler Crossfire or P.T. Cruiser.

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    So the Autobots visit a Chevy Concept show and decide hey why not just all of us turn into chevy concepts cuz we'd be pretty inconspicuous driving around in a line as concept cars that aren't on the street yet. I'm just poking fun cuz I really don't care all that much. I do think it would be a sweet idea to have a good variety of cars from old to new to super tricked out.

Maybe this franchise can build to the point were they have vehicle themed movies like stunticons vs aerial bots or crazy illegal street races where the cars race for their life

10. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    No that's been know info since Alternators didn't do the VW. Everyone knows that :rolleyes: 

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I agree with everything you said. It would be awesome to see more "street racers" int he movies. I think having those Supras, Celicas, Evos, WRXs, Skylines, or even a few tricked out Civics or VWs would be awesome to see in the movie. I think the movie could really tap into all the young hot rodders out there driving these small fast cars. Right now, the TF movie is totally ignoring that section of the public - young males interested in cars. I mean, how many young males really drive Hummers and Pontiacs? No street racer would be caught dead in a Pontiac in this day and age.

But thats the other extreme. And I am not for that. I think diversity is the way to go. Right now, Hasbro has all the models that older guys go for- the big SUVs and Chevy muscle cars of yore. Thats fine. Lets not alienate them by not having those. But just make it more equally balanced. Throw in some younger rides like those Evos, Celicas, and Supras.

This is totally off topic, but does anyone know if they are going to bring back the Celica and Supra? Or even the Insight or del Sol? I think Honda and Toyota both have a lot of small speedsters they can bring back that would be instant hits with the younger crowd.

BTW, just so no one thinks I am digging at GM, I think the Volt is THE future of cars. Its almost a pure electric car with a Lithium Ion battery. Its a plug in. Its better than biofuels. Its better than hydrogen. Its better than diesel. I think Honda is going to lose a lot of ground by investing so much in hydrogen fuel cells. Only GM, Mitsubishi, and Nissan are making electrics their choice for the future. And I am looking forward to the Volt. They should make that BB's new ALT mode.

12. Sablebot

The whole realism thing

I see what you're saying Primus, but with all due respect, as much as Bay talks about wanting realism in these films, I have to repeat something someone else said: If the Autobots were real and came to earth, do you really think they would scan all Chevy cars - or would they scan something that was practical and convenient? And even still, how is it realistic that they'd scan CONCEPT cars only? That is one of my pet peeves with the films, even though I still like the movies.

As far as the Constructicons (if they even are in the movie), I don't recall Chevy making construction vehicles, unless Caterpillar is owned by Chevy. I hope that one of the combiners is in this film.

13. Sablebot

Japanese vehicles

Ok. . .but the irony of that statement is:
    a)If it wasn't for the Japanese coming up with the concept of transforming robots in the first place, there would be no Transformers;
    b)There was even a line that alluded to this fact in the first film where Shia says something about, "It's one of those Japanese robots";
    c)Going back to Bay's harping about realism, how real is it that the Autobots would come to earth and only scan ONE BRAND of car? I mean, come on!

14. Sablebot

My mistake - I thought that since Bay said on the DVD commentary, and in a Yahoo.com interview that he wanted to make Bumblebee a Camaro (which, let me make this straight - I actually thought there were some cool cars in the TF film) that the whole VW spiel was b.s. I stand corrected.

15. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    It's all good. I was just joking around anyway.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The VW story has been around since AT LEAST 2003, if not longer. That was when the movie was only just becoming more than just a possibility.

Besides, Bay never said anything negative about VW. He openly admitted that the only reason he didn't make Bumblebee a VW was because he didn't want people to think of Herbie the Love Bug.

17. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Exactly, and people used to laugh at me for saying it. Actually, if these robots wanted to disguise themselves, turning into space-age 100 000$ concept cars that nobody sees anywhere is probably the worst possible disguise. Think about it, these cars get people's attention all the time, even when they're NOT giant robots in disguise...

18. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While it doesn't affect me either way, what car companies they choose or what kind of cars they choose, I gotta agree here. If Bay really wanted realism we would have seen about 10 to 15 Camaro Concepts on the street with similar paint jobs. Unless we're gonna see Beats, Trax, and Volts up the wazoo on the streets in this movie, it won't support the realism Bay is yapping about.

19. Sablebot

Skowl's signature

Thanks, Skowl. By the way, I LOVE your signature. Reminds me of that, "Robot Chicken" episode where Soundwave is spending his current days as a Port-O-Let, ROFLMFAO!!!!

20. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Jazz landed near on Pontiac dealer. Mass landing near a Chevy/GM dealer, perhaps. Can be explained easily.

Likely not concept cars in the movie world. I doubt the screenwriters were trying to insinuate that Bumblebee just happened to scan a concept car that just happened to be on the road and driving right near him. Rather, the Concept Camaro was likely just another car on the road that's available at retail in "Movie World". Just like with any fictional movie, you have to forget reality.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008