chemical engineering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wavelength, Mar 16, 2007.

1. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

is anyone here work as one? whats the pay like? do you enjoy it?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Does home beer brewing count?

3. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I for one am no where near one, but It sounds like a very dangerous, yet well benifited job!

4. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Most liikely good pay and no insurance.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does "street physician" count?

6. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I had some home brewed wine this mourning, fresh out the barrel. Was strong and good and I consider that dude one smart engineering dude. He has the power and the knowledge to get you tanked!

7. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

according to wikipedia it is where they find the most ecomomical way of doing something, like crushing and draining an orange to make juice, whereas a chemist ( in a lab, not a pharmacy) whould use a juicer. aparrently it is alsi linked to coming upo with new materials like plastics according to that guy at the collage open evening i went to.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I got my B.S. in Chemical Engineering back in '99. Classical chemical engineering involves the development of methodologies/processes/equipment for the large scale production of chemically-derived products. Fundamentally, however, ChEs are process engineers and are able to apply their knowledge to many more types of problems than just chemical production.

The pay varies widely, depending upon the sector in which you get a job. The highest paying positions (entry level) are usually those at chemical plants, and the pay will likely be in the neighborhood of $53,000 per year.

I have never worked in a classical ChE capacity. I work for an environmental consulting firm where we develop methods for the management of environmental impacts. Much of my formal education comes into play (basic process engineering, chemistry, etc.) but I'm not designing any distillation columns or reactors. Keep in mind that most people that get a degree end up in a position that does not deal directly with the subject matter that they concentrated on in school. Many engineering education fundamentals can be applied to huge array of issues and really are just a way of thinking about things, e.g., logic and the scientific method.

If you are considering pursuing an education in ChE, be prepared for a boatload of math, chemistry, and some very non-tangible natural phenomena (heat flowing though materials, fluid dynamics, chemical reaction engineering, material and energy physics, etc.) Interesting degree for sure, but it is a lot of work. One of the toughest degrees to obtain, IMO.

Yeah, you'll find ChEs working in R&D capacities (material science, for example) as well as process design and improvement. And often times, its the chemists that come up with a new technique and the ChEs that figure out how to make it in a large scale.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you would like to know more!